1946 Morgan State Bears football team
|1946 Morgan State Bears football|
Black college national champion
|Conference||Colored Intercollegiate Athletic Association|
|1946 record||8–0 (7–0 CIAA)|
|1946 Colored Intercollegiate Athletic Association football standings|
|Morgan State $||7||–||0||–||0||8||–||0||–||0|
|West Virginia State||5||–||2||–||0||6||–||3||–||1|
|North Carolina College||5||–||3||–||0||7||–||3||–||0|
|North Carolina A&T||3||–||4||–||0||4||–||4||–||0|
|Johnson C. Smith||0||–||5||–||2||0||–||6||–||2|
|Saint Paul's (VA)||0||–||6||–||0||0||–||6||–||0|
The 1946 Morgan State Bears football team was an American football team that represented Morgan State College in the Colored Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) during the 1946 college football season. In their 18th season under head coach Edward P. Hurt, the Bears compiled an 8–0 record, won the CIAA championship, shut out four of eight opponents, and outscored all opponents by a total of 151 to 31. The Bears were recognized as the 1946 black college national champion.
The 1946 season was the 10th of 12 undefeated season for Morgan State under head coach Edgar Hurt. Key players on the 1946 team included backs Terry Day and George Watkins, quarterbacks Cyril Byron and Oscar Givens, fullback George Rooks, halfback Jonathan Campbell, center Earl F. Couch II, tackles Bertram Coppock and Lorenzo Thomas, end Joseph Eggleston, placekicker Willard Jones, and punter Tippy Day.
|October 5||at Delaware State||Dover, DE||W 22–6|||
|October 12||West Virginia State||W 13–12|||
|October 19||Grambling*||W 35–0|||
|October 26||Lincoln (PA)||W 28–0|||
|November 2||at North Carolina A&T||Greensboro, NC||W 12–7|
|November 9||at Bluefield State||Bluefield, WV||W 15–6|||
|November 13||Hampton||Baltimore, MD||W 20–0|||
|November 28||at Virginia State||Petersburg, VA||W 6–0||12,000|||
- "Morgan State Yearly Results (1945-1949)". College Football Data Warehouse. Archived from the original on September 6, 2015. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- "Morgan Beats Virginia State: Wins Negro Grid Championship With 6-0 Victory". The Baltimore Sun. November 29, 1946. p. 17 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Morgan Trounces Delaware State". The Baltimore Sun. October 6, 1946. p. Sports 3 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Morgan State Wins By 13-12". The Baltimore Sun. October 13, 1946. p. Sports 6 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Morgan Gridders Host To Grambling College". The Baltimore Sun. October 19, 1946. p. 12 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Morgan Gridders Trim Lincoln Eleven, 28-0". The Baltimore Sun. October 27, 1946. p. Sports 3 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Morgan Grid Team Beats Bluefield". The Baltimore Sun. November 10, 1946 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Morgan State Tops Hampton". The Baltimore Sun. November 14, 1946. p. Sports 4 – via Newspapers.com.