The Warning (band)
|Origin||Monterrey, Nuevo León, México|
The Warning is a Mexican rock band from Monterrey, Nuevo León, formed in 2013 by the Villarreal Vélez sisters: Daniela (guitar, lead vocals, piano), Paulina (drums, lead and backing vocals, piano), and Alejandra (bass guitar, piano, backing vocals). Their most recent album Error was released in June 2022.
The Villarreal Vélez sisters were raised in Monterrey, and all received training on various instruments at an early age. At some point in their childhood, Daniela and Paulina had selected guitar and drums as their primary instruments, respectively. When the youngest of the three, Alejandra, selected bass guitar as her primary instrument at about age 7, the sisters decided to form a rock power trio. They learned to play rock songs, often via the Rock Band video game series, and posted videos of their performances to YouTube.
In 2014, 12-year-old Paulina was profiled in the women's drumming publication Tom Tom Magazine. The band first gained widespread notice later in 2014 when, at ages 9 through 14, their YouTube video in which they performed Metallica's "Enter Sandman" went viral among rock music fans, eventually earning more than 20 million views. The video received attention from Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett, who offered particular praise for Paulina, saying "The drummer kicks maximum ass!"
As independent artists (2015–2020)
Due to notice gained by their "Enter Sandman" video, The Warning decided to seek a record deal and develop their own songs. They raised money through a successful GoFundMe appeal to record the six-song EP Escape the Mind, which was released in 2015. During production of the EP, the band met producer Jake Carmona, who went on to contribute to Escape the Mind and their next three albums. In April 2015, the band appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. During this period the sisters raised funds, including a donation from DeGeneres and the Target Corporation, to attend a five-week training program at Berklee College of Music in the United States.
They also gave two presentations at the TEDx conference at the University of Nevada in 2016 and 2017. The band was known for practicing with the Rock Band video game series early in their history; designers returned the favor by including several songs by The Warning in various editions of the series released during this period.
The Warning's first full-length album, XXI Century Blood, was released in 2017. During this period they were invited to perform at the Mother of All Rock Festival in Monterrey, and also opened a show for The Killers in that city. Their second album Queen of the Murder Scene was released in November 2018. They announced an extensive upcoming tour throughout North America in late 2019, though it was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
With Lava Records (2020–present)
In August 2020, The Warning signed a five-album deal with Lava Records, and began work on a new album with producer David Bendeth. The song "Choke" was released in May 2021. Later that year, The Warning appeared on the Metallica tribute album The Metallica Blacklist, performing another cover of "Enter Sandman", this time with singer Alessia Cara. The six-song EP Mayday was released in October 2021, and The Warning embarked on a tour of North America in early 2022, performing more than 30 dates as headliners plus opening for Foo Fighters, Sammy Hagar and the Circle, and Stone Temple Pilots. They released the single "Money" in March 2022, and the song reached no. 31 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Airplay chart. The full-length album Error, comprising the six tracks from the Mayday EP plus "Money" and seven new songs, was released in June 2022. In July 2022, they embarked on a U.S. tour supporting Halestorm and The Pretty Reckless, before resuming their headlining tour in August 2022.
- Daniela "Dany" Villarreal Vélez (born January 30, 2000) - guitars, lead vocals, piano (2013–present)
- Paulina "Pau" Villarreal Vélez (born February 5, 2002) - drums, lead and backing vocals, piano (2013–present)
- Alejandra "Ale" Villarreal Vélez (born December 13, 2004) - bass, backing vocals, piano (2013–present)
- XXI Century Blood (2017)
- Queen of the Murder Scene (2018)
- Error (2022)
- Escape the Mind (2015)
- Mayday (2021)
- "Free Falling" (2015)
- "Narcisista" (2019)
- "Choke" (2021)
- "Evolve" (2021)
- "Enter Sandman" (2021) (with Alessia Cara)
- "Martirio" (2021)
- "Disciple" (2021)
- "Money" (2022) – No. 31 Mainstream Rock Songs
|2019||Independent Music Awards||Rock / Hard Rock||Queen of the Murder Scene||Nominated|||
- Villarreal, Daniela; Villarreal, Paulina; Villarreal, Alejandra (March 26, 2019). Press Conference at Gama Music (video). TW - Gig Videos YouTube Channel. Event occurs at 18:20. Retrieved March 31, 2019 – via YouTube.
- Childers, Chad (2022-03-14). "There's a New Band The Warning You Should Get to Know - Here's How". Loudwire. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Dowdell, Michael (2019-02-11). "You've Been Warned: How The Warning went from video game players to Rock Band musicians - Guitar Girl Magazine". Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Lumbiarres, Mar Gimeno (2014). "Killer Drummer Paulina Villarreal Vélez". Tom Tom Magazine. Retrieved August 26, 2017.
- Heigl, Alex (April 20, 2015). "Stop Everything and Watch These Teen Girls Play Metallica's 'Enter Sandman'". People. Retrieved August 26, 2017.
- Wolfe, Clarke (April 19, 2015). "Teen Girl Band THE WARNING Cover ENTER SANDMAN and Crush It". Nerdist Industries. Archived from the original on July 24, 2015. Retrieved August 26, 2017.
- Page, Justin (April 9, 2015). "The Warning, A Rock Band Featuring Three Talented Sisters Between the Ages of Nine and 14". Laughing Squid. Retrieved August 26, 2017.
- Leonard, Ian (2015-04-20). "Who are the Mexican sisters being tipped to make a big noise on the music scene?". The Mirror. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Kliegman, Julie (April 10, 2015). "These Girls Started A Totally Badass Metal Band And Their Bassist Is Only 10". Music. BuzzFeed News. BuzzFeed, Inc. Retrieved August 26, 2017.
- Sweeney, Chris (2015-04-16). "'The Warning' Hits GoFundMe Goal, Drops EP in Same Week". Boston Magazine. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Beaudoin, Kate (April 17, 2015). "Meet the Three Mexican Sisters Whose Viral Videos Just Got Them a Record Deal". Mic. Retrieved August 26, 2017.
- "Mixing of Mediums: Record Producer Jake Carmona on Music, Video Games, and Horror". scoop.previewsworld.com. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- ERROR - Warning | Credits | AllMusic, retrieved 2022-07-11
- Sheeler, C.F. (August 2017). "The Warning - Hard rock girls conquer Ellen, Megadeth, video games". Perfect Sound Forever. Retrieved August 26, 2017.
- Smith, D. Grant (2015-04-23). "Three Sisters Metallica Cover Pays For Their College Tuition". CMUSE. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Keefe-Feldman, Mike (2015-08-14). "School's in for Summer: Metalhead Sisters the Warning Hone Chops at Berklee | Berklee". www.berklee.edu. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- "TEDxUniversityofNevada 2016". TEDx University of Nevada. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- "TEDxUniversityofNevada 2017". TEDx University of Nevada. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- Jones, Rebel (2022-07-25). "All Sister Rock Band Aged 9, 12, & 14, Reach 23M Views With "Enter Sandman" Cover". The Music Man. Retrieved 2022-11-18.
- "Rock Band Rivals Round-Up". www.harmonixmusic.com. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- The Warning - XXI Century Blood Album Reviews, Songs & More | AllMusic, retrieved 2022-07-04
- "DEF LEPPARD Confirmed For MOTHER OF ALL Rock Festival In Monterrey". Def Leppard News. May 31, 2017. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- "The Warning opening for The Killers at Arena Monterrey". www.wherevent.com. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- RnB (2019-02-27). "The Warning. "Queen Of The Murder Scene" album review". Rock and Blog (in Spanish). Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- "Coronavirus: A Full List of Metal and Hard Rock Tours and Their Current Status". MetalSucks. 2020-03-12. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Low, Tara (2022-01-27). "The Warning talks new music, working with David Bendeth, and the importance of communication - Guitar Girl Magazine". Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Cheetah, Cherri. "Review: Rock Band, The Warning Release Their Debut Single with Lava Records, 'CHOKE'". BANDED. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Daly, Joe (September 6, 2021). "The Metallica Blacklist – Review". Metal Hammer. Retrieved November 7, 2021.
- Diggins, Mark (2021-10-10). "Hard Rock Trio The Warning Release Debut EP ′Mayday′". The Rockpit. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- "The Warning Rock Band". Retrieved 2022-08-28.
- Staff, GGM (March 25, 2022). "The Warning Drops New Single & Video "Money"". Retrieved August 28, 2022.
- "Mainstream Rock Songs – Week of June 18, 2022". Billboard. Retrieved June 18, 2022.
- Peacock, Tim (2022-06-06). "Rock Sister Trio The Warning Announce Debut Album, 'Error'". uDiscover Music. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Vigil, Dom (2022-06-04). "The Warning: ERROR". Prelude Press. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Devin, Cait (2022-05-16). "The Warning's Dany Villarreal on songwriting with her sisters and the videogame that kickstarted her guitar journey". guitarworld. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- Bishop, Matt (2022-03-28). "Halestorm, The Pretty Reckless Announce U.S. Tour with The Warning, Lilith Czar". The Rock Revival. Retrieved 2022-07-04.
- "The Warning Rock Band". Retrieved 2022-08-28.
- "Mainstream Rock Songs – Week of July 2, 2022". Billboard. Retrieved July 5, 2022.
- "The 17th Independent Music Awards Nominees Announced". Independent Music Awards. April 11, 2019. Retrieved Dec 23, 2019.