Courtney H. Lyder
|Education||BA, BS, MS, ND|
|Alma mater||Rush University|
|Organization||American Academy of Nursing, New York Academy of Medicine|
|Known for||Expertise in gerontology and pressure ulcers|
|Title||Dean of UCLA School of Nursing|
|Term||2008 – 2015|
|Awards||National League for Nursing, President’s Award; Honorary doctorate from Saint Xavier University|
Early life and education
Lyder received his Bachelor of Arts from Beloit College. He attended Rush University nursing school, one of only five males in a class of two hundred, where he received his Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine. Lyder studied under Luther Christman, the first male dean of a nursing school in the United States, who changed the perceptions and biases people held against males and minorities seeking to enter the field of nursing.
Men are seeing that [nursing] is a viable option that pays well, you have a good lifestyle, you give back to society... Nursing doesn't have a gender. Society and media have portrayed nursing as feminine. It's not.— Courtney Lyder
In August 2008, Lyder was appointed as dean of UCLA School of Nursing, the first male minority head of any such institution in the United States. Lyder's tenure at the school ended on July 1, 2015.
Staffing is critical... When you see high levels of wounds, you usually see a high level of dysfunctional staff.— Courtney Lyder
Lyder is internationally recognized for his expertise in gerontology and chronic care issues affecting older adults. He has addressed pressure ulcer prevention, identifying erythema in dark skin, wound healing and quality improvement in skilled nursing facilities, calling attention to the dangers of unnecessary bedsores received by elder patients in hospitals with inattentive staff. According to Lyder and his research team, individuals with chronic conditions such as congestive cardiac failure, pulmonary or cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, and those on steroids who acquire pressure ulcers in hospital were at the highest risk of premature death.
Lyder is a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and the New York Academy of Medicine. In 2011, he was appointed by United States Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius to the National Advisory Council for Nursing Research.
Seating upgrades criticism
Lyder has been cited as one of six deans who leveraged UCLA's lenient medical exemptions in order to upgrade to business class when flying on official college business. Enacted in order to facilitate travel to meetings with wealthy UCLA donors, the travel policy normally required employees to fly coach, except in the following circumstances: when there is a medical need, when coach is unavailable, when using coach would be more expensive or time consuming, or when the trip involves overnight travel without time to rest before work begins. UCLA paid at least $75,000 for premium flights for Lyder during his tenure. He used a doctor’s note—redacted by UCLA—to justify almost half of these trips. Other times he skirted the restriction because he said he needed extra rest on the plane before a busy schedule of meetings.
Awards and honors
- National League for Nursing, President's Award (2012)
- Honorary doctorate from Saint Xavier University for contributions to nursing
|Black Dean||Cocktail||Martini with jalapeño||Hotel Angeleno, Sunset Boulevard|
|Doctor's Daiquiri||Cocktail||N/a||Hotel Palomar's Blvd 16, Wilshire Boulevard|
|Layla's Treat||Cocktail||Named for Lyder's French Bulldog||Hotel Palomar's Blvd 16, Wilshire Boulevard|
|Dean Lyder||Cocktail||Perfect Manhattan with orange bitters and zest||Napa Valley Grille, Glendon Avenue|
|The Courtney||Pizza||Spicy chicken, cheeses, basil and avocado||Glendon Bar & Kitchen, Glendon Avenue|
- ND, GNP Courtney H. Lyder, Chang Yu, JaeEmerling, MSN, GNP Rupinder Mangat, Mdiv, MSN, GNP David Stevenson, MSN(c), RN Ophelia Empleo-Frazier, BS Jim McKay (May 1999). The Braden Scale for Pressure Ulcer Risk: Evaluating the Predictive Validity in Black and Latino/Hispanic Elders. Applied Nursing Research, Volume 12, Issue 2, Pages 60–68.
- Lyder, C., Preston, J., Grady, J., Scinto, J., Allman, R., Bergstrom, N. & Rodeheaver, G. (2001). Compliance with Pressure Ulcer Prevention Quality Indicators in Hospitals. Archives of Internal Medicine 161, 1549-1554.
- Courtney H. Lyder (2002). Pressure Ulcer Prevention and Management. Annual Review of Nursing Research
- Lyder, C., Shannon, R., Empleo-Frazier, O., McGee, D. & White, C. (2002). A Comprehensive Program to Prevent Pressure Ulcers: Exploring Cost and Outcomes. Ostomy/Wound Management 48, 52-62.
- Lyder, C. (2003). Exploring pressure ulcer prevention and management. Journal of the American Medical Association 289, 223-226.
- Lyder, C., Grady, J., Mathur, D., Patrello, M. & Meehan, T. (2004). Preventing pressure ulcers in Connecticut hospitals using the plan-do-study-act model for quality improvement. Joint Commission. Journal of Quality and Safety 30, 205-214.
- Lyder, C. (2007). The Use of Technology for Improved Pressure Ulcer Prevention. Ostomy/Wound Management 53,(4), 14-16.
- Lyder, C. (2006). Effective management of pressure ulcers: A review of proven strategies. Advance for Nurse Practitioners 14(7), 32-38.
- Courtney H. Lyder ND FAAN, Cheryl Chia‐Hui Chen RN MSN GNP, Lynne S. Schilling RN MN PhD (July 7, 2008). A Concept Analysis of Malnutrition in the Elderly, JAN Wiley Online Library
- Lyder, Courtney H. ND, GNP, FAAN; Krasner, Diane L. PhD, RN, CWCN, CWS, BCLNC, MAPWCA, FAAN; Ayello, Elizabeth A. PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, ETN, CWCN, MAPWCA, FAAN (January 2010). Clarification from the American Nurses Association on the Nurse's Role in Pressure Ulcer Staging. Volume 23 - Issue 1 - p 8. Advances in Skin and Wound Care Journal
- Lyder, Courtney H.; Ayello, Elizabeth A. (2008). Pressure Ulcers: A Patient Safety Issue. In: Hughes RG, ed. Patient Safety and Quality: An Evidence-Based Handbook for Nurses. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; American Nurse Today, July 2011 Vol. 6 No. 7. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Lyder, C. &. Ayello, E. (2009). An annual checkup- One year after the implementation of the CMS POA pressure ulcer on admission indicator. Advances in Skin and Wound Care 22, 476-484.
- Courtney H. Lyder ND, Yun Wang PhD, Mark Metersky MD, Maureen Curry MHA, Rebecca Kliman MPH, Nancy R. Verzier MSN, David R. Hunt MD (17 September 2012). Hospital‐Acquired Pressure Ulcers: Results from the National Medicare Patient Safety Monitoring System Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
- Estelle Massey Osborne – pioneering African–American nurse and educator
- Wright, Bekah (April 1, 2013) "The Lyder Side of Westwood", UCLA Magazine
- Bloomekatz, Ari (October 9, 2013) "A Nurse Who's Healing Patients and Himself", Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "Courtney Lyder" Archived 2018-12-19 at the Wayback Machine, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health
- Staff. (December 29, 2014) "Courtney Lyder to Step Down as Dean of UCLA School of Nursing", UCLA Newsroom. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Creswell, Julie and Abelson, Reed (August 14, 2012) "A Giant Hospital Chain is Blazing a Profit Trail", The New York Times. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Staff. (October 2, 2012) "Hospital Bedsores Linked to Patient Mortality", Science Daily. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- Perez, Erica and Armendariz, Agustin (August 2, 2013) "UCLA Officials Bend Travel Rules with First-class Flights, Luxury Hotels", Reveal News. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- Lyder, Courtney H.; Yu, Chang; Emerling, Jae; Mangat, Rupinder; Stevenson, David; Empleo-Frazier, Ophelia; McKay, Jim (1 May 1999). "The braden scale for pressure ulcer risk: Evaluating the predictive validity in black and latino/hispanic elders". Applied Nursing Research. 12 (2): 60–68. doi:10.1016/S0897-1897(99)80332-2. PMID 10319520.
- Lyder, Courtney H. (17 June 2019). "Pressure ulcer prevention and management". Annual Review of Nursing Research. 20: 35–61. doi:10.1891/0739-66126.96.36.199. S2CID 15008059.
- Chen, Cheryl Chia-Hui; Schilling, Lynne S.; Lyder, Courtney H. (2001). "A concept analysis of malnutrition in the elderly". Journal of Advanced Nursing. 36: 131–142. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.01950.x. PMID 11555057.
- Lyder, Courtney H.; Krasner, Diane L.; Ayello, Elizabeth A. (1 January 2010). "Clarification from the American Nurses Association on the Nurse's Role in Pressure Ulcer Staging©". Advances in Skin & Wound Care. 23 (1): 8, discussion 8–10. doi:10.1097/01.ASW.0000363491.23748.e4. PMID 20101103.
- "Geriatric assessment: Essential skills for Nurses"
- Lyder, Courtney H.; Wang, Yun; Metersky, Mark; Curry, Maureen; Kliman, Rebecca; Verzier, Nancy R.; Hunt, David R. (2012). "Hospital-Acquired Pressure Ulcers: Results from the National Medicare Patient Safety Monitoring System Study". Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 60 (9): 1603–1608. doi:10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.04106.x. PMID 22985136.