Pimp (2010 film)
Pimp is a British thriller film in the mockumentary vein of Man Bites Dog. It had a multi-platform release on 21 May 2010. It is written and directed by Robert Cavanah who also plays the title role, it also starred Danny Dyer, Billy Boyd, Martin Compston, Gemma Chan, Scarlett Alice Johnson, Barbara Nedeljáková.
|Directed by||Robert Cavanah|
|Music by||Tom Hodge|
|Edited by||Rob Redford|
A week in the life of a Soho pimp - Woody (Robert Cavanah) as seen through the lens of a documentary camera team: A week which spirals brutally out of control when the Chinese up their muscle[clarification needed] on Woody's boss's (Danny Dyer) territory, a girl goes missing, and a snuff webcast appears, showing a former employee being murdered, with another potential webcast impending.
Pimp has been panned by critics. It holds a rare 0% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 13 reviews, with an average score of 2.2 out of 10. Mark Kermode gave the film a scathing review, noting that "staggeringly, Danny Dyer is miscast" as a mob boss and said that his performance would be "funny if it wasn't so pathetic and tragic." Cath Clarke in The Guardian described Pimp as "snoringly predictable...With nil insight – into the sex industry or anything else – you might conclude Pimp is a film for men who get their kicks watching Dyer strut around leering at topless women who – in the parlance of the film – look like "the basic pleasure model". Ellen E. Jones in Total Film stated : "You wouldn't think a film could actually be both very boring and very offensive. Pimp is that paradox made flesh." British film historian I.Q. Hunter, discussing the question "What is the worst British film ever made?", listed Pimp as one of the candidates for that title.
The film only grossed £205 and was pulled from cinemas after only one screening on its opening day.
- "UK Box Office: 21–23 May 2010". British Film Institute. Archived from the original on 2 November 2013. Retrieved 9 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Pimp (2010)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 9 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Video on YouTube
- Clarke, Cath (20 May 2010). "Film Review: Pimp". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 April 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Jones, Ellen E. (14 May 2010). "Pimp". Total Film. Retrieved 28 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hunter, I. Q. (2012). "From Window Cleaner to Potato Man". In Hunter, I. Q.; Porter, Laraine (eds.). British Comedy Cinema. Routledge. p. 154. ISBN 0415666678.
- "Pimp (DVD)". Amazon. 24 May 2010. Retrieved 9 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Pimp (Blu-Ray)". Amazon. 24 May 2010. Retrieved 9 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)