Bachelor of Engineering [BE] (Electronics & Communication Engineering) - Latest Notifications
- 04 October, 2022 : IIT Guwahati, Veranda Learning Introduce Advance Certificate Courses for Upskilling
- 03 October, 2022 : JEE Main 2022 Seat Allotment for Round 3 released, Check Here
BE Electronics and Communication Engineering deals with the study of design, manufacture, installation and operation of electronic equipment, system, machineries and telecommunication systems. It is similarly curated as other BTech courses considering the duration of the course is 4 years.
The course shares diverse areas from creative, interaction, embodiment designing to instrumentation, robotics, and automation. It covers basic engineering concepts and techniques like engineering mathematics, drawing, physics ,chemistry.
The minimum eligibility criteria is a pure Science Stream Background with 55% aggregate and valid score in JEE Advanced.
Bachelor in ECE is taught in a number of institutions in India. Some of the colleges for pursuing Electronics and Communication Engineering are :
|NIRF Ranking 2021||College Name||Admission Process||Average Fees||Average Salary|
|1||IIT Madras||JEE||INR 1,00,000||INR 7,00,000|
|2||IIT Delhi||JEE Main||INR 1,16,000||INR 8,00,000|
|6||IIT Roorkee||JEE||INR 1,57,000||INR 7,00,000|
|7||IIT Guwahati||JEE Main||INR 2,00,000||INR 8,00,000|
|15||VIT Vellore||JEE||INR 1,00,000||INR 5,00,000|
Most institutes take admission which is based on the performance in the entrance examination like JEE,BITSAT, DUTEE conducted by those institutes. The average annual salary of a fresh graduate is INR 7-8 Lac and there are various career options here in India as well as abroad.
The common job roles offered to a graduate in B.E. in Electronics and Communication Engineering are Production Manager, Programmer, Electronics Engineer, Electronics Hardware Development Engineer.
B.E. in ECE Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|Eligibility||Class XII optional subjects and on the basis of the set cut off by the colleges.|
|Admission Process||Valid score in JEE /COMEDK/BITSAT|
|Course Fee||6Lac approx|
|Average Salary||7.08 Lac (varies country wise)|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Bosch, Ernst & Young, Infosys, QUALCOMM, Faurecia, The PAC Group, LumiLor India, Signify .|
|Job Positions||Electronics Engineer, Field Test Engineer, Product Line Engineer, Customer Support Engineer, Electronics Technician.|
What is B.E. in ECE all about?
B.E. ECE is focussed about the Developing and Testing out products. Let us check a few important aspects of this course.
- It is an undergraduate course over a period of four years.
- Being one of the most popular branches of engineering involves research, designing, developing, testing and maintenance of equipment.
- ECE engineers supervise the assembling and manufacture of communication and broadcast systems.
- This field of ECE has its basic foundations in three major technical areas i.e. Information, Networks, Systems, Semiconductor Device, Optical System, Microprocessor and Computing Device.
- B.E. in the field of Electronics and Communication Engineering gets the opportunity to work in Core IT, Entertainment Media, Hospitals and Defence Force.
Why study B.E. in ECE?
Electronics and Communication Engineering change lives, it makes life more efficient and this very thought can induce us to pursue this course. This undergraduate course encourages critical thinking and market research which are life enhancing skills.
- B.E. Electronics and Communication Engineering can learn to create, visualize and trial their products.
- From automobile to designing set, candidates gather skills in CAED, MEMS, Digital VLSI Design, Medical Instrumentation, Modelling of Field Effect Nano Devices.
- ECE courses help the students to understand the current technological trends better than other streams as they deal with Information Technology, Coding and Designing.
- By researching and learning about the consumer base ,the designers get the opportunity to design products which are more user-friendly.
- Aesthetics and functionality is the fundamental of this course with upcoming digital skills.
- The annual salary of a BTech Industrial Design graduate can be around 5 to 7LPA.
- The recruiting companies associated with various institutes in their placement are Bosch, Siemens, DRDO, DLF, L&T, QUALCOMM, IBM, TCS, Infosys and Wipro to name a few.
Find out: B.E. in ECE Syllabus
What is the Admission Process of B.E. ECE?
In ECE Undergraduate degree, students are mainly selected on the basis of the 10+2 score or there are special entrance examinations conducted by few institutes such as JEE Mains which are conducted once in a year followed by JEE Advanced.
Merit Based Admission
- The undergraduate degree is admitted on the basis of the Class 12 Boards Examination with pure Science background (Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry).
- Candidates must pass their XII boards from CISCE, CBSE or any other State Boards.
- The minimum aggregate of PCM should be 60%.
Entrance Based Admission
- Most of the institutes take entrance based admission in the ECE course.
- In case of Entrance exams it is required to keep an update on the notification of colleges that offer Electronics and Communication Engineering courses.
Read More: BE ECE Entrance Exams
How to Apply for Admission in BE ECE Colleges?
After the announcement for application, candidates can apply online by visiting the website.
- Essential documents during registration should be uploaded correctly according to the instruction given.
- Test centres are mentioned in the portal to help the candidate in choosing centres according to their convenience.
- After the examination on the given date, results will be announced on the following website.
- Candidates who manage to clear the set cut off marks by the institutions will be called for counselling.
- Producing original documents in the counselling date and completing the admission procedure candidate will secure their position in their choice of college.
Also read about:
What is the Eligibility Criteria for B.E. ECE ?
The eligibility criteria is applicable for both Merit based or Entrance based examination. The minimum eligibility criteria for this course is listed below
- Candidates must have Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry in 10+2 with reasonably high percentages in order to be eligible to sit for the entrance exams.
- B.E. in ECE selection is done on the aggregate marks obtained in the last qualifying exam which is 12th boards.
- Minimum aggregate of 60% is compulsory in the above combination subjects .
What are some of the B.E. in ECE Entrance Exams?
For few colleges the admission is directly on merit basis depending on the marks obtained in 12 boards. Mostly the institutions conduct their own entrance examination since the last few decades .Candidates who qualify the entrance test are called for an interview .Admission is done on the basis of the performance both in the test and personal interview.
|Exam Name||Mode||Application Period||Exam Date (tentative)|
|JEE Advanced||Online||January- February 2021||Last week of April 2021|
|BITSAT||Online||1st week of January 2021||2nd week of May 2021|
|NCHMCT JEE||Online||First week of January, 2021 - Second week of May, 2021||August 2021|
|SRMJEE||Online||3rd week of Oct 2020||3rd week of April 2021|
|VITEEE||Online and Offline||Last week of November 2020||2nd Week of April, 2021|
- BITSAT: This is the engineering entrance exam for the candidates who want to pursue their BTech from BITS PILANI. This seat for this exam is almost 2000.
- JEE Main: This exam is conducted once a year. The examination is divided into two parts one is JEE main conducted this year(2020)conducted in 1-6th September at the preliminary level.
- JEE ADVANCED: Soon after the results of JEE MAINS the candidates who have qualified can sit for this exam (advance) which decides the candidate’s entry into the prestigious IITs and NITs.
- NCHMCT JEE: It consists of 200 MCQs of 200 marks .It is a 3 hour long exam which is divided into five sections which are Language, Numeral Ability, General Reasoning, Logical Deduction and Aptitude. The number of seats available for this exam is 8000+.It is conducted by National Testing Agency
- SRMJEE: It is a similar examination for BE/BTech Degree exclusive to SRM University. This exam consists of five sections Physics, Maths, Chemistry, English, and Aptitude.
How to prepare for the entrance examination for B.E. ECE ?
BE ECE entrance examinations are of 3-hour, so candidates should be prepared beforehand to clear the cut off and get admission in one of the top Engineering Institutes. Here are few important tips for preparation:
- The candidate should be aware of the latest changes in the examination pattern due to Covid-19.For that they can keep an eye on the official websites of the following entrance exams.
- Knowing the detailed syllabus for Joint entrance of preparation. A three -hour examination with MCQs from different sections such as English Language, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Numerical & Data analysis and General Intelligence.
|English Language||Verbal Reasoning, One word substitution, Syllogisms, Idioms, Analogies, Antonyms, Sentence Correction, Contextual usage|
|Physics||Mechanical Properties, Current Electricity, Magnetism, Gravitation, Kinematics, Work and Energy, Force.|
|Chemistry||Thermodynamics, Coordination Compounds, P-Block Elements, Hydrogen and S-Block elements, Chemical Bonding, Alkenes, and Alkynes.|
|Mathematics||Calculus, Differential Equation, Quadratic Equations, Matrices , Probability, Geometry, Number System, Ratio Proportion, Percentage, Geometric Progression.|
|Logical Reasoning||Visual Reasoning, Puzzles , Arrangement, Series, Numeric Grid, Critical Reasoning, Statement Conclusion.|
- There is negative marking (-1) for each wrong answer in most of the entrances, still candidates need to be certain to answer the questions.
- To build the confidence candidates need to practice mock tests from the sample papers or some of the test series mentioned below.
- Reading the newspaper on a regular basis will be helpful for the General Knowledge section which has 30 questions.
- Solving papers in the given time without break can be effective for the exam day.
- Previous year question papers of the entrance should be solved as chances are questions can be common from the last five years.
- Practising regularly and effective studying for four to five hours a day is more than enough for securing good marks in the entrance test.
Also read: BE in ECE Syllabus
How to get admission in a Reputed B.E. ECE College?
Candidates who wish to get admission in the best colleges then they should smartly plan their schedule and get prepared to clear the entrance exam.
- Candidates need to have the minimum eligibility criteria of having 60% in Class XII boards.
- A good preparation for the entrance exam is always a plus point.
- Preparation must be started after announcement of application fill up that doubles up the chance of doing well in the exam.
- For the interview as well as the Current Affairs part candidate should read the newspaper and check the current global affairs.
- Checking the course curriculum, regular and visiting faculty as well exposure ,internship will help the candidate to sort out the best college for them.
Also Find: Top 10 Colleges for BE in ECE
Few books which will help in the preparation for the entrance examination are as follows :
|JEE Main -2020 Test Series||thinkIIT|
|17 Years’ Chapterwise Solutions Physics JEE Main 2020||Arihant Experts|
|Chapter-wise Solutions JEE Main||Sudan,Upadhayay,Tomar|
|JEE Previous Year Question Paper with Solutions||Wiley|
|41 years Chapterwise Topicwise Solved papers IIT JEE MATHEMATICS||Amit M. Agarwal|
|Master Resource Book in Chemistry||Sanjay Sharma|
Top Colleges for B.E. in Electronics and Communication Engineering
B.E. in ECE is taught in some of the premium institutes in India. Given Below are some of the best colleges with location, fee and placement .
|NIRF Rank 2021||College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|1||IIT Madras||Madras||INR 1,00,000||INR 12LPA|
|2||IIT Delhi||Delhi||INR 1,00,000||INR 16LPA|
|3||IIT Bombay||Mumbai||INR 1,15,000||INR 18 LPA|
|4||IIT Kanpur||Kanpur||INR 1,00,000||INR 13LPA|
|6||IIT Roorkee||Roorkee||INR 1,00,000||INR 7.8LPA|
|7||IIT Guwahati||Guwahati||INR 1,00,000||INR 14LPA|
|16||NIT Rourkela||Rourkela||INR 1,00,000||INR 12LPA|
|36||Delhi Technological University||New Delhi||INR 1,00,000||INR 7LPA|
|87||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 1,00,000||INR 6LPA|
|-||MS Ramaiah School of Advanced Studies||Bengaluru||INR 2,00,000||INR 7LPA|
College Comparison for B.E. in ECE.
The top 3 colleges for B.E. in Electronics and Communication Engineering have slight differences which are categorised according to some parameters as mentioned below
|PARAMETERS||IIT Roorkee||IIT Madras||IIT Delhi|
|Overview||IIT Roorkee is one of the leading colleges promising to generate creative entrepreneurs and leading engineers established in 1847.||IIT Madras is one of best engineering colleges in India with the best of faculties though the admission cut off is quite stringent. It was established in 1959.||IIT Delhi is one of the leading institute for quality designed education, high impact dedicated Research. This institute was established in 1961.|
|Eligibility||Class XII with Physics, Maths and Chemistry.||Class XII with pure science stream||Pure Science stream in Class XII|
|Admission process||Entrance based||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average Fee||1.57 Lac||1Lac||1.09Lac|
|Top Recruiting Companies||ITC ,Mahindra, Deloitte, Siemens, TCS, Wipro.||Google, Microsoft, Mahindra & Mahindra ,American Express||Microsoft, Uber, HCL, Mastercard.|
Also read: B.E. in ECE Salary
What is the Syllabus of B.E. in ECE?
The course syllabus is nicely designed within 8 Semesters with almost 4 to 5 papers as mentioned
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Calculus & Linear Algebra||Basic Electronics|
|Engineering Physics||Advanced Calculus and Numerical Methods|
|Engineering Chemistry||Basic Electrical Engineering|
|Basic Programming||Engineering Graphics|
|Introduction to Probability & Statistics||Analog Circuits|
|Power Electronics and Instrumentation||Verilog HDL|
|Digital System Design Laboratory||Signals and Systems|
|Network Theory||Analog ,HDL and Communication Lab|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Electromagnetic Waves||Digital Communication|
|Digital Signal Processing||Embedded System|
|Information Theory and Coding||Microprocessor|
|Management and Entrepreneurship Development||Antennas and Propagation|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Computer Communication Networks||Digital Switching Systems|
|Optical Fiber Communication||Wireless Communication|
|VLSI Lab||Project + Seminar|
What are the Important Books of B.E. in ECE?
Some of the academic books with the name of the author are mentioned which are followed by these top institutes are
|A Textbook on Analog Circuits||A.Rajkumar|
|Microelectronic Circuits :Theory and Application||Adel.S Sedra|
|An Integrated Course in Electronics and Communication Engineering||J.B. Gupta|
|Electronic Devices and Circuits||Boylestad ,Nashelsky|
|Modern Digital and Analog Communication System||B.P. Lathi and Zhi Ding|
|Decode Laplace Transforms ,Numerical Methods and Complex Variables||Dr. H.R. Bhapkar|
B.E. in Electronics and Communication Engineering Vs BTech in Civil Engineering Course Comparison
The two popular Bachelor Engineering courses for the students who take interest in software designing, algorithms, coding, IT and Designing Structures in B.E. in Electronics and Communication Engineering. B.Tech in Civil Engineering that involves the study of structure and design of infrastructure like buildings, bridges, roads and dams.
|Parameter||B.E. in ECE||BTech in Civil Engineering|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Engineering Electronics and Communication Engineering||Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering|
|Overview||B.E. in ECE is a 4 year programme designed to know about the design, manufacture, installation, operation, and maintenance of electronic equipment and systems.||B.Tech in Civil Engineering is a 4 year long programme with no such specialisation offered although it is also a technical course which mainly focuses on construction of buildings, stable transportation systems and large structures.|
|Admission procedure||The admission is mainly done by score in the entrance examination which is conducted nationally like all other BE/BTech courses or private entrance examination is conducted for some group of institutions like IITs like JEE,BITSAT, GATE.||The admission is carried out by following the entrance examination or rounds of counselling or test privately conducted by the respective institution such as JEE (Main+Advance), BITSAT, SRMJEE, COMEDK.|
|Course Fee||INR 1,20,000 – 5,00,000||INR 2,00,000- 4,50,000|
|Eligibility||Any student with Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry as their core subjects in Class XII with minimum 60%.||Students with compulsory mathematics as well as Chemistry and Physics in XII are eligible for the admission procedure or Diploma in Mechanical or Allied Science after class X.|
|Syllabus||MEMS, Cryptography, Electromagnetic theory, Digital Design, Control System, Signal and Systems, Information Theory and Coding, Data Communication Network.||Functions of Variables, Series and Matrices, CE Materials and Construction, Mechanics of Materials, Transportation and Hydraulic Engineering.|
|Top Institutes||NIT Rourkela , Delhi Technological University, IIT Roorkee , IIT Madras||IIT Madras, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Bombay, IIT Roorkee, NIT Trichy|
|Job Profile||Production Manager, Programme Analyst, Electronics Hardware Development Engineer, Product Line Engineer.||Civil Engineer, Transportation Engineer, Structural Engineer, Civil Engineering Technicians.|
|Top Recruiters||Google, Microsoft, Canoo, IDEO,NVIDIA.||Hindustan Construction Company, L&T, DLF, Unitech, Tata Projects , Gammon India.|
|Average annual salary||INR 4,00,00 to 7,00,000||INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000|
B.E. in ECE Job Prospects and Career Options:
This course is so versatile and dynamic candidates can expect job offers for a variety of roles related to Electronics and Communication.
- Students who have completed a Bachelor in Electronics and Communication Engineering can join any Software or Telecom Industry.
- Skilled Engineers are valued and even the pay package is really well.
- Even the Government Organization like Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, DRDO Laboratories, ISRO are a secured place to start their career after graduating.
- Business Development Manager and Research & Development Engineer are the two offset jobs that are also offered to fresh ECE graduates .
- An ECE can work in aviation, consumer electronics, transportation, communication, computer application, diagnostic equipment .
- New avenues are opening everyday for ECE engineers with the advent of new technologies which includes automation in industries, autonomous drone logistics, self driving cars, smart energy systems etc.
|Job Roles||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Electronics Engineer||To work on the system which controls the flow of data such as communication and broadcasting.||INR 5.45Lac|
|Field Engineer||Developing standard procedure for field tasks, evaluate operational performance and recommend solutions.||INR 5 Lac|
|Production Manager||Responsible for designing, scheduling and assessing projects with budget, resource and time as constraint.||INR 6.80Lac|
|Network Planning Engineer||Work for the maintenance of the external and internal network of an organization, support critical teams, implement new standards for fiber design engineering .||INR 5.20Lac|
|Software Engineer||Develop systems and software for Business from applications to network control systems and operating systems.||INR 4.96 Lac|
|Electronics Technician||Is in charge of help in development, design, installation, manufacture of electronic equipment.||INR 2 Lac|
What is the Future Scope of B.E. In ECE?
An electronics and Communication graduate is open to work in a variety of fields which are Multinational Companies, Healthcare Equipment Manufacturing, Mobile Network Connection, Aviation, Corporate Business, Entrepreneurship, Government Sector and other industries like Steel, Coal, Petroleum and Chemical.
- The starting salary ranges from 3,50,000 to 10,00,000 as a Senior Level Manager after gaining experience of more than five years.
- The job market for Electronics and Communication Engineering is on demand. They are always in the search for qualified skilled engineers who can assist them in developing the latest technologies.
- Candidates with skills in Robotics, Automation, Renewable Energy, Internet of Things, Mechatronics Engineering Concepts will be valued more in the future.
- A lot of the industries are located in Germany, Canada, China and the Gulf Countries so students of ECE have a lot of opportunities overseas because of the presence of various manufacturing firms.
- In India, BE ECE graduates can also prepare for government competitive exams or can pursue MBA courses to enhance their management skills along with technical knowledge.
These are some of the top institutes abroad to complete the higher education –
|Institute||Location||Admission Process||Annual Fee|
|Harvard University||Cambridge||TOEFL / IELTS||17 LAC|
|Columbia University||New York City||TOEFL/IELTS||18 Lac|
|Yale University||New Haven||IELTS||16 Lac|
|University of Sydney||New South Wales||TOEFL||8 Lac|
|University of Queensland||Brisbane||TOEFL||8Lac|
|Technical University Munich||Munich||TOEFL||7Lac|
|University of British Columbia||Vancouver||IELTS||10Lac|
BE in ECE FAQs
Ques. What are the top employment areas for B.E. Electronics and Communication Engineers ?
Ques. What makes the course Electronics and Communication Engineering so popular ?
Ques.Is B.E. in ECE a demanding course ?
Ques. What is the duration of the course ?
Ques. Name some entrance tests for B.E/BTech in Electronics and Communication Engineering?
Ques. What are the common job profiles of ECE graduates ?
Ques. Who are the popular recruiters in this field ?
Ques. What is the starting salary of an industrial designer in an entry level job ?
Ques. What is the expected skill from a graduate Electronics and Communication Engineer?
Ques. Does B.E. and B.Tech have the same value ?
Ques. What are the academic options after B.E. in Electronics and Communication Engineering ?