Patrick Hughes (director)
Patrick Hughes (born 1978) is an Australian film director.
Hughes started making short films when he was young, and spent three years in film school.
After making a string of high-profile commercials and shorts, and multiple failed attempts to option a script for an action/western film, he decided to direct it himself under a short schedule and low budget, in what would eventually become the 2010 film Red Hill starring Ryan Kwanten, Steve Bisley and Tom E. Lewis.
Before Red Hill, Hughes gained attention with the 2008 short film Signs and other various high-profile commercials. They soon caught the attention of Hollywood star Sylvester Stallone, who was looking for 'new blood' to direct the third installment of the lucrative The Expendables franchise. Stallone confirmed Hughes' involvement in late April 2013. Filming for The Expendables 3 commenced in August 2013 and ended in October 2013. The film held its world premiere in London on 4 August 2014.
Hughes was announced as the director of the remake of the 2011 Indonesian action film The Raid: Redemption alongside Taylor Kitsch to star. The film is still in pre-production as of July 2014. According to Tracking Board, on 23 October 2015, both Screen Gems and Kitsch had dropped out of the project and Hughes also dropped out as director.
- The Director (2000)
- The Lighter (2001)
- Signs (2008)
- Red Hill (2010)
- The Expendables 3 (2014)
- The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)
- Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (2021)
- The Man from Toronto (2022)
- "A Talk with Red Hill Director Patrick Hughes". filmmakermagazine.com. Retrieved 4 November 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Quinn, Karl. "Disney sweeps in to collect the Oscars glory but film fans reckon they've seen it all before". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "The Sly Stallone Official Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 20 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[full citation needed]
- "'Expendables 3' Director Confirmed to Helm 'The Raid: Redemption' Remake". screenrant.com. Retrieved 30 March 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)