This article needs to be updated.(December 2020)
|Member of the Florida House of Representatives|
from the 4th district
November 8, 2016 – November 3, 2020
|Preceded by||Matt Gaetz|
|Succeeded by||Patt Maney|
|Mayor of Destin, Florida|
|Preceded by||Sam Seevers|
|Succeeded by||Scott Fischer|
|Born||May 28, 1968|
|Alma mater||Florida State University|
Ponder previously served as the mayor of Destin, Florida from 2014 to 2016. On August 30, 2016, Ponder won a close and contentious five-way primary to become the Republican nominee to represent District 4 in the Florida House of Representatives. Ponder was elected unopposed in the November general election. He succeeded state representative Matt Gaetz, who was elected to the Florida 1st District U.S. House seat.
- Derby, Kevin (August 3, 2015). "Destin Mayor Mel Ponder Runs for Matt Gaetz's Florida House Seat". Sunshine State News. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- Judnich, Tony (November 8, 2016). "Republicans win big in state legislature". Northwest Florida Daily News. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- McLaughlin, Tom (August 30, 2016). "Ponder Holds on for House District 4 Seat". Northwest Florida Daily News. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Florida 4th District State House Results: Mel Ponder Wins". The New York Times. December 13, 2016. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- Official website
- City of Destin - Mayor Mel Ponder at the Wayback Machine (archived December 22, 2015)