Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
- 2,382,127 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
Frustrating site because although it's free, when they email you a potential match's profile name, you need to upgrade your account to see that person's profile. So the only thing I can do is not respond to someone who thinks I am a good match, but wait until someone actually sends me a real message. A lot of guys don't do that. Also, I think the site has a lot of imposters on it. Or, there are many guys who think they are Shakespeare. (Or can't write or spell at all!!)
Although POF is free, I paid the extra money so I could see who read my emails, as well as other benefits. I paid for 6-months. I immediately began corresponding with several women. Then I wasn't able to sign on anymore. I sent several emails telling POF of my issue but I never got a response back. I then googled "POF Complaints" and realized my account got hacked. I again wrote POF telling them my account got hacked and I wanted a refund. POF sends me a complete refund.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
I was hacked on this sight by someone who change parts of my profile and deleted my photos. They signed me out and I couldn’t get back in. I was getting tons of responses from other members. I contacted PoF and was able to reset my password. I had to fix what she changed in my profile and reinsert my photos. I searched conversations she had with other members, found out her name and number and reported that to PoF. I think at this point she is not active in my account anymore.
When you don't go to bar or out anywhere to meet new people, online is the best way. But also be careful and have a plan before you meet someone. Have your best friend on standby in case things aren't going well. They can send you a text within 10 or 15 minutes and that can be your excuse for leaving. Always meet in a public place too. I have met a lot of very nice people and a few weird ones.
I have met great guys that were not in my area but became good friends for years. I wish we were able to meet but the expense of traveling, stopped us from meeting in person. I was able to talk on phone and video chat, we got to know each other well. I am still friends with these great guys. I know if circumstances changed I would probably been with one for years. I liked the fact I got to know them well and if we could have met it would have meant much more. I think it gave me a chance to meet men who just didn't want something from me but were truly interested in knowing me. I believe always friends first.
Their customer service is horrible, someone hacked my account stop me from accessing it, mind you I am a paid customer. The hacker changed my info to same sex. Now I'm getting unwanted inquiries, and POF is doing nothing about. They don't protect your privacy and when account is breached they won't help you. This after they have pocketed your money.
I am a software engineer with over 30 years of experience and have to rate this site as poor in a number of areas. Some of it is poor design, some poor decision making, and some is bias. This following is a list of what I consider the worst.
1. 14 year limit - someone, who presumes to be the absolute authority on human relationships, decided that no one should be in a relationship with anyone who is more than 14 years younger or older than themselves. Due to this, one is not allowed to communicate with anyone who is more than 14 years younger or older. This is bias, also known as age discrimination and leads to people lying about their age.
2. Secret list of taboo words - there is a list of words someone decided were "vulgar", and will keep messages from being sent, stop your profile from getting approved or even have your account flagged. This, in and of itself, is not problematic, but the fact that this list is not available to reference, is. This is a care of bad design and decision making.
3. Different criteria as to what is acceptable in a profile is based on gender - it seems there are different criteria as to what you can say in your profile, depending on whether you are male or female. If you are female, you can state openly that you are looking for sex or drugs, etc., yet if you are male and state the same things, your profile will not be approved. This is case of bias and sexual discrimination.
4. The POF police bot - POF has programmed into their site a bot that examines initial communications between parties. What it is looking for is not disclosed, but if it finds what it is looking for, it will delete your profile. Worst of all, you will not be notified as to why and once deleted, your profile is gone forever. This is bad design.
5. Deleting unread messages - members can delete unread messages. POF tells its members to be nice, but then lets members delete initial messages without even opening them. Since most members what more than short initial messages, this allows for very rude behavior, since someone spent time and effort composing a nice introductory message, just to have a shallow member delete it without looking at it. This is bad design and decision making.
6. Blocked profiles show up in search results - POF includes profiles you have blocked in your match results. There are reasons members block other member's profiles, yet POF puts them in search results, and this allows for the member who blocked the profile to try to write to it again, just to get a message saying this profile is blocked - what a waste of time. This is bad design.
7. Nothing indicating message was not sent - unless you check sent messages, you will not know if your message was sent or not. If you have a taboo word (see above) in an initial message you are sending, POF will not send it and does not notify you that it was not sent. Also, if your message is not sent, it is also deleted so that having one taboo word in a message could cost a lot of time and effort that was put into that message and will have to be duplicated. This is bad design.
8. No way to contact customer service unless logged in - the link to customer service is not available unless a member is logged in. This means, if a member's profile gets deleted for some reason, there is no way for that member to contact customer service, since they cannot log in if their profile has been deleted. This is bad design and decision making.
9. No category for cheaters - POF has no place for cheaters to put their profiles, which means they have to list them with the non-cheaters. If POF had a category for cheaters to list their profiles, it would cut down members that are not interested in cheaters having to deal with the cheaters. This is bad design and decision making.
10. Three month minimum premium membership - POF does not have a one month premium membership. I bet you can guess why. It is not for the convenience of its members. It is only a way of increasing profits - shame on POF. All I can say to this one is "greedy".
I could go on, especially about how lacking POF is when it comes to dealing with scammers and spammers, but I think what I have listed is enough. To sum it up, POF is a POS (think in the terms of waste material). The sooner people quit wasting their time on this site, the sooner this site will either take the steps to remedy its shortcomings or cease to exist. Either would be better than what they have going now.
POF has, as one of many features, a setting to prevent messages from people not fitting certain criteria. I understand the reasoning and am ok with it. The problem comes when a member chooses to send an indication that I am liked by them. I go to message them back and find I am blocked. Now it is obvious this person is interested but doesn’t realize I cannot respond. POF should I indicate to the other person that she has me blocked by her settings. Then give her an option to allow me to contact her. If she says no I will never know anything about it. If she says yes her setting regarding me is overridden and we can proceed with communication. Very frustrating as I have received several of these indications (likes) and cannot respond. And it does not serve her desire. She will never know and will just think I am not interested.
In 2 days of signing up on this site I received more fraudulent interest than real interest. My account was hacked on day 3 and totally taken over. Tech support has not been able to fix it in the last 2 days. My account has my cc information, so I am assuming that is compromised. Even the manner in which you cancel your subscription requires you to log on (no tech support so they won't do it for you...like in my case where I can't even get on to my account). I prepaid for 4 mo. and they offer no refunds. There is no way to reach out to an actual person. POF security measures all seem to be automated with no persons manning their desk. This site is a complete fraud!
Reported a scammer from a porn site then POF closed my account for it. Guess they are scammers themselves sending messages that someone wants to meet me then asks for money to see who it was even though they never existed.
POF.com author review by Mark Brooks
POF.com, also know as Plenty of Fish, is the largest completely free online dating site.
No Charge: While there are upgrade options available to further enhance your experience, POF.com is the largest dating site that allows you to have a completely free dating experience.
Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well as both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
Advanced behavioral search algorithm: Along with allowing members to perform basic or detailed searches, POF also reacts to the profiles you choose to click on. In future searches, it will then refine your results by bringing you results that match both what you are asking for and what you are looking at.
Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through POF.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.
Profiles are screened before being posted: POF.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
POF.com Company Information
- Company Name:
- Year Founded: