|Born||Prince Louis of Cambridge|
23 April 2018
St Mary's Hospital, London, England
|Father||William, Prince of Wales|
|Royal family of|
the United Kingdom and the
other Commonwealth realms
Prince Louis of Wales (// LOO-ee; Louis Arthur Charles; born 23 April 2018) is a member of the British royal family. He is the third and youngest child of William, Prince of Wales, and Catherine, Princess of Wales. A grandson of King Charles III, he is fourth in the line of succession to the British throne.
Prince Louis was born on 23 April 2018 in St Mary's Hospital, London, at 11:01 BST (10:01 UTC), during the reign of his paternal great-grandmother Elizabeth II, as the third child and second son of Prince William and Catherine, then known as Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. His birth was marked by gun salutes and bell ringings. On 27 April, his name was announced as Louis Arthur Charles, honouring his paternal grandfather, Charles, Prince of Wales (later King Charles III), and Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma. Louis was christened on 9 July by the archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, in the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace.
Louis and his family lived at Kensington Palace and Anmer Hall during his early childhood. He made his Trooping the Colour debut in 2019. He started at Willcocks Nursery School near Kensington Palace in April 2021.
The family relocated to Adelaide Cottage in Windsor Home Park in 2022, after which he started attending Lambrook, an independent preparatory school in Berkshire, along with his older siblings, Prince George and Princess Charlotte.
Louis also accompanied his siblings and parents for his great-grandmother Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Elizabeth II died on 8 September 2022 and Louis's grandfather Charles III became king. Accordingly, Louis became fourth in line to the throne. He accompanied his parents and elder siblings to his grandfather's coronation on 6 May 2023.
Title and style
Louis is a British prince with the official style and title "His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Wales". Before his father was created Prince of Wales on 9 September 2022, Louis was styled "His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge".
Louis is fourth in the line of succession to the British throne, behind his father and two elder siblings, Prince George and Princess Charlotte. Following the implementation of the Perth Agreement, which replaced male-preference primogeniture with absolute primogeniture, he is the first British prince to be ranked behind an elder sister in the line of succession.
- As a member of the royal family entitled to be called His Royal Highness, Louis does not usually use a family name. But when one is needed, it is Mountbatten-Windsor.
- "Royal baby named Prince Louis". BBC News. 27 April 2018. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
Lou-ee not Lou-iss
- "Duchess gives birth to baby boy". BBC News. 23 April 2018. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Prince Louis". www.royal.uk. London: Buckingham Palace. May 2018. Archived from the original on 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Royal baby: Duke and duchess show off new son". BBC News. 23 April 2018. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Royal baby: Prince Charles feels 'great joy' for new grandson". BBC News. 24 April 2018. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Davies, Caroline (27 April 2018). "Duke and Duchess of Cambridge name their baby son Louis". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- Furness, Hannah; Boyle, Danny (27 April 2018). "Prince Louis Arthur Charles: New royal baby name announced by Duke and Duchess of Cambridge". The Telegraph. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- "Prince Louis to be baptised on 9 July". BBC News. 20 June 2018. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "Prince Louis: New birthday photograph as he starts nursery". BBC News. 22 April 2021. Retrieved 22 April 2021.
- "Prince Louis makes waves at parade". BBC News. 8 June 2019. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- Duboff, Josh. "Kate Middleton and Prince William Are Officially Moving to London This Fall". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 31 May 2021.
- Wylie, Catherine (3 September 2022). "Cambridges have moved into new Windsor home, sources say". Evening Standard. Retrieved 9 September 2022.
- Elston, Laura (22 August 2022). "Lambrook: Inside George, Charlotte and Louis' new £7,000-per term school". Independent. Retrieved 22 August 2022.
- Haq, Sana Noor (8 September 2022). "Royal children George, Charlotte and Louis arrive for first day at new school". CNN. Retrieved 8 August 2022.
- "Queen's Jubilee: Times Prince Louis stole the show". BBC News. 2 June 2022. Retrieved 3 June 2022.
- "Royal Family tree: William confirmed as Prince of Wales". BBC News. 9 September 2022. Retrieved 10 September 2022.
- "Queen Elizabeth II has died". BBC News. 8 September 2022. Retrieved 9 September 2022.
- Petit, Stephanie; Andaloro, Angela (6 May 2023). "Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis Arrive at Grandfather King Charles' Coronation". People. Retrieved 6 May 2023.
- LeGardye, Quinci (10 September 2022). "Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis Receive New Titles". Harpers Bazaar. Retrieved 12 September 2022 – via Yahoo!News.
- "Royal baby named Prince Louis". BBC News. 27 April 2018.
- "Royal baby: Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to new prince". BBC News. 23 April 2018. Retrieved 23 April 2018.