Rector of Heidelberg UniversityCurriculum Vitae
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. habil. Dr. h.c. Bernhard Eitel
Dr. h.c. Comenius University Bratislava
Rector of Heidelberg University
Born in 1959 in Karlsruhe.
|1994||Habilitation, Department of Geography, University of Stuttgart|
Habilitation Title: "Kalkreiche Decksedimente und Kalkkrustengenerationen in Namibia: Zur Frage der Herkunft und Mobilisierung des Calciumcarbonats." ("Calcium-Rich Cover Beds and Calcrete Generations in Namibia: On the Origin and Mobilization of the Calcium Carbonate")
|1989||Doctorate, Department of Geography, University of Stuttgart (with Honours)|
Dissertation Title: "Morphogenese im südlichen Kraichgau unter besonderer Berücksichtigung tertiärer und pleistozäner Decksedimente. Ein Beitrag zur Landschaftsgeschichte Südwestdeutschlands." ("Morphogenesis in the Southern Kraichgau with Respect to the Tertiary and Pleistocene Cover Beds: A Contribution to Landscape History in Southwest Germany")
|1980–1986||Staatsexamen, Geography and German, University of Karlsruhe (TH)|
|Since 2001||Full Professorship (C4) of Physical Geography, Director of the Institute of Geography, Universität Heidelberg, Director of the Institute of Geography of Heidelberg University|
|2001||Offered full professorship of Physical Geography, University of Bayreuth (declined)|
|2000||Offered full professorship (C4) of Physical Geography, University of Göttingen (declined)|
|1995||Professor (C3) for Physical Geography, University of Passau|
|1989–1995||Akademischer Rat (Associate Professor), Department of Geography, University of Stuttgart|
|1989||Scientist at the Department of Geography, University of Stuttgart|
|1986–1989||Scientist at the Department of Geography and Geoecology, University of Karlsruhe (TH)|
Functions in academic self-administration
|Since 2007||Rector of Heidelberg University|
|2006–2007||Vice Dean for Earth Sciences, Faculty of Chemistry and Earth Sciences|
|2005–2006||Spokesman of the University Senate|
|2004–2006||Dean of the Combined Faculties of Natural and Mathematical Sciences and Dean of the Faculty of Chemistry and Earth Sciences|
|2002–2004||Vice Dean for Earth Sciences, Faculty of Chemistry and Earth Sciences|
|Since 2001||Director, Institute of Geography|
|2018–2020||Chairman of the Baden-Württemberg state Rectors' Conference|
|Since 2017||Vice Chairman Council Science Media Center Germany (SMC)|
|2016–2018||Vice Chairman of the Baden-Württemberg state Rectors' Conference|
|2012–2014||Spokesman of the German U15, a strategic interest group for outstanding research universities with top medical faculties|
|2006–2007||Member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the Research Group (AK) on Geomorphology (Deutscher AK für Geomorphologie in der DGfG e.V.)|
|2005||Commission Member of the State of Niedersachsen Commission for the Evaluation of Research in the Departments of Geography in the State’s Universities|
|2004–2009||Member of the UNESCO-IGCP 500 Management Group "Westerlies and Monsoons: Impacts of Climate Change and Variability on Dryland Environments, Hydrology and People"|
|2004–2007||Committee Member of the Heidelberg Geographic Society (Heidelberger Geographischen Gesellschaft [HGG])|
|2002||Steering Committee Member of the GeoUnion (Alfred-Wegener-Stiftung)|
|2002–2007||Member of the Executive Commission of the International Association of Geomorphologists (IAG)-Working Group on "Interaction between Fluvial, Aeolian and Lacustrine Processes in Arid Regions"|
|2002–2006||Chairman of the Research Group on Geomorphology in the German Society for Geography|
|2002–2004||Chairman of the Heidelberg Geographic Society|
|1994–2002||Member of the Supervisory Board for the Research Group on Geomorphology in the German Society for Geography|
Awards & Distinctions
|2019||Awarded with the "Pro Universitate" medal of the Semmelweis University Budapest for the promotion of scientific exchange and partnership between the universities of Budapest and Heidelberg|
|2016||Honored by the Geological Society of America with the "Farouk El-Baz Award for Desert Research" for pioneering achievements in researching the environmental history of deserts|
|2015||Awarded honorary doctorate by the Comenius University in Bratislava|
|2011||"Ordre des Palmes Académiques" (highest grade) by the French Republic for significant contributions to the French higher education system|
|2010||Member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina, National Academy of Sciences|
|2009||Elected as corresponding member of the German Archaeological Institute (DAI)|
|2008||Member of the German Academy of Science and Engineering (acatech)|
Areas of Research
Geomorphology, Soil Geography, Geoecology, Geoarchaeology, Arid Environments and Dryland Research, in particular in Europe, the Arctic, Southern Africa, South America, China (Xinjiang).
- Eitel, B. (2000): Different amounts of pedogenic palygorskite in South West African Cenozoic calcretes: Geomorphological, palaeoclimatical and methodological implications. – Z. Geomorph. N. F. Suppl.-Bd. 121, S. 139–149.
- Eitel, B., Eberle, J. & Kuhn, R. (2002): Holocene environmental change in the Otjiwarongo thornbush savanna (Northern Namibia): Evidence from soils and sediments. – Catena 47: 43–62.
- Eitel, B., van der Borg, K., Eberle, J. & Megies, H. (2002): Late Pleistocene / Early Holocene glacial history of northern Andréeland (Northern Spitsbergen / Svalbard Archipelago): evidence from glacial and fluvio-glacial deposits. – Z. Geomorph. N. F. 46: 337–364.
- Eitel, B., Hecht, S., Mächtle, B., Schuhkraft, G.,Kadereit, A., Wagner, G. A., Kromer, B., Unkel, I. & Reindel, M. (2005): Geoarchaeological evidence from desert loess in the Nazca-Palpa region, southern Peru: Palaeoenvironmental changes and their impact on Pre-Columbian cultures. – Archaeometry 47: 137–185.
- Eitel, B., Kadereit, A., Blümel, W. D., Hüser, K. Lomax, J. & Hilgers, A. (2006): Fluvial deposits in the Upper Hoanib river catchment, northwestern Namibia: New evidence of environmental changes before and after the Last Glacial Maximum at the eastern Namib Desert Margin. – Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 234: 201–222.
- Eitel, B. & Mächtle, B. (2009): Man and environment in the eastern Atacama Desert (Southern Peru): Holocene climate changes and their impact on Pre-Columbian cultures. In: Reindel, M. & Wagner, G.A. (ed.): New Technologies for Archaeology, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp. 17–37.