uTorrent is the Best Free Torrent Software
uTorrent makes downloading movies, TV shows, software, and other large torrent files easy.
It’s a free, lightweight, easy-to-use BitTorrent client that won’t drain your computer of its resources. You don’t need any prior knowledge about torrenting or technology to use the program. Just download uTorrent and it will automatically download and configure all .torrent files.
How to Use uTorrent
One of the nice things about uTorrent is that there is no set-up required to get started. Once the program is installed, you can go to any working torrent site and start downloading.
If you want to change some of the settings, go to Options > Preferences and there you can add a proxy/VPN connection, change the location of where the completed files go, set a maximum number of active downloads, set a download schedule and more.
Most torrent sites will have two download options; Magnet or Download.
Magnet links are the easier of the two to use. The first time you click on one, you’ll have to authorize your browser to open uTorrent but after that, it will start the download automatically.
The Download link will download a file to your computer. You’ll have to double click on the file and then it will open in uTorrent.
In the end, whether you choose the magnet or download link before the torrent begins downloading a pop-up window will appear. This gives you some crucial information, such as the files included in the torrent and the file size. Click OK and the file will start the download. Check the “Don’t show this again” box if you don’t need to see this pop-up.
How to Download uTorrent for Free
- Click the Download button below to visit the uTorrent site.
- Scroll to the uTorrent Classic section and click DOWNLOAD UTORRENT CLASSIC.
- After the file downloads, it should automatically open the installation process. If it doesn’t, double click on the file and click RUN.
- When the installer opens, you will be welcomed to uTorrent. Click NEXT.
- uTorrent warns you to watch out for scams when downloading unlicensed products. Just click NEXT here.
- AGREE with the License Agreement.
- BEWARE: Don’t just keep clicking NEXT or you will download additional programs. (You may not get the same offers like the ones below, they are just an example of the bloatware included in the installer)
- Choose your installation options. Personally, I leave these boxes checked.
- Configure uTorrent. When I download uTorrent on a new computer, I usually uncheck the “Start uTorrent when Windows starts up” option. For everything else, I leave the default settings as they are.
- Finish the installation.
- Start downloading torrents. If you’re unsure of what torrent sites to use, check out this list of the best torrent sites that still work.
When you download Peer-2-Peer (P2P) files, such as torrents, the actual file is comprised of hundreds of thousands of little parts, coming from seeders around the world. Therefore, it can’t be downloaded like a regular file.
That’s where uTorrent fits in. It collects all of the pieces of the files and combines them into a single, high-quality file. It does all this while running in the background of your computer, using up very little resources so your computer will still run smoothly and without any noticeable lag.
While uTorrent is 100% legal, it is often filled with hackers or scams. Therefore, for safety reasons, it’s always recommended to use a VPN while downloading torrents. Check out this list for the best VPNs for torrenting.
- Supports RSS feeds: This allows you to automatically download new shows.
- Download Scheduler: You can schedule downloads for times when you’re at work, sleeping, or away from the computer. Then all you have to do is come home and start watching.
- Detailed stats include:
- Size of the torrent file
- Upload speed
- Download Speed
- Estimated time the file will be ready
What is uTorrent Web
In addition to the classic uTorrent client, there is uTorrent Web, a web-based platform that can be downloaded. The biggest advantage of the uTorrent Web is the functionality to instantly stream videos while the files are downloading. It also has a search feature that makes it easier to find the torrent files you want.
How to Uninstall uTorrent
It’s a quick-and-easy process to uninstall uTorrent from your Windows computer.
- Type in “Add or Remove Programs” in the search bar on the bottom of your screen.
- Open the System Setting option.
- Find uTorrent and click UNINSTALL.
- A pop-up window will open asking if you want to remove the program, click YES.
- If you don’t plan on downloading uTorrent again in the future, make sure the box that says “Remove my Settings” is checked. Otherwise, your settings will be saved if you download the program again.
- Click UNINSTALL.
- When the uninstallation is complete you will need to restart your computer.
Alternatives to uTorrent
qBittorrent: On the surface, qBittorrent looks identical to uTorrent. However, the 3 main advantages that it’s lightweight, open-source, and ad-free. The biggest downside is that if you are downloading multiple files it tends to lag and slow down your computer.
Deluge: Another BitTorrent client that has a similar interface to uTorrent, Deluge is a safe client to download that won’t infect your computer with adware, malware, or viruses. While it doesn’t come with the same features as uTorrent or qBittorrent, it does have plugins that will give you the same functionality.
😇 Is uTorrent Legal?
Yes. While the software can be used for pirating movies, TV, and software — there is nothing illegal about uTorrent itself.
😎 Is uTorrent Safe?
As long as you download the official uTorrent or uTorrent web client, the software itself won’t harm your computer. However, you have to be wary of which torrent files you download through uTorrent since it doesn’t include a virus scan. Additionally, it’s recommended that you use a VPN when downloading torrents for privacy and anonymity reasons.
🤑 Is uTorrent Free?
The basic uTorrent client is free but there are several premium options that are ad-free, increased security, and even one that comes with a VPN.
🤓 How to find files that I downloaded with uTorrent?
The default location for all files is in the Download folder on your C: drive. You can direct the files to a specific folder by going to Options > Preferences > Directories. From there, you can choose a folder destination for completed files.