No Sudden Move
|No Sudden Move|
|Directed by||Steven Soderbergh|
|Produced by||Casey Silver|
|Written by||Ed Solomon|
|Distributed by||HBO Max|
No Sudden Move is an upcoming American crime thriller film directed by Steven Soderbergh, produced by Casey Silver, and written by Ed Solomon. The film features an ensemble cast of Don Cheadle, Benicio del Toro, David Harbour, Jon Hamm, Ray Liotta, Kieran Culkin, Brendan Fraser, Noah Jupe, Julia Fox and Amy Seimetz. The film focuses on a group of criminals falling into a trap.
No Sudden Move is set to be released on HBO Max.
Set in 1955 in Detroit, No Sudden Move centers on a group of small-time criminals who are hired to steal what they think is a simple document. When their plan goes horribly wrong, their search for who hired them – and for what ultimate purpose – weaves them through all echelons of the race-torn, rapidly changing city.
- Don Cheadle
- Benicio del Toro
- David Harbour
- Amy Seimetz
- Jon Hamm
- Ray Liotta
- Kieran Culkin
- Noah Jupe
- Brendan Fraser
- Bill Duke
- Frankie Shaw
- Julia Fox as Vanessa
- Matt Damon
It was announced in November 2019 that Steven Soderbergh would direct the film, then titled Kill Switch, with Josh Brolin, Don Cheadle, Sebastian Stan and John Cena in consideration to star. By March 2020, Jon Hamm and Cedric the Entertainer entered negotiations, with Brolin dropping out. In May 2020, it was announced Cheadle, Stan and Hamm were confirmed, with Benicio del Toro, Ray Liotta, Amy Seimetz, Frankie Shaw and George Clooney joining the cast.
Filming was due to begin on April 1, 2020 but was delayed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Soderbergh stated he was hoping to restart in September. The film was retitled No Sudden Move, and began filming in Detroit on September 28, with David Harbour, Brendan Fraser, Kieran Culkin, Noah Jupe, Bill Duke and Julia Fox joining the cast, while actors Stan, Cena and Clooney departed due to production delays. In October, Matt Damon was added to the cast in a cameo role. Production wrapped on November 12.
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 28, 2020). "'No Sudden Move': Steven Soderbergh Sets Starry Cast For HBO Max Crime Thriller". Deadline. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- Josh Brolin, Don Cheadle, Sebastian Stan in Talks to Star in Steven Soderbergh’s Next Film
- Steven Soderbergh Plots Crime Thriller 'Kill Switch' With Don Cheadle, Josh Brolin & Sebastian Stan
- Exclusive: Jon Hamm in Talks to Join Steven Soderbergh’s ‘Kill Switch’
- Perez, Rodrigo (May 19, 2020). "Steven Soderbergh Has Written A 'Sex, Lies & Videotape' Sequel; Says George Clooney & More Set For 'Kill Switch'". The Playlist. Retrieved May 19, 2020.
- Kohn, Eric (August 26, 2020). "Steven Soderbergh Reedited Three of His Movies in Quarantine While Producing 'Bill and Ted Face the Music'". IndieWire. Retrieved September 11, 2020.
- Kit, Borys (September 28, 2020). "David Harbour, Noah Jupe, Brendan Fraser Board Steven Soderbergh's 'No Sudden Move'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 28, 2020.
- Matt Damon Reteams With Steven Soderbergh For ‘No Sudden Move’ At HBO Max
- Graham, Adam (November 16, 2020). "Soderbergh's 'No Sudden Move' wraps 'emotional' Detroit shoot". The Detroit News. Retrieved November 17, 2020.