Cagefighter: Worlds Collide
|Cagefighter: Worlds Collide|
|Directed by||Jesse Quinones|
|Written by||Jesse Quinones|
|Distributed by||Princ Films|
Cagefighter: Worlds Collide is a 2020 British-American action sports film written and directed by Jesse Quinones. Starring Alex Montagnani, Jonathan Good, Gina Gershon, Jay Reso, and Chuck Liddell, the film follows a successful MMA champion who agrees to defend his championship against a professional wrestler. It premiered digitally via streaming service FITE TV on May 16, 2020, and was released in the United States in October 9.
Reiss is the greatest champion to ever fight in the MMA promotion Legends. However, when promoter Max Black pits him against professional wrestling star Randy Stone, Reiss finds himself in the toughest fight of his life.
- Alex Montagnani as Reiss Gibbons
- Jon Moxley as Randy Stone
- Gina Gershon as Max Black
- Jay “Christian” Reso as Stephen Drake
- Chuck Liddell as Marcus
- Luke Rockhold as Tony Gunn
- Elijah Baker as Reggie
- Rigan Machado as himself
- Brad Pickett as himself
- Kwame Augustine as Jerome
- Linden Clark as Alex
In an interview with the Press Association in February 2018, Josh Herdman revealed that he was preparing for a role in the film, then tentatively known as simply Cagefighter. In January 2019, it was reported by Deadline Hollywood that Michael Jai White and Gina Gershon had been cast in the film, and that Herdman would play the lead role of Reiss. Jesse Quinones was attached to write and direct, while mixed martial artists Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, Alexander Gustafsson, Dan Hardy, and Tyron Woodley were revealed to be making cameo appearances in the film. In May 2019, professional wrestler Jon Moxley (credited under his real name of Jonathan Good) was cast in the film as the antagonist Randy Stone. Also in May, the film was picked up for distribution by Kaleidoscope Film Distribution. In October, Herdman and Jai White left the project and the role of Reiss was given to Alex Montagnani. Chuck Liddell, Luke Rockhold, and Jay "Christian" Reso were also cast in the film, with filming set to commence on November 1 in Regina, Saskatchewan. Filming finished on November 25, with additional scenes being shot in London on December 18.
On April 13, 2020, a teaser trailer for the film was released on YouTube. On April 15, FITE TV announced that the film would premiere live on the service on May 16, for all countries outside of the United States. The film was originally scheduled for a limited theatrical release, but this changed after movie theaters closed worldwide due to restrictions stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic. On October 1, 2020, it was announced that the film would be released via video on demand to customers in the United States on October 9.
Steph Franchomme of VultureHound gave the film a rating of four-and-a-half stars out of five. He praised the performances of Liddell, Good and Gershon, and applauded the film's message: "Cagefighter: Worlds Collide is not only a movie for wrestling or MMA fans. It is made for any human being who believes in the fact everything is possible in life. You can be a Champion in a ring or a cage, the essential is for you to be the Champion of your own life."
- Grater, Tom (May 14, 2019). "Cannes Market: UK buzz titles". Screen Daily. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "Cagefighter Worlds Collide". AMC Theatres. Retrieved October 30, 2020.
- Grater, Tom (February 9, 2019). "Michael Jai White, Gina Gershon MMA film 'Cagefighter' picked up for sales (exclusive)". Screen Daily. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Wiseman, Andreas (January 28, 2019). "Michael Jai White, Gina Gershon & MMA Fighters Limber Up For Sports Pic 'Cagefighter'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "Cagefighter: Worlds Collide". Woolfcub Productions. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "Cagefighter: Worlds Collide Movie Premiere". FITE TV. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Press Association (February 16, 2018). "Harry Potter star: Martial arts changed my life after I became a party animal". Evening Express. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Abdeldaiemmay, Alaa (May 8, 2019). "Former WWE Star Dean Ambrose Cast in MMA-Themed Movie 'Cagefighter'". Sports Illustrated.
- Wiseman, Andreas (May 8, 2019). "Former WWE Star Dean Ambrose Joins Cast Of MMA Movie 'Cagefighter'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 27, 2019.
- Wiseman, Andreas (October 21, 2019). "MMA Action Pic 'Cagefighter' Sets November 1 Start Date; Cast Includes Jay "Christian" Reso, Chuck Liddell, Luke Rockhold". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Instagram Post by @cagefightermovie
- Instagram Post by @cagefightermovie
- "Cagefighter: Worlds Collide - Trailer". YouTube. Trilight Entertainment. April 13, 2020. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "FITE on Twitter". Twitter. April 15, 2020. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- Olson, Matt (May 15, 2020). "MMA movie made in Saskatchewan gets international digital debut". The StarPhoenix. Retrieved May 18, 2020.
- @CagefighterMov (October 1, 2020). "Cagefighter Movie on Twitter" (Tweet). Retrieved October 4, 2020 – via Twitter.
- Franchomme, Stephen (May 17, 2020). "The Cage of Life – Cagefighter: World Collide (Film Review)". VultureHound. Retrieved May 18, 2020.