Here are some blank maps for color and label in different languages.
SVG is a vector graphics format. SVG has advantages over PNG for creating world maps of arbitrary detail or zoom level, certain editing purposes, saving layers, and rescaling text, curves and lines. SVG is preferred: see Wikipedia:WikiProject_Maps.
BlankMap-World-with-Circles.svg: Robinson projection showing countries, dependencies and special-status territories, with smaller ones circled.
BlankMap-World-Sovereign Nations.svg: Robinson projection showing sovereign countries only, with smaller ones circled.
World98.svg: First level administrative boundaries of countries, anno 1998, intended to be used to generate other SVGs and PNG maps
Robinson projection with US state boundaries
BlankMap-Africa.svg; national borders
africa98.svg: national primary level divisions as of 1998
Arab world.svg: Map of Arabic-speaking countries
Asia98.svg: national primary level divisions as of 1998
Location Map Asia.svg: Gray location map of Asia based off national borders as of 2009
- Image:Loc bangladesh2.svg – Bangladesh (obsolete since Bangladesh has 7 divisions)
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Indian maps – India Map Project page. Many maps of India
- Image:India-locator-map-blank.svg – India with the states. States on a separate layer and can be removed if necessary.
Image:Blank map of Europe (with disputed regions).svg: national borders shown; borders of disputed regions shown as dotted lines; intranational boundaries of Europe not shown
Image:Blank map of Europe (without disputed regions).svg: national borders shown, excluding borders of disputed regions; intranational boundaries of Europe not shown
Image:Location European nation states.svg: national borders shown, excluding borders of disputed regions (but Kosovo exists as an invisible SVG object which can be styled separately from Serbia); Europe shaded differently from other areas, showing intranational boundaries
Image:Blank map of Europe (polar stereographic projection) cropped.svg: national borders shown, excluding borders of disputed regions; Europe shaded differently from other areas, showing intranational boundaries
Image:Europe polar stereographic Caucasus Urals boundary3.svg: national borders shown, excluding borders of disputed regions; Europe shaded differently from other areas, showing intranational boundaries
north_america98.svg: national primary level divisions as of 1998. Note that lakes are not shown, which makes the Great Lakes region, and in particular Michigan appear unusual since the administrative (over-water) boundaries are used.
- Image:Canada_blank_map.svg — Canada.
- File:Blank US Map (states only).svg — United States (including Alaska and Hawaii). Each state is its own vector image, meaning coloring states individually is very easy.
- File:Blank USA, w territories.svg – United States, including all major territories.
Caribbean / Central America
- Image:oceania98.svg – very large SVG including primary level divisions (states/provinces) of Oceania as of 1998.
Australia states blank.svg: Australian states as of 2011
- Image:south_america98.svg – very large SVG including primary level divisions (states/provinces) of South America as of 1998.
- Image:Latin America - First level political divisions.svg – Latin America
- Image:Southamerica blank.svg
- Image:Brazil Blank Map.svg – Brazilian states.
PNG is a raster graphics format. PNG has advantages over SVG including smaller filesize (due to less-than-optimal server-side SVG-to-raster conversion), more widely supported and often easier and faster to make simple changes to things such as borders.
- File:BlankMap-World-large.png – Standard world map.
- Image:BlankMap-World-large-noborders.png – above map with no national borders.
- Image:World map stripes for shading.PNG – World map with stripes for shading.
- Image:BlankMap-World-Subdivisions.PNG – World map with national subdivisions.
- Image:BlankMap-World-noborders.png – World without country borders.
- Image:BlankMap-World-UK.png – World with England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland marked.
- Image:BlankMap-World-Continents.PNG – World with continents marked, no country borders. Based on map found at continents. Excludes Antarctica.
- Image:BlankMap-World-Continents-Coloured.PNG World with continents marked, no country borders, contintents colour-coded. Excludes Antarctica.
- File:BlankMap-World-FIFA.png – World with borders of FIFA members.
- File:Pacific-centric-map.png – Pacific centric map.
These maps are now deprecated:
- Image:BlankMap-World.png – World map, Robinson projection centered on the meridian circa 11°15' to east from the Greenwich Prime Meridian. Microstates and island nations are generally represented by single or few pixels approximate to the capital; all territories indicated in the UN listing of territories and regions are exhibited. Quite large – 1480 x 625 pixels, 62 628 bytes.
- Image:BlankMap-World-alt.png – Version of Image:BlankMap-World.png, but including the peripheral projection lines and Antarctica. 1488 x 755 pixels, 35 471 bytes.
- Image:BlankMap-World-v2.png – Version of Image:BlankMap-World.png, but with sovereign microstates (i.e., under 2 500 km² in area) represented as circles to facilitate identification and colourising. 1357 x 628 pixels, 28 549 bytes.
- Image:BlankMap-World-v3.png – Version of v2, but using thin lines between islands owned by the same country so countries can be colored in one click – may be more convenient for converting large amounts of country data to a map.
- Image:BlankMap-World-v4.png – Version of v2, but it increases the size of other tiny countries as well, for visibility purposes, and uses white borders even for the microstates.
- Image:BlankMap-World-v4-Borders.png – Version of v4 with borders around each country.
- Image:BlankMap-World-v5.png – Version of v4 with thin lines to join areas owned by the same country for one-click colouring.
- Image:BlankMap-World-v6.png – Version of v4 with dots for dependencies as well as sovereign territories.
- Image:BlankMap-World-v6-Borders.png – Version of v6 with borders around each country.
- Image:BlankMap-World-v7.png – Version of v4 with thin lines to join areas owned by the same country for one-click colouring and with dots for dependencies as well as sovereign territories (merged content from v5 and v6).
- Image:BlankMap-World-v7-Borders.png – Version of v7 with borders around each country.
- 1: Image:BlankMap-World-1ce.png
- 820: Image:BlankMap-World-820.png
- 1500: Image:BlankMap-World-1500.png
- 1710: Image:BlankMap-World-1710.png
- 1840: Image:BlankMap-World-1840.png
- 1861: Image:BlankMap-World-1861.png
- 1866: Image:BlankMap-World-1866.png
- 1872: Image:BlankMap-World-1872.png
- 1898: Image:BlankMap-World-1898.png
- 1912: Image:BlankMap-World-1912.png
- 1914: Image:Map_of_the_World_(1914).PNG
- WWI: Image:BlankMap-World-WWI.PNG – World from around the time of World War I
- 1918.8: Image:1918.8_Blank_World_Map.PNG
- 1921: Image:BlankMap-World-1921.png
- 1924: Image:BlankMap-World-1924.png
- 1935: Image:BlankMap-World_1935.png
- 1937: Image:BlankMap-World 1937.png
- 1938.3: Image:BlankMap-World 1938march.png
- 1938.10: Image:BlankMap-World 1938.png
- 1939.3: Image:BlankMap-World_1939march.png
- 1939.10: Image:BlankMap-World_1939.png
- WWII: Image:BlankMap-World-WWII.PNG – World from around the time of World War II.
- 1942.11: Image:1942.11 blank world map.PNG
- 1945.5: Image:1945.5 Blank World Map.PNG
- 1957: Image:BlankMap-World-1957.png
- 1962–1963: Image:BlankMap-World-1962.png
- 1970: Image:BlankMap-World-1970.png
- 1985: Image:BlankMap-World-1985.png – World before the fall of the Soviet Union, the reunification of Germany (including West Berlin), and Yemen, and dissolution of Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia, and the independence of East Timor and Eritrea. Nominally from 1985.
- 1990: Image:BlankMap-World-1990.png
- 1993: Image:BlankMap-World-1993.png
- 2000: Image:BlankMap-World-2000.png
- 2005: Image:BlankMap-World-2005.png
- 2007: Image:BlankMap-World-2007.png
- 2009: Image:BlankMap-World-2009.PNG
- Image:BlankEurope.png – A large map of Europe. 1236x1245px 44.18 KB.
- Image:BlankMap-Europe.png – Europe as far east as western Russia, western Turkey, and Cyprus. Some of the world's smallest states (e.g., Monaco, Vatican City) appear as single pixels. Includes the former eastern Soviet republics. 450 x 422 pixels, 9 812 bytes.
- Image:BlankMap-Europe-v3.png – Europe without borders, showing some of North Africa and Western Asia.
- Image:BlankMap-Europe-v5.png – White background, black borders, blue sea.
- Image:Italy template.png – Italian regions, 25% rescaling factor suggested.
- Image:France template.png – French regions, 50% rescaling factor suggested.
- Image:Blank Map Germany States.png – German states, 40% rescaling factor suggested.
- Image:Map of USA.png – United States with outlines for individual states.
- Image:Map of USA-bw.png – Black and white outlines for states, for the purposes of easy coloring of states.
- Image:BlankMap-USA-states.PNG – US states, grey and white style similar to Vardion's world maps.
- Image:Map of USA with county outlines.png – Grey and white map of USA with county outlines.
Hi-res 2 color images
- Image:Usa-state-boundaries-lower48+2.png – USA state outlines, Hawaii and Alaska displaced, 2005x1289px, black on transparent.
- Image:usa-state-boundaries-1000.png – USA state outlines, true positions, 1000 px wide, black on white
- Image:usa-state-boundaries-1000-transparent.png – USA state outlines, true positions, 1000 px wide, black on transparent
- Image:usa-state-boundaries-4000.png – USA state outlines, true positions, 4000 px wide, black on white
- Image:usa-state-boundaries-4000-transparent.png – USA state outlines, true positions, 4000 px wide, black on transparent
- Image:Map of Florida.png – County boundaries shown.
- File:BlankMap-Florida-Counties.png – Gray map made for easy coloring of counties.
Caribbean / Central America
- Image:BlankMap-Caribbean.png – The Caribbean, including part of South America, part of Central America, and part of Florida. Shows most significant islands, including all the small independent countries (such as Saint Lucia or Dominica). 419 x 445 pixels, 3 064 bytes.
- Image:BlankMap-Caribbean-in-world.png – Same as above, but with added location in world box. 419 x 445 pixels, 10 514 bytes.
- Image:Mexico template.png – Mexican states, 33% rescaling factor suggested.
- Image:BlankMap Costa Rica.png – Costa Rica provinces, 30% rescaling factor suggested.
- Image:Argentina provinces, blank.png – Argentina provinces, 30% rescaling factor suggested.
- Image:BlankMap Thailand.png – Thailand provinces, 20% rescaling factor suggested.
- Image:China blank map-1.png – People's Republic of China
- Image:China blank map-2.png – People's Republic of China
- Image:Hong Kong District Locator (template map).png – Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
- Image:Macau Parish Locator (template map).png – Macau Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
- commons:Category:Maps of India – India
- Image:BlankMap-PersianGulf.png – Persian Gulf area, showing all of Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates, as well as large parts of other countries like Saudi Arabia, Oman, Iran, and Iraq. 359 x 251 pixels, 3 271 bytes.
- Image:BlankMap-Caucasus.png – Caucasus region national borders.
- Image:BlankMap-Australia.png – No borders
- File:Blank Australia map with inhabited external territories.png – Australia with inhabited external territories, useful for representing demographic data
- Image:Antarctica Map.png – South Pole in the center, also shows the subantarctic islands.
These are azimuthal orthographic projections of the Earth from four sides plus the poles. 726x726 pixels, aliased. XCFs have separate layers for water, land, coastlines, political borders, political borders over water (not shown in PNGs), and latitude & longitude gridlines (not shown in PNGs).
- Image:Blankmap-ao-000 -africa europe.png XCF
- Image:Blankmap-ao-090W-americas.png XCF
- Image:Blankmap-ao-180W-oceania.png XCF
- Image:Blankmap-ao-270W-asia.png XCF
- Image:Blankmap-ao-090N-north pole.png XCF
- Image:Blankmap-ao-090S-south pole.png XCF
Blank maps derived from OMC
- A web interface by Martin Weinelt – It generates maps using GMT (The Generic Mapping Tools), from public domain vector data. The resulting maps should be in the public domain.
- Image:Pontic caspian blank map.png
- Image:Europe 34 62 -12 54 blank map.png
- Image:Northern india blank map.png
- Image:Orient 27 43 22 55 blank map.png
- Image:Greece 34 43 17 30 blank map.png
- Image:Urals blank map.png
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blank maps.|
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Maps
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Chinese provinces/Locator maps – Locator maps for Chinese provinces.
- User:Brion VIBBER/Maps and images for Wikipedia – Continents
- User:Seav#Other Graphics – The Philippines
- List of subnational entities – Shows many of these maps
- commons:Category:Blank maps
- commons:Grey-green orthographic projections maps