Where's your nearest nuke? The map that shows where America's 5,000 nuclear warheads are
There are currently 5,113 atomic warheads scattered across America and on U.S. submarines around ther world.
In 2009, President Obama spoke of his hopes to rid the world of nuclear weapons - but clearly progress has been painfully slow since then.
The Cold War may have ended a generation ago, but a fascinating new map put together by Mother Jones magazine, shows exactly where highly radioactive nuclear material is situated on mainland America.
Atomicland: The new map showing the location of nuclear facilities on the mainland U.S.
The map was produced from data suppled by the Defense Department and nuclear watchdog groups.
It shows where the warheads are (in red on the map), where the civilian nuclear power plants can be found (in green) and the location of labs and nuclear weapons plants (in blue).
The green arrows show nuclear
According to The Lookout blog, watchdog groups believe the archaic system for making and storing weapons in the U.S. is both dangerous and expensive.
Mother Jones notes that the country is telling the rest of the world that it is on the road to disarmament.
Atthe same time the U.S. is spending more on the nuclear weapons complex than we did during the Cold War.
The magazine reports that the 5,113 figure does not include 'zombie' nukes that are kept in reserve and more than 3,000 warheads awaiting dismantlement.
The map was produced completely with unclassified, public information. As Mother Jones reports, even the military doesn't hide where it keeps its missiles and bombers.
The sources for the map were the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists and Federation of American Scientists, Office of the Deputy Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Nuclear Matters, Nuclear Energy Institute
Most watched News videos
- Powerful 6.3 magnitude earthquake strikes Greek island of Crete
- Drones drop food for emaciated dogs trapped by lava in La Palma
- Woman flees her house in middle of night after finding PYTHON
- 'You'd have failed your test!' Moment Keir Starmer crashes HGV
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive at Kew Gardens
- Maj Gen Matthew Holmes: Funeral takes place at Winchester Cathedral
- Painful moment bride smacks rounders ball into her husband's groin
- Hungary fans fight with police at Wembley after fan is arrested
- Topless XR activist on HUNGER STRIKE until Boris 'addresses demands'
- Shocking moment defenceless man kicked in the head after street brawl
- Whitty: Winter will be 'exceptionally difficult' for the NHS
- Labour MP Claudia Webbe arrives at court ahead of trial verdict