Gustave F. Perna
Gustave F. Perna
Perna in 2016
|Born||1960 (age 60–61)|
|Service/||United States Army|
|Years of service||1981–present|
|Commands held||United States Army Materiel Command|
Joint Munitions Command
Defense Supply Center Philadelphia
4th Sustainment Brigade
64th Forward Support Battalion
|Awards||Army Distinguished Service Medal (4)|
Defense Superior Service Medal (2)
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal (2)
Gustave F. Perna (born 1960) is a United States Army four-star general who serves as the chief operating officer of Operation Warp Speed. As chief operating officer, he oversees the logistics in the United States federal government's search for a vaccine to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Senate confirmed his nomination as chief operating officer on July 2, 2020, and he assumed the office shortly after.
Perna previously served as the 19th commanding general of United States Army Materiel Command from September 30, 2016 to July 2, 2020. He also served for two years as the Army's Deputy Chief of Staff, G-4, overseeing policies and procedures used by all United States Army logistic personnel throughout the world. Prior to joining the Army staff he served for two years as Deputy Chief of Staff, G-3/4, United States Army Materiel Command.
Early life and education
Perna is a New Jersey native who attended Morris Hills High School, before graduating from Valley Forge Military Academy and College with an associate degree in business administration. Graduating as a Distinguished Military Graduate, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant, infantry officer in 1981 via the Early Commissioning Program from Valley Forge. He earned a bachelor's degree in business management from the University of Maryland and a master's degree in logistics management from the Florida Institute of Technology (1992). His military education includes: Infantry Officer Basic Course, Ordnance Officer Advanced Course, Logistics Executive Development Course, Support Operations Course, Command and General Staff College and Senior Service College.
Perna's command assignments include:
- Commander, Joint Munitions Command and Joint Munitions and Lethality Lifecycle Management Command, responsible for the lifecycle management of $40 billion of conventional ammunition
- Commander, Defense Supply Center Philadelphia, Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), responsible for the procurement of more than $14.5 billion worth of food, clothing, textiles, medicines, medical supplies, construction and equipment items for America's Warfighters and other customers worldwide
- Commander, 4th Sustainment Brigade, where he deployed the brigade to combat operations during Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07
- Commander, 64th Forward Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colorado, where he deployed the battalion to combat operations during Operation Iraqi Freedom I;
- Deputy Commanding Officer, 64th Corps Support Group, 13th Corps Support Command (COSCOM), Fort Hood, Texas
- Commander, B Company, 143rd Ordnance Battalion, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland
Perna's staff assignments include:
- Director of Logistics, J4, U.S. Forces-Iraq, responsible for sustainment plans and policies for strategic and operational logistics to sustain coalition and joint forces
- Executive Officer to the Director of the DLA, supporting the Director's mission of providing Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and other federal agencies with logistics, acquisitions and technical services support
- Ordnance Branch Chief, Human Resources Command
- Division Support Command (DISCOM) Executive Officer and G4, 1st Cavalry Division, where he deployed to Bosnia
- 544th Maintenance Battalion Support Operations Officer and Battalion Executive Officer, 13th COSCOM
- G4 Maintenance Officer, 13th COSCOM, where he deployed to Somalia as a member of Joint Task Force Support Command
Perna's nomination for promotion to commanding general of the United States Army Materiel Command (AMC) was confirmed by the United States Senate on September 15, 2016. He assumed command on September 30, 2016. In March 2020, his deputy Lieutenant General Edward M. Daly was confirmed as his successor at AMC. In May 2020, Perna was named Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the White House's Operation Warp Speed effort to quickly develop a COVID-19 vaccine. In June 2020, he was nominated to continue serving as an Army general in the position of COO, and was confirmed the next month by the Senate.
Awards and decorations
Perna's military awards include:
|Basic Parachutist Badge|
|Air Assault Badge|
|Army Staff Identification Badge|
|4th Infantry Division Combat Service Identification Badge|
|Army Ordnance Corps Distinctive Unit Insignia|
|5 Overseas Service Bars|
|Army Distinguished Service Medal with three bronze oak leaf clusters|
|Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster|
|Legion of Merit|
|Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster|
|Defense Meritorious Service Medal|
|Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters|
|Army Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters|
|Army Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster|
|Joint Meritorious Unit Award|
|Valorous Unit Award|
|Meritorious Unit Commendation|
|Superior Unit Award|
|National Defense Service Medal with one bronze service star|
|Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal|
|Iraq Campaign Medal with two service stars|
|Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal|
|Global War on Terrorism Service Medal|
|Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal|
|Armed Forces Reserve Medal|
|Army Service Ribbon|
|Army Overseas Service Ribbon with bronze award numeral 4|
|United Nations Medal (for UNOSOM mission in Somalia)|
|NATO Medal for the former Yugoslavia|
- Rempfer, Kyle (May 19, 2020). "Army 4-star will co-lead Manhattan Project-style effort to create and distribute COVID-19 vaccine". ArmyTimes. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "PN1972 — Gen. Gustave F. Perna — Army". Congress.gov. Retrieved 2020-06-13.
- "Department of Defense Statement on Gen. Gustave Perna's Confirmation". U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE. Retrieved 2020-07-03.
- Thacker, Paul (July 7, 2020). "The Sketchy Past of Trump's Coronavirus Vaccine Czar". Retrieved July 7, 2020.
- "General Gustave F. Perna: Commanding General" (PDF). U.S. Army Materiel Command. Retrieved 27 May 2018. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Valley Forge Military Academy & College". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-12-21.
VFMC Class of 1981 alumni, U.S. Army Major Gen. Gustave F. Perna has been nominated by President Barack Obama for promotion to the rank of lieutenant general.
- "PN1668 – Lt. Gen. Gustave F. Perna – Army". U.S. Congress. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- "PN1541 — Lt. Gen. Edward M. Daly — Army". U.S. Congress. Retrieved 2020-06-13.
- Smith, David (2020-05-15). "Trump unveils 'warp-speed' effort to create coronavirus vaccine by year's end". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- Crisp, Elizabeth (2020-05-15). "Trump launches "operation warp speed" effort to develop coronavirus vaccine by year's end". Newsweek. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- "Lieutenant General Gustave F. Perna, U.S. Army, Deputy Chief of Staff, G-4" (PDF). Army.mil. Retrieved 2020-12-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gustave F. Perna.|
Raymond V. Mason
| Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics of United States Army
Aundre F. Piggee
Dennis L. Via
| Commander of United States Army Materiel Command
Edward M. Daly