Korean Dramas to Binge-Watch: A Beginners Guide
Are you someone who just recently started watching Korean dramas? Are you Love Korean Dramas all the suggestions from your friends who had been watching them for a while now? Their requests won’t end but will continue to confuse you along with the wide variety available on the internet. So, here is a guide for you from my past self from 2018 when I was a beginner too; a list of dramas that will help you get a better grasp of the Korean dramas’ culture and Korean society. Also, Love Korean Dramas, in general, to get you started. Of course, you can watch whichever dramas you want, but this just might help you. And, welcome to a fandom that has no way out; I can assure you that people also watch Korean dramas and Love Korean Dramas.
1. Uncontrollably Fond
First and foremost, the drama I would suggest is actually one of the first Korean dramas I watched. Man, was I amazed? It isn’t only great to get you familiar with the Korean drama industry and South Korea but also if you are a hopeless romantic, or like the romance genre in general, this is the one for you. It follows the life of a celebrity and a reporter who had a past together in high school. They meet again as adults, and their actual story begins here. But it is not an ordinary story of a couple with a past; there is a big hinge in between that will tug at your heartstrings and make you weep all night. It has a very light yet touching story. It is the best option to be one of your first Korean dramas.
More dramas like ‘Uncontrollably Fond,’ which follows the lives of seemingly ordinary Korean people:
- ‘Be Melodramatic’ – follow the lives of three ordinary girls who are best friends. It is a hilarious yet severe series, relatively close to reality. It shows their struggles in their relationships and society as ordinary people, some tragedies they faced, how they affected their lives, and how they helped each other through it all.
- ‘Pinocchio’ – follows the life of a girl who gets hiccups whenever she lies. And the hurdles it causes her in reaching her dream of becoming a reporter. Another good option is to get you familiar with Korean society and people really quick.
I am sure you have either heard this name from a friend or saw it somewhere on the internet recently because it was all over the internet after its release a couple months ago. And the hype hasn’t completely died down yet, and I am also still not over it. If you are a person for action, thriller, and a lot of mystery-solving with a pinch of romance, there is no better option for you than Vincenzo. This drama will give you deep and dark insights into the lives of the elite Korean classes, which is close to the reality of some elite Koreans, corrupt and ruthless when it comes to their own interests. It is a hilarious drama in addition to the dark, heinous crimes it explores. You will not be able to stop watching it once you start.
Vincenzo is the story of a Korean-Italian man who was adopted by an Italian Mafia leader at a young age. He lands in Korea, intending to stay for a little while, for some business, but it had other plans for him. Vincenzo gets in the way of a very violent elite-class businessman who holds no mercy for anyone, not even his own father. While the corruption is skyrocketing, despite his own violent past in the mafia, Vincenzo becomes the server of the justice for the new family he found in Korea and rediscovers himself.
Some other dramas like ‘Vincenzo’ that cannot go without mentioning:
- ‘The K2’
All divulge in the dark and heinous secrets and crimes of the elite business class that serves ordinary men for their own benefit. Insanely thrilling, these dramas will take you into another dimension of action.
3. Two Worlds Apart
Are you a person for fantasy and the otherworldly? Well, the Korean drama industry has got you. You will find a vast range of fantasy and Harry Potter and Game of thrones types of Korean dramas, some even as highly produced as them. The Korean drama industry will not fail to surprise you with the fantasies they come up with in every other drama.
One of my personal favorites, ‘Two World Apart,’ is a story of a comic book’s lead character who comes to life and resists the account created by the author for him. But that is not all; due to some accident, the author’s daughter keeps getting sucked into the comic book and falls in love with the male-lead. It is interesting to see in which direction their love story goes as they are two worlds apart and more and more difficulties befall them along the way. The drama is much exciting and hooking than how facile it may sound here.
A few more fantasy – Korean dramas that you would surely love:
- ‘Extraordinary You’ – another drama that revolves around the story of comic book characters coming to life and fighting their fate as puppets being controlled by the author of the comic.
- ‘The King: Eternal Monarch’ – story of two parallel universes overlapping and causing destruction for both universes.
- ‘The Korean Odyssey’ – story of an immortal spirit promising a girl (who could see and talk to ghosts) to protect her for his own personal gains but later falls in his own dug pit.
4. Who Are You: School 2015
If you are a person who loves high school drama in movies and series then, we are here for you. ‘Who Are You’ is a high school drama with mystery and romance. It is a story of identical twin sisters who separated at the orphanage when they got adopted. The one left behind at the orphanage always remembered her sister, but she soon forgot her sister when she adapted to the new family. They meet as high schoolers; memories and emotions are evoked. Many high school drama happens in-between that you will love, and they face severe problems and accidents. It is not a Riverdale, but more like a Never Have I Ever: fun yet serious, light yet intense; maybe a little less funny than that.
More high school dramas with what you call the real drama:
- ‘Tempted’ – Another high school drama but more mature. Instead, its main focus is on the elite class and the high schoolers in a privileged private school. It is also light and intense at the same time.
- ‘My ID is Gangnam Beauty’ – this drama depicts the lives of fresh college students. Its primary focus is on the beauty standards that have gained immense importance in Korea. Plastic surgeries, especially in students, are becoming more and more normalized in Korea. And watching Korean dramas excellently, watching Korean dramas sheds light on the issue of some students facing severe backlash and affected mental health due to not being able to meet these beauty standards.