Watch The 50 Year Argument
Choose a Streaming Option
Most recommended streaming services
- Your favorites, all in one place. Disney + Pixar + Marvel + Star Wars + Nat Geo
- Stream exclusive Disney+ Originals
- Stream now or download and go
- Tons of shows and movies
- Watch on your favorite devices
- Switch plans or chanel anytime
- Unlimited HD streaming and downloads
- Thousands of movies and TV shows
- Stream on up to 4 devices at the same time
The 50 Year Argument is a documentary film by Martin Scorsese and co-directed by David Tedeschi about the history and influence of the New York Review of Books, which marked its 50th anniversary in 2013. The documentary premiered in June 2014 at the Sheffield Doc/Fest and was soon screened in Oslo and Jerusalem before airing on the British Arena television series in July. It was also screened at the Telluride Film Festival and the Toronto International Film Festival and was seen at the New York Film Festival, in September, and at other film festivals. It first aired on HBO in September 2014 and was given other national broadcasts. It had a limited theatrical release in Toronto in 2015. The film uses a combination of archival footage, quotes from the Review and contemporary interviews to give a view of the coverage of the journal over its half-century of publication, focusing on how its writers and editors have approached the larger issues of the day. Reviews of the film have been mostly warm.
Microsoft and partners may be compensated if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.