|Birth name||James McGuiness|
|Born||24 July 1990|
|Origin||Newark, Nottinghamshire, England.|
|Associated acts||The Wanted|
James "Jay" McGuiness (born 24 July 1990) is a British singer and songwriter, best known as a vocalist with boy band The Wanted. On 19 December 2015, partnered with Aliona Vilani, he won the 13th series of BBC's Strictly Come Dancing.
From the age of 12, he pursued his love of performing by attending the Charlotte Hamilton School of Dance in Newark. As his love for the performing arts grew he attended the prestigious Midlands Academy of Dance and Drama in Carlton near Nottingham.
McGuiness is known as one fifth of Anglo-Irish boy band The Wanted. He has been a member of the band since 2010, alongside Max George, Siva Kaneswaran, Tom Parker and Nathan Sykes. He discovered the band by Googling 'auditions' and getting two results, one for a circus and one for the band.
In October 2018 McGuiness appeared at the London Palladium in the show Rip it Up the 60s, alongside Harry Judd, Aston Merrygold and Louis Smith. The show then transferred to the Garrick Theatre.
Strictly Come Dancing
On 24 August 2015, McGuiness was confirmed as a celebrity contestant in the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing. He was partnered with professional dancer Aliona Vilani. In the third week of competition, he was awarded a total of 37 points out of 40, the highest week 3 score in the history of the competition, for his jive. He also received the first 10 of the series. In week 6, he danced an American Smooth to "Li'l Red Riding Hood" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs and scored 34, putting him in second place by only one point. In week 10 he danced a tango to "When Doves Cry" by Prince and scored 38. In Week 11 he danced a rumba to "Falling Slowly", from the musical Once, and scored 39, putting him at the top. In the semi-final his Charleston scored 37. In the final, on 19 December 2015, the couple danced a Quickstep to "My Generation" by The Who, scoring 36, a showdance to "Can't Feel My Face" by The Weeknd, scoring 35, and a Pasodoble to "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi, scoring 39. In the public vote the couple were voted the series winners, gaining the Glitterball trophy.
- Strictly Come Dancing performances
|Week #||Dance/Song||Judges' scores||Total||Result|
|1||Cha-Cha-Cha / "Reach Out, I'll Be There"||5||8||7||7||27||No Elimination|
|2||Waltz / "See the Day"||7||8||8||8||31||Safe|
|3||Jive / "Misirlou/You Never Can Tell"||9||9||9||10||37||Safe|
|4||Quickstep / "My Generation"||5||7||6||7||25||Safe|
|5||Paso Doble / "It's My Life"||8||9||8||8||33||Safe|
|6||American Smooth / "Li'l Red Riding Hood"||8||9||8||9||34||Safe|
|7||Argentine Tango / "Diferente"||8||9||8||9||34||Safe|
|8||Foxtrot / "Lay Me Down"||6||8||8||8||30||Safe|
|9||Salsa / "Cuba"||9||9||9||9||36||Safe|
|10||Tango / "When Doves Cry"||9||10||9||10||38||Safe|
|Quickstep-athon / "Sing, Sing, Sing"||Awarded||3||Extra||Points||41|
|11||Rumba / "Falling Slowly"||9||10||10||10||39||Safe|
|12||Viennese Waltz / "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?"||8||9||8||9||34||Safe|
|Charleston / "Doctor Jazz"||9||9||9||10||37|
|13||Quickstep / "My Generation"||9||9||9||9||36||Winner|
|Showdance / "Can't Feel My Face"||8||9||9||9||35|
|Paso Doble / "It's My Life"||9||10||10||10||39|
|2013||Chasing the Saturdays||Himself||Episode: "DeepFriedSats"|
|The Wanted Life|
|2015||Strictly Come Dancing||Contestant||Series 13|
|2017||Celebrity Hunted||Contestant||Series 1|
|2016–2017||Big The Musical||Josh Baskin|
- "Notts Most Wanted: Jay McGuiness". Archived from the original on 2015-12-24. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Screaming girls greet singer who goes back to school". Newark Advertiser. 23 July 2010. Archived from the original on 27 September 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "Jay McGuiness Wanted on the Strictly dance floor". BBC.
- "BBC One - Strictly Come Dancing - Jay McGuiness". BBC.
- "Strictly Come Dancing - Jay McGuinnes - BBC One". BBC. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Rip It Up The Show". Ripituptheshow.com. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
- "Jay McGuiness: Strictly Come Dancing 2015 contestant". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "'Strictly Come Dancing': Aliona Vilani 'Argues With Husband Vincent Kavanagh' After Being Snapped With Partner Jay McGuiness". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-12-05.
- "BBC Blogs - Strictly Come Dancing - Halloween Week Leader Board Recap". Bbc.co.uk. 7 November 2015. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Video: Strictly Come Dancing 2015: moment Jay McGuiness and Aliona Vilani win the show". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. 19 December 2015. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- McGuiness, Jay (25 March 2015). "I'm not a militant vegetarian by any means, but please watch this before your next". Twitter.com. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "The Wanted's Jay McGuiness Named World's Sexiest Male Vegetarian Celebrity". Capitalfm.com.