UK & Ireland poster
|Directed by||David Freyne|
Dating Amber (originally titled Beards) is an Irish comedy-drama film directed by David Freyne. The film features two closeted teenagers in 1990s Ireland who decide to start a fake relationship.
It was released on Prime Video UK on 4 June 2020 with a theatrical release coming later the same year.
- Fionn O'Shea as Eddie
- Lola Petticrew as Amber
- Sharon Horgan as Hannah
- Barry Ward as Ian
- Simone Kirby as Jill
- Evan O'Connor as Jack
- Ian O'Reilly as Kev
- Emma Willis as Tracey
- Anastasia Blake as Janet
- Lauryn Canny as Sarah
- Shaun Dunne as Cian
- Adam Carolan as Geoff
- Peter Campion as Sweeney
- Arian Nik as Adam
David Freyne directs the film with Rachael O'Kane and John Keville of Atomic 80 producing in co-production with Belgian company Wrong Men. The film received funding and production support from Screen Ireland and the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland. Will Clarke, Andy Mayson, and Mike Runagall of Altitude, Dearbhla Regan of Screen Ireland, and Rory Dungan of Wildcard executive produce. Principal photography took place in summer 2019.
Wildcard is in charge of local distribution rights and Altitude is handling UK and other international distribution; this announcement came with a first look promotional image. It was announced along with a trailer in May 2020 that the film would premiere on Prime Video UK that June before a later Irish theatrical release on 3 July.
Samuel Goldwyn Films acquired the North American rights. The company released a trailer for the film in September. Dating Amber was showcased at the Canadian Inside Out Film and Video Festival in October. The film is available in North America digitally and on-demand since 13 November.
- Abbatescianni, Davide (1 August 2019). "David Freyne's comedy Dating Amber in post-production". Cineuropa. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- "David Freyne's 'Dating Amber' to debut on Amazon Prime Video in June". Screen Daily. 15 May 2020. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- Grater, Tom (29 July 2019). "Altitude boards Irish comedy 'Beards' with Fionn O'Shea, Sharon Horgan (exclusive)". Screen Daily. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- Finnan, Sarah (15 May 2020). "WATCH: First look at new Irish movie Dating Amber". Lovin Dublin. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (4 August 2020). "Samuel Goldwyn Acquires David Freyne's LGBTQ+ Teen Comedy 'Dating Amber'". Deadline. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (9 September 2020). "Inside Out LGBT Film Festival to Feature 'The Boys in the Band', 'The Obituary of Tunde Johnson', 'Cowboys' and More for Virtual Edition". Deadline. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Irish coming out comedy 'Dating Amber' heads to the US". RTÉ. 5 August 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.