The Velocity of Gary
|The Velocity of Gary|
|Directed by||Dan Ireland|
|Screenplay by||James Still|
|Based on||The Velocity of Gary (Not His Real Name)|
by James Still
|Produced by||Carl Colpaert|
|Narrated by||Vincent D'Onofrio|
|Edited by||Luis Colina |
|Music by||Peitor Angell|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures|
The Velocity of Gary, also known as The Velocity of Gary* *(Not His Real Name), is a 1998 American dramatic comedy film directed by Dan Ireland and written by James Still, based on his homonymous play. It stars Thomas Jane in the title role, along with Salma Hayek and Vincent D'Onofrio.
Gary (not his real name, which is never revealed) is a hustler walking through the streets of New York City, looking for business. On the way, he saves Kid Joey, a young deaf transvestite who just arrived in New York, from a group of gay bashers, but he regrets it afterwards because Kid Joey becomes infatuated with Gary and follows him everywhere. Gary introduces him to his friends: Valentino, a former porn star, and Mary Carmen, the Latina who works as a doughnut shop waitress and is in love with Valentino, with whom she has been living for some time. Together they form a bohemian family, which includes Veronica, a still-active porn star, and Nat, a tattoo artist. Gary is also in love with Valentino, who is dying of AIDS. Through the stages of the disease, Mary Carmen and Gary argue over what kind of care he should be receiving, and who is going to supply that care. As Valentino draws near death, Mary Carmen finds out she is carrying Valentino's baby. The three take stock of themselves and their relationships with one another.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Valentino
- Salma Hayek as Mary Carmen
- Thomas Jane as Gary
- Olivia d'Abo as Veronica
- Ethan Hawke as Nat
- Chad Lindberg as Kid Joey
- Jason Cutler as Romaine
- Shawn Michael Howard as Coco
- Elizabeth D'Onofrio as Dorothy
- Hakan D'Onofrio as Running Boy
- Keegan de Lancie as Choir Boy
- Ravell Dameron as Receptionist in Clinic
- Yvette Diaz as Young Mary Carmen
- Marion Eaton as Miss Sweetheart
- Phillip Esposito as Phone Sex Guy
- Luchisha Evans as Waitress
- Michael Mantell as Angry Customer
- Gloria Irizarry as Mrs. Sanchez
- Ruby Rufus Isaacs as Sleeping Beauty
- Khalil Kain as Venus
- Arielle Santos as Hope
- Stephen C. Marshall as Angry Boss
- Hugh Palmer as Paramedic
- John Panico as Saxophone Player
- Cordelia Richards as Jana Roberts
- Jacob Sidney as Sean
- "THE VELOCITY OF GARY | British Board of Film Classification". www.bbfc.co.uk. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- "The Velocity of Gary". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- "The Velocity of Gary (1999) - Financial Information". The Numbers. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- Rooney, David (October 5, 1998). "The Velocity of Gary". Variety. Retrieved April 6, 2020.
- Grode, Eric (July 18, 1999). "STAGE TO SCREEN: Gary, Gadget, McGillin & Gorgeous". Playbill. Retrieved April 6, 2020.
- "The Velocity of Gary (1999)". Retrieved May 31, 2020 – via www.rottentomatoes.com.
- Ebert, Roger. "The Velocity Of Gary movie review (1999) | Roger Ebert". www.rogerebert.com. Retrieved May 31, 2020.