Commuting to New York from Summit New Jersey
Living in Summit New Jersey gives you various options for traveling into Manhattan including travel via train, bus, car, path, by water or by air.
- Train - Summit commuters can travel to NY via New Jersey Transit by two different train lines; The Morristown Line and Gladstone Branch Line. The Morristown Line is better known as The "Midtown Direct" which provides service to Penn Station 34th Street without any transfers and in a commute time of about 38minutes.The Gladstone Branch Line provides service to Hoboken with 2 direct trains into Penn Station 34th Street. In Hoboken, one can connect to either the PATH or Light Rail along with Ferry access via the Waterway.
Summit commuters can pick up the train at 40 Union Place, Summit NJ 07901. See below for parking in Summit New Jersey.
- Bus - The Lakeland Bus line offers Summit residents bus service from Summit to New York City Port Authority station.
Click here to see the full schedule.
- Driving - Summit provides its residents with close proximity to I-78, Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike.
- WaterWay - Summit residents can also utilize the New York Waterway via Ferry service. Click for schedule and fare.
- Airport - If you're looking to avoid 27 stoplight miles to either Manhattan or Newark International Airport, then Morristown Municipal Airport can provide you several different hassle-free options.
Summit New Jersey Resident Commuter Parking
A Summit resident can easily obtain a residential bar-code parking permit to park in order to commute. This permit can be obtained at the Parking Services Department, Summit City Hall, 512 Springfield Avenue, Summit NJ 07901.
The Broad Street Garage (Lot #6) and 60 spaces in the surface lot East of the Garage
The Elm Street Lot (Lot #8)
The Chestnut Lot (Lot #7)
The Sampson Lot (Lot #9), adjacent to the Summit Middle School
Use of these lots require a Summit Resident Sticker or an employee car sticker.
Employee and Summit Resident Stickers can be acquired at the Summit City Hall
Non-Resident Commuter Parking
120 valet spaces in the surface Lot #13 - East of the Broad Street Garage. The charge for these spaces is $10 per day. Also Lot #14, Park & Rail, 24-hour parking up to 5 days, $10 per day, FREE on Saturday and Sunday.
Prepaid parking cars can be purchased at the Parking Services Department or The Summit Public Library. Credit Cards, Cash or Check are accepted at City Hall only. Checks or Cash at the Library.