Wikipedia:Meetup/SF/Wikipedia Day 2017
|date:||Sunday, January 15, 2017|
|time:||2 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. PDT|
|address:||WMF Chip Deubner Lounge|
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105-3739
|directions & parking||to WMF|
|host||Bay Area WikiSalon|
|sponsor||WMF Rapid Grant|
|hashtags for edit summaries & social media||#WD16, #bawikisalon, & #Wikipedia16|
Wikipedia Day 16 SF is a fun Birthday bash and edit-a-thon to be held on Sunday, January 15, 2017, hosted by Bay Area WikiSalon at the Wikimedia Foundation's Chip Deubner Lounge in the South of Market business district in downtown San Francisco.
The San Francisco gathering is one of a number of Wikipedia Day celebrations worldwide.
The general public is invited. Participation will be free of charge, with room for 100 participants (hard fire marshal limit), each who should bring a photo ID for the doorperson. All are welcome, and we are especially interested in seeing newcomers join up with experienced Wikipedians/Wikimedians. We also hope for the participation of our friends from the free culture movement and from cultural institutions interested in developing open education projects.
Cake, snacks, and drinks will be sponsored by Bay Area WikiSalon via a Rapid Grant from the Wikimedia Foundation. There will be three birthday cakes (glutenous, gluten-free, and vegan), an ice cream social, and soft and hard beverages. Note: If you have a favorite beverage or treat, please bring some, and consider sharing it!
In addition to the party, the event will include an unconference with lightning talks, announcements from the floor, an edit-a-thon, and a Wikidata training session. The lightning talks will be determined during the event itself, so it will be good to bring your ideas with you, and any supporting material you need to pull it off.
The venue offers free Wi-Fi access, a projector, three screens, as well as handheld and lavaliere microphones.
- Date: Sunday, January 15, 2017
- Time: 2:00–6:00 p.m. PDT
- After-parties: 6:00–9:00 p.m. can be arranged informally at nearby bars or eateries (John Colins bar is popular, as is ThirstyBear organic brewery and restaurant)
|Chip Deubner Lounge||S/E corner
|1:00-2:00||Doors open, setup|
|2:30||Welcome, thank yous & housekeeping|
|2:40||Cake cutting! Followed by ice cream social, soft beverages, sparkling wine, beer, wine, hard cider, hard iced tea, water (open 'til 6 p.m.)|
|2:55||Hello to Wikimedia New York City!|
Global livestream session
|3:40-3:45||Announcements from the floor|
|3:45-5:45||Ice cream social continues||Edit-a-thon (theme: recent news topics)||Tools demonstration by User:Ijon|
|5:50-6:00||Toasts and closing remarks|
|6:00-6:15||Cleanup and recycle recyclables including compostable items|
|6:00-9:00||Wikipedia Day 16 San Francisco After Party (offsite)|
- Add your 1 to 5-minute Lightning Talk here (one or two lightning talks per user, please):
Any topic you can personally present, about wiki topics or anything free culture-related (actual schedule for lightning talks will be determined last minute.) Lighting talks with active discussions can break out into Open Space sessions! Last-minute entries always accepted! The lounge has booths, counters, stools, couches, and one cubby to break out into. Please provide the number of minutes you will need. Please practice your talk in advance if possible, so you can adhere to your time allotment.
- Will talk about adding MIT OpenCourseWare in 7 languages to Wikidata and Wikipedia and how this will work re World University and School (for free CC university degrees) (5 minutes) Scott WUaS (talk)
- Introduction to the Internet Archive's ebook lending program Ijon (talk) 02:42, 5 January 2017 (UTC)
- "How to design and run a successful virtual editathon on a budget of $0" --Rosiestep (talk) 22:09, 15 January 2017 (UTC)
- Demonstration of the Content translation feature. --User:Santhosh.thottingal
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 --MahmoudHashemi (talk) 20:57, 15 January 2017 (UTC)
- Phabricator is Phun! --User:Amire80
- Photo walk for Wikimedia Commons -- User:Dreamyshade
- Bay Area WikiSalon -- User:Ben Creasy
- ... add your lightning talk topic and signature above
- What is Wikidata? (5-minute version) Ijon (talk) 02:42, 5 January 2017 (UTC)
- The Diversity of Wikipedia Communities: Strange tales from faraway lands Ijon (talk) 02:42, 5 January 2017 (UTC)
- Top Three Excuses You're Not Contributing Video to Wikipedia, and Why They Don't Make Sense Ijon (talk) 02:42, 5 January 2017 (UTC)
- ... add your lightning talk topic and signature above
We'll have a mini edit-a-thon centered on recent topics in the news, coordinated by Dreamyshade. If you're new to editing, we'll help you get started! If you've made some minor edits but want to try making more substantial edits, we can help you with that too. Suggested list of articles to edit include the following, which are all marked with needs-improvement tags:
- Voter suppression in the United States#2016 presidential election
- National Security Entry-Exit Registration System#History
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau#Regulatory activities
Needs additional citations:
- Election Assistance Commission#History
- National Security Entry-Exit Registration System
- Carrier Corporation
- Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee
Lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents:
Does not cite any sources:
Needs to be updated:
- Added New York section to Voter suppression in the United States#2016 presidential election
- Expanded National Security Entry-Exit Registration System and added references
- Uploaded and added photos to Weezer, Saosin, and Transbay Transit Center
Wikimedia Commons photo exhibition
- We will have an exhibition of highlights from San Franciscans' photography for Wikimedia Commons, including from Wikipedia Day 15.
- Pax Ahimsa Gethen (Funcrunch) displayed a slideshow of their San Francisco photography from 2016.
- (No one else signed up :-) ) Funcrunch (talk) 03:41, 16 January 2017 (UTC)
- ... add your name and signature above here if you would like to coordinate a display
- Organize an after party here. Please list venue, capacity, and sign it with 4 tildes ( ~~~~ ):
- ... add your after party idea above here and sign it
Livestream and archive
- Link TO COME
- Regrets. Very cool that the space is named after Chip. I can see his smile now, and his side eye when someone holds a microphone too close to their mouth. Anyway, Happy Birthday WP. Maybe next year! Missvain (talk) 02:06, 13 January 2017 (UTC)
- What can you do to pitch in?
Social networking? Promotion? Setup? Food prep? Greeters? Ambassadors? Name tags? Mentors? Take pictures? Display something cool? Break down? Cleanup? Host an after party?
- I can emcee/facilitate again. --Rosiestep (talk) 01:04, 6 January 2017 (UTC)
- I'll bring my camera as usual - Funcrunch (talk) 02:53, 6 January 2017 (UTC)
- I'll lead an editathon group - Dreamyshade (talk) 00:04, 8 January 2017 (UTC)
- ... add your task and signature above this line
- Linkedin article (please share)
- Facebook event (please share)
- Tweet this event
- Twitter search: #Wikipedia16
Wikipedia Day events
Wikipedia Day 2017 - Global
Wikipedia Day NYC: 2010-2016
Next Bay Area WikiSalon
- Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 6 p.m. at the Wikimedia Foundation Chip Deubner Lounge, 149 New Montgomery Street, San Franciso
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wikipedia Day 16 SF.|
- Wikipedia 16 on Meta