Brookline Student Turns Movie Night Into A 365-Day COVID-19 Escape

Brookline Student Turns Movie Night Into A 365-Day COVID-19 Escape

By Kimberly Houghton Union Leader Correspondent

Desperate to escape quarantine boredom, a freshman at Southern New Hampshire University decided she would live vicariously through various actors this past year.

It started by watching the movie “Glass” on March 13, 2020 — the first day of what would become a daily tradition for Maria Toupin, 19, of Brookline.

For the following 365 days, Toupin watched a movie each day in an effort to combat quarantine fatigue and dream of more normal days ahead.

“I had no idea it would actually be an entire year,” said the 2020 graduate of Hollis-Brookline High School. “I think it was first announced as maybe a couple of days or a week or two off from school, and then it moved to April vacation. It was a long time.”

Toupin said the cinematic escape helped her decompress after hours of remote learning and a lack of social interaction with her friends and extended family.

After realizing that her daily movie-a-thons would be going on way longer than originally anticipated, she decided to keep track of the movie titles, categorize them and rate them on a massive whiteboard.

“These movies have helped me de-stress. It has been so stressful having to stay home and still get so much schoolwork done without being on campus,” said Toupin.

Some of her favorite movies throughout the past year have been Disney classics such as “Toy Story” and “Frozen,” as well as other movie treasures including “Spider-Man” and “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.” “Hidden Figures” was one of her favorites, along with all of the Marvel movies, she said.

“I definitely enjoy kid movies, especially Disney animations,” said Toupin.

She has been home quarantining for most of the past 12 months because of COVID-19, and her family has been extra cautious since Toupin’s grandmother moved in with them last summer.

“I am pretty much at home,” said Toupin, a mechanical engineering student at Southern New Hampshire University. “They are planning to open my college in the fall, and I am counting down the days.”

Toupin ended up watching 365 movies in 365 days and decided to put an end to her daily tradition on March 13 of this year.

“Whenever we wanted to watch movies as a family, Maria became our in-house critic and adviser, patiently going through what she watched and telling us who would like that,” said her mother, Laurie Toupin.

The elder Toupin said the movie-a-day initiative has kept depression at bay for her daughter. Her other children have also enjoyed the screen-time project.

While everyone is coping differently with the pandemic, the Toupins say the movie escape was a nice alternative and kept them busy.

“Maria’s passion for watching such a wide range of films, and not minding if she sees them again, helps keep our movie time pleasantly free of rotten tomatoes,” joked Laurie Toupin. “Every family needs such a movie buff.”

Some of her top picks from the past year include “Big,” “Wonder Woman,” “Tangled,” “The Book of Life,” “Long Shot” and “Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium.”


Original story is here.

Master Patrol Officer Lucas Ilges has been selected as the 2020 Employee of the Year

Master Patrol Officer Lucas Ilges has been selected as the 2020 Employee of the Year

We are pleased to announce that Master Patrol Officer Lucas Ilges has been selected as the 2020 Employee of the Year. MPO Ilges' eligibility for this award is a result of his past selection as the Employee of the Quarter (1st Quarter – January 1, 2020 through March 31, 2020). Moreover, this is an award that is provided by MPO Ilges' colleagues to the agency member who they believe contributed the most to the success of the Hollis Police Department during the 2020 calendar year.
Over the course of the year, which was certainly a challenging one, MPO Ilges has established himself as a peer leader and mentor among the patrol officers. Aside from being consistently nominated for quarterly recognition, MPO Ilges provided valuable training as a Field Training Officer (FTO). He has trained our last 4 new officers as an FTO, which is one of the most important functions within our agency, that being the role of a Field Training Officer. MPO Ilges is also a hard worker who offers the same tenacity in patrol on each shift he works, regardless of distractions and other obligations he might have. He also continues to maintain excellent relationships with his supervisors, the administration, and members of this community. Although MPO Ilges is seldom the loudest voice in the room, his proactive policing and dedication to duty speaks volumes about who he is a person and as a leader.
We value and appreciate MPO Ilges longtime association with the CHaD Law Enforcement Baseball Team, and despite formal cancellation of their annual baseball game (2020), he still joined with a number of other teammates to continue an informal fundraiser for the Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth. From our perspective, MPO Ilges only has one glaring weakness and that is that he has never seen any of the movies we often reference in the building on a daily basis! I guess that just means we are getting really old!
In closing, the Hollis Police Department and the residents of Hollis are fortunate to have a quiet professional police officer like Lucas serving this safe and thriving community, and it is our hope that we find many more opportunities to recognize and congratulate Officer Ilges in the future.
MPO Ilges - please continue to inspire each of us with the high standards that you live by and exemplify both personally and professionally, and know that we are all grateful for your selfless service to the Hollis Police Department, the Town of Hollis, and the members of this wonderful community.
Neil Stone Student Gets 7th-Degree Black Belt

Neil Stone Student Gets 7th-Degree Black Belt

By George Pelletier, Telegraph Bureau Chief

HOLLIS – Nathan Harker of Nashua, has been promoted to Sichidan, 7th degree black belt at Neil Stone’s Karate Academy, 22 Proctor Hill Road.

Harker has been studying Uechi Ryu karate since he was five years old and has been a student of Stone’s for 30 years last month. Harker’s passion began after his mother was told by a doctor that he might be a hyperactive kid.

“My mom refused to put me on medication,” Harker said. “She wanted a different way to channel my energy. And the doctor recommended sports and she thought the only sport that would teach me self-control at the same time was martial arts.”

It was a shame, Harker joked, because he grew up during the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle phase but has no great story about being inspired by that.

“I was just one of the kids who didn’t wasn’t to be put on Ritalin, I guess,” he said. “That’s how I got into it.”

Harker said that karate provided him with a sense of home as his parents had split up. His best friend was also a martial arts student, so he had someone with which to share a common interest.

“It started out that I felt really comfortable at the karate studio,” Harker explained.

of home as his parents had split up.

“I had good friends there,” he said. “And being raised by a single mom, Mr. Stone transformed from being an instructor and a Sensei to being a father figure who was helping me through all those life challenges in school. By the time I got into college and beyond, it’s became of part of who I am.”

Wishing to continue his practice, Harker said he felt a sense of responsibility and obligation to ensure that other students got the same thing that he got out of karate.

“I wanted kids to have a place to go, like I did,” he said. “I wanted to provide some kind of mentoring to students and offer them an outpost where they could reach out to someone.”

Harker said he owes everything in terms of who he is today, to the Boy Scouts and to the martial arts.

“I was essentially raised by those two organizations,” he said. “The biggest thing with karate that I feel has helped me is that growing up, I fought through a speech impediment and various learning disabilities. And karate forced me in its way, to be comfortable in my own skin in front of large groups of people who are from a variety of backgrounds.”

Harker said that both practice and working for Stone as an instructor gave him a confidence.

“Mr. Stone got me comfortable in that position,” he said. “And because of that, I feel that I found this innate love for training and that sent me on my career path.”

As a trainer and the head of learning development for a biomanufacturing site, Harker said he doesn’t know anything about biomanufacturing or engineering, but karate gave him that confidence to stand in front of people and train them on different topics.

“I never learned that in college,” he said. “There were no classes on that. So I credit karate 100 percent for giving me that passion for training and helping people and being able to stand in front of a large audience with confidence.”

Harker has gone through several levels in accomplishing each degree in black belt training. There are ten degrees in total.

“With each rank in the black belt, after the third degree of black belt, you’re developing your character more than your techniques. I have not learned a new form in many years. What you’re doing is showing your growth and development and commitment to the other students and to the style of martial arts that dictates your eligibility and if you really deserve to hold one of the higher master ranks.”

Going from level to level varies; first to second degree might take two years and with each level, the amount of time required increases exponentially. Harker said once you’re at the sixth- or seventh-degree level, it could take ten years to move up to the next rank. He added that he will continue his training and hopes to achieve another level.

“My fate is in Mr. Stone’s hands,” he said. “I hope I continue to grow. I will never achieve a rank higher than my Sensei, so I’ll always be one below Mr. Stone. But hopefully, I’ll be able to achieve the highest ranks under his tutelage until the day that he determines he will no longer be a Sensei.”

Throughout his years of vigorous training, Harker said he has genuinely enjoyed his karate studies.

“I love it,” he said. “Between taking classes and working for him, I’m spending 20 hours a week on the dojo or on my karate. I truly believe at this point that I want to make sure people have a home at karate and specifically with Mr. Stone.”

Said Stone of Harker, “Nathan lives and breathes the Student Creed. His commitment to his martial arts training mirrors his devotion to his family, friends and colleagues.”

Original story is here.
Officer Nicholas Collishaw Selected as the HPD Employee of the Quarter - 4th Quarter 2021

Officer Nicholas Collishaw Selected as the HPD Employee of the Quarter - 4th Quarter 2021

So although we are a little late in posting this, it gives us great pleasure to announce that Officer Nicholas Collishaw has been selected as the Hollis Police Department Employee of the Quarter, for the 4th Quarter of 2020 (October 1st through December 31st).

Although Nick spent most of 2020 serving a deployment in the United States Army, upon his return to duty in September, he almost immediately got up to speed with training, policy updates, and other administrative responsibilities.  He resumed his duties with enthusiasm and a cheerful demeanor. 

During a department meeting in December regarding employee resiliency and wellness, Nick meaningfully participated with stark honesty seldom seen within the typical culture of police departments.  This makes his cheerful demeanor and cooperativeness even more impressive. 

Nick has also embraced new responsibilities within the day-to-day management of the Hollis Police Department Evidence/Property Room.  More specifically, Nick began a project to purge stale evidence and property, and also to maximize the available space within the storage areas.   As any executive level law enforcement official will tell you, property and evidence management are associated with some of the highest risks for an agency.  Nick’s efforts at properly purging and accounting for property and evidence maintained within our facility is a critical function for this agency and helps us maintain the highest standards and measures of accountability.  

I also wanted to mention that despite some personal challenges Nick faced in 2020, he has continued to bring positive energy and a positive mental attitude to the workplace while performing his duties in a highly professional manner.  Most importantly, however, is the fact that Nick consistently treats his peers and members of the public with respect at all times, which is appreciated and does not go unnoticed. 

For this, and many other reasons, I am proud to recognize Officer Nicholas Collishaw as the Employee of the Quarter.  His continued professionalism, dedication to duty, and contributions to our agency and the Hollis community reflect great credit upon himself, the Hollis Police Department, and the policing profession as a whole.  Nick - you should also take immense pride in knowing that you were nominated for this recognition by a number of your colleagues.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU DO Nicholas and please know how very proud we all are of you!


 Original story on HPD website
Hollis' Grace Dunham Awarded the Boston Post Cane

Hollis' Grace Dunham Awarded the Boston Post Cane

By Bob Heyer
On Thursday afternoon at the Lawrence Barn, The Boston Post Cane was presented to "Amazing Grace" I. Dunham by the Town of Hollis with her family present. Grace just celebrated her 100th birthday on December 14, 2020.
The Boston Post Cane is a straight stick with a gold crown, inscribed as follows: “The Boston Post to the oldest citizen of Hollis, NH to be transmitted.” - Hollis, NH - 2/25/21

Grace Dunham is surrounded by family at the presentation ceremony at the Lawrence Barn on Thursday afternoon. Photo by Bob Heyer

Hollis Selectboard member David Petry read the proclamation awarding the Boston Post Cane to Grace Dunham. Photo by Bob Heyer

The proclamation, signed by the Hollis Selectboard members, was read by David Petry as follows:

WHEREAS Grace Irene Dunham was born in 1920 in Lowell, MA; and

WHEREAS while working at Remington Arms in Lowell as a Government Inspector of ammunitions, she met her husband, Abraham Lincoln Dunham. They married on Dec. 18, 1943. One year later they welcomed a daughter, Donna Lee; and

WHEREAS in 1957 Grace and Abe welcomed another daughter, Sherry. In 1960 Grace said “Life Begins at 40!” when she purchased her own horse; and

WHEREAS in 1963 the family moved to Dunstable to their dream home “Crooked Spring Ranch”; and

WHEREAS in 1967 she began a 4-H Horse Club naming it the “Dunstable Dusty Dudes”; and

WHEREAS in 1978 Grace and her husband moved to NH. They had lived in Nashua and Milford before moving to Hollis 17 years ago; and

WHEREAS Grace became a member of the Hollis Congregational Church, The Hollis Happy Hookers and, of course, the Hollis Seniors; and

WHEREAS Grace never missed her grandchildren’s activities, including plays, baseball, basketball, or football games. She and her husband, Abe, received recognition from the Bennington Little League for being the most faithful fans and avid supporters.

NOW THEREFORE, We, the Select Board of the Town of Hollis, New Hampshire, do hereby express our heartfelt congratulations to GRACE IRENE DUNHAM for being the Boston Post Cane recipient for the Town of Hollis, New Hampshire.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, We have here unto set our hands and caused the seal of the Town of Hollis to be affixed this 25th day of February of the year of our Lord Two Thousand Twenty One.

Author With Hollis Ties Pens Second Book

Author With Hollis Ties Pens Second Book

In early March 2018 Mike Beebe had a near-fatal “widow-maker” heart attack. Fortunately, impeccable timing intervened.  Beebe called 911, the EMTs soon arrived to administer life-saving drugs, and he was taken by ambulance to Southern NH Medical Center in Nashua, NH, where a stent was inserted into a blocked heart artery.  Following that, numerous compassionate healthcare professionals began the process of supporting Beebe in returning to health.

Shortly after leaving the hospital ICU, Beebe began overhauling his lifestyle, which included daily journaling that in time morphed into the book, “Back From the Edge”.  This “been there, done that” story is based on the many years of the author’s various experiences as a psychotherapist, volunteer first responder, and a close-to-nature lifestyle.  Choices have consequences so, among other things, Beebe changed his relationship with food and stress.  Thus, at age 79, he’s back living his active lifestyle, skiing and kayaking, each sixty-plus times annually.

Beebe grew up in Hollis, NH on Richardson Road as a fourth generation of the Beebe family.  His parents, Lucie and Charlie Beebe, were movers and shakers in town.   Lucie was deeply involved in Hollis town life, including the Historical Society and the Colonial Garden Club.  Both Beebes were ski pioneers who established the Hollis Hof ski area for cross-country touring.  The family also enjoyed an almost 50-year history owning Temple Mountain ski area in Peterborough, as detailed in Beebe’s first book, “My Cathedral, Temple Mountain”.   

“Back From the Edge” is available at Toadstool Book Stores, from the author via, and through Kindle-Direct (Amazon).  When Covid risks subside, Beebe will be available for book signings and speaking engagements. 

Mr. Philip Boston of Raby Town

Mr. Philip Boston of Raby Town

In 1790, before the town changed its name from Raby to Brookline, Philip Boston and his family were among its 338 inhabitants. That’s according the the first federal census. He is listed in the census under the category of “all other free persons” rather than as a “free white male.” Brookline’s first town historian, Edward Parker, wrote that as of about 1913 the cellar hole from Boston’s home could still be found in a small clearing known locally as “The Boston Place,” a quarter of a mile west of Old Milford Road. Parker noted that Mr. Boston was African American. We now know that Mr. Boston was also a Revolutionary War veteran. The records on his service are conflicting. According to G. A. Knoblock’s book, “Strong and Brave Fellows,” there were two African American men originally from Massachusetts named Philip Boston who served in the War of Independence, one of whom lived in Brookline (Raby) after the war. It is unclear which one. One man was from Holden, MA and served from 10/31/1777 to his discharge on 12/31/1779. He was at Valley Forge during the terrible winter of 1777 - 1778. The other Philip Boston was from Carlisle, MA. He enlisted on 7/6/1781. His discharge date is not mentioned but he served with the Massachusetts Militia. The federal census of 1800 makes no mention Mr. Boston or his family. The subsequent story of the patriot Philip Boston is not known.
US Rep. Torres To Be Featured Speaker At NHYD ‘Granite Slate Awards’ Event

US Rep. Torres To Be Featured Speaker At NHYD ‘Granite Slate Awards’ Event

Former Sen. Levesque to be named 'Honorary Young Dem of Year'

John DiStaso , WMUR | Feb 4, 2021

Bottom of Form

GRANITE SLATE AWARDS. The New Hampshire Young Democrats will honor former state Sen. Melanie Levesque and hear from featured speaker U.S. Rep. Ritchie Torres, a freshman lawmaker from the Bronx, New York, during its 14th annual Granite Slate Awards event Feb. 18.

The event has traditionally been held in person and has attracted potential and announced presidential candidates. This year, with the pandemic still restricting such events, it will be held via Zoom.

Torres, 32, a former New York City councilor, became the first openly gay Afro Latino elected to Congress in November. Previously, in July, he authored an opinion piece in the Washington Post.

He was only 25-years-old when he was elected to the city council in 2013, becoming the youngest elected official in the nation’s largest city and the first openly LGBTQ elected official from the Bronx.

He is currently a co-chair of former presidential candidate Andrew Yang's mayoral campaign in New York City.

Levesque will be honored as the 2021 Honorary Young Democrat of the Year.

She became the first Black person elected to the New Hampshire state Senate in 2018 but lost her reelection bid last year.

In the 2019-2020 legislative session, Levesque chaired the Senate Election Law and Municipal Affairs Committee, sponsoring several pieces of legislation described as promoting voting rights.

She is an advocate of permanent no-excuse absentee voting and automatic and online voter registration.

“Melanie was one of the leading fighters against discriminatory voter suppression laws that would have disproportionately disenfranchised student voters in New Hampshire,” the Young Democrats said.


Original story is here and  here.

Brookline Police Sergent Doug Barnett Recognized for Service

Brookline Police Sergent Doug Barnett Recognized for Service

Brookline Police Chief Biill Quigley recently presented Sergeant Doug Barnett with a Certificate of Recognition marking 20 years with the Brookline Police Department. Members of the BPD and citizens of the community offered Sergeant Barnett congratulations and appreciation for his dedicated service to the community.
Hassan Nominates 35 New Hampshire Students For United States Service Academies

Hassan Nominates 35 New Hampshire Students For United States Service Academies

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Maggie Hassan announced today that she has nominated 35 New Hampshire students to attend United States Service Academies – the U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, U.S. Military Academy, and U.S. Naval Academy.

“Every year, I have the honor to nominate exemplary Granite Staters who have made the selfless decision to serve and help keep our country safe, secure, and free,” Senator Hassan said. “I was particularly impressed that amid the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s class continued to stay on top of their studies and persevered through unprecedented challenges. As they continue their training and their education, I wish them all the best in their future endeavors and am deeply grateful for their interest in serving our country.”

See below for the full list of Senator Hassan’s nominees.



Aaron Cady (Barrington)

Mitchel Francoeur (Bedford)

Samuel Humphreys (Kingston)

Ayla McKean (Deerfield)

Evan Piette (Littleton)

Joseph Connor Reed (Bow)

Finnian Smith (Manchester)

Jessica Thibodeau (Windham)

Luca Valenti (Salem)

Matthew Veneri (Londonderry)



Robert Cariello (Londonderry)

Maeve Jackson (Merrimack)

Elizabeth Knapp (Mont Vernon)

Evan Piette (Littleton)

Riley Quinn (Exeter)

Rohan Rai (Windham)

Aaron Roche (Nashua)

Gus Schoenbucher (New Durham)

Finnian Smith (Manchester)



Robert Cariello (Londonderry)

Matthew Flanagan (Bedford)

Abigail Henry (Newmarket)

Jonathan Li (Hanover)

Thayer Maughan (Hopkinton)

Chase McAllister (Bedford)

Max Paganini (Sanbornton)

Wesley Rennie (North Hampton)

Nathaniel Sartell (Brookline)

Eaton Tarbell (Concord)



Isaac Abbott (Allenstown)

Joseph Camuso (Portsmouth)

Hunter Daris (Fitzwilliam)

Taylor Hough (Laconia)

Maeve Jackson (Merrimack)

Sophia Leonard (Manchester)

Joseph Lupo (Bedford)

Liam Novak (Nashua)

Katelyn Pepin (Manchester)

Rohan Rai (Windham)


Original story is here.

Karen Lawton Named HPD Employee of the Quarter

Karen Lawton Named HPD Employee of the Quarter

As Chief of Police, it gives me great pleasure to announce that Administrative Assistant Karen Lawton has been selected as the Hollis Police Department Employee of the Quarter, for the 3rd quarter of 2020 (July 1st through September 30th). In October 2018, I was delighted to offer employment to Karen as a member of the Hollis Police Department. Although Karen and I worked together in a different capacity for the Hudson Police Department, I knew she was a person of sound work ethic and someone who performed their duties with professionalism, dedication, and in accordance with the highest standards. Almost immediately, Karen became a trusted and valued member of our team of incredible public servants. She is a consummate professional and a dedicated, hardworking, and reliable employee. She does so much, often times outside the view of many, to keep this agency functioning. Whether she is managing her daily tasks as an Administrative Assistant, or dealing with the multitude of other tasks dumped on her desk each and every day, she approaches her job and responsibilities with grace and optimism. Moreover, she is always willing to go above and beyond for any of our team members, and her positive attitude and kindness is infectious. Karen has certainly added so much to our agency, and we should and can all feel fortunate to have her as a member of our team. For this, and many other reasons, I am proud to recognize Administrative Assistant Karen Lawton as the Employee of the Quarter. Karen’s continued professionalism, dedication to duty, and contributions to our agency and the Hollis community reflect great credit upon herself and the Hollis Police Department as a whole. Karen can and should also take immense pride in knowing that she was nominated for this recognition by three different employees. Karen, I THANK YOU, from me and so many others! Very Respectfully, Joseph R. Hoebeke Chief of Police
Congratulations to Hollis Teen William Bird! Winner of EVERFI Scholarship

Congratulations to Hollis Teen William Bird! Winner of EVERFI Scholarship

EVERFI, Inc., the leading social impact education innovator, announced the winners of the academic scholarships from the first annual National Financial Literacy Bee. Hosted by EVERFI, and sponsored by a number of leading financial institutions, the National Financial Literacy Bee was designed to teach real-world financial education skills in a fun and engaging manner to students across the country who are social distancing at home during the extended school closures. 

The nationwide initiative, which coincided with Financial Literacy Month and ran from April 20-24, drew nearly 40,000 participants, with almost 2,800 students submitting an optional capstone essay in an effort to win an academic scholarship.

The first-of-its-kind interactive digital learning challenge enabled students in grades seven through 10 to learn about important financial literacy concepts that often do not get enough classroom time during the traditional school year. The National Financial Literacy Bee covered topics ranging from budgeting and saving to employment and income, investing, and insurance. 

The National Financial Literacy Bee consisted of a five-part course and an essay contest where students wrote about their financial dreams and how they plan to achieve them. Winners of the National Financial Literacy Bee were selected by EVERFI and received a total of $20,000 in college scholarships.  The first-place essay contest winner was William Bird, 16 years old from Hollis Brookline High School in Hollis, NH who received $10,000 in scholarship funds, followed by second and third place winners Karisse Chisholm, 15 years old from Abraham Lincoln High School in San Jose, CA, and Morgan D. Stanley, 16 years old from Greenwood High School in Greenwood, MS, each winning $6,000 and $4,000 in college scholarship funds respectively. The winning essays described aspirations of starting a new clothing brand, establishing an orchestra and exposing underprivileged youth to new musical instruments, and building a family legacy of college graduates to ensure long-term financial stability. 

(William’s essay was about launching his fashion brand, but an offshoot is that he bought gear to print shirts and he is doing logo design, image conversion, and business card design. If you want to help a talented, artistic local teen fund his college education and can use these services, you can contact him at

“With more than 124,000 nationwide school closures and more than 55 million students learning from home, families across the country are faced with unprecedented uncertainty and the need for financial literacy has become more important than ever,” said Ray Martinez, founder, and president, EVERFI. “We are grateful for our ability to support students and families in building their financial capabilities and thankful to work with the many financial institutions whose commitment to increasing students’ financial literacy made this endeavor possible.”

The inaugural EVERFI National Financial Literacy Bee was launched with the support of a number of leading financial institutions and included signature sponsors: Digital Federal Credit Union, First Republic Bank, Iowa Insurance Division, and TIAA Bank. To learn more about the National Financial Literacy Bee, visit

Original article is here.
Memorial For Sid Hall, Sr. by John Weidman

Memorial For Sid Hall, Sr. by John Weidman

When Sid Hall, Sr. passed away, his wife asked John Weidman to create a memorial to Sid. It is now placed at the Richard Maghakian Memorial Elementary School in Brookline. Sid did a lot of work for the elementary school and the children. That is the reason for the memorial to Sid being on the playground at the school.

Years later John took some people there to see it and John asked if any children had ever fallen off of it or were hurt while playing. The then principal, Mrs. Maghakian, told him, “not a one.”
The children have climbed on it so much it is now somewhat polished. The kids love it and go through the alphabet that is carved on it. They find their names, and things like that.  John Weidman said, “It represents the mission of the alphabet, which includes everything in our communication methods. To me it spelled Sid’s personality.”
Photo by Nancy Reinbold
George’s Ashtray That Never Was.  A World War Ii Veteran’s Story

George’s Ashtray That Never Was. A World War Ii Veteran’s Story

As told by George Farwell to Nancy C. Reinbold in March 2015
It was 1944, and WW II. George graduated from Milford High School in June, at the age of seventeen. His father refused to sign for him to enlist. When George turned 18 on November 25, no longer needing his father’s permission, he enlisted in the US Navy. He began active duty on December 1.

After basic training on Lake Geneva in Sampson, New York, George enrolled in the High Speed Gas and Diesel Engineer School in Gulfport, Mississippi. From there he was transferred to the USS Fallon, a troop carrier, and was on his way to the South Pacific. Imagine what it must have been like for George, born and raised in Brookline, NH, to suddenly find himself on a troop ship, headed for the war zone.

During his time in the Navy, aboard the USS Fallon, the plans for invading Japan had changed to an occupation. The USS Fallon was to deliver troops to Sasebo, Japan for the occupation. George remembers everyone on the ship being at full battle station upon entering the port. It was an anxious time for all. Peace had been declared, but pockets of Japanese were still fighting. The port at Sasebo was surrounded on three sides by mountains, potential hiding places for ambushers. All was quiet, the ship docked, and the troops disembarked for the occupation. Eventually the crew was allowed on shore.

George remembers walking along the dock. It was piled four feet high with empty shell casings, swords and other weapons surrendered by the Japanese. On the return to the ship George found a 5” shell casing left in the pile of debris. He carried it onboard and headed to the machine shop. He cut the bottom section off, with the intention of making an ashtray. Sometime later, he cut the base from a 50-caliber casing to stand in the center of the 5” shell casing. George drilled a hole in the center of the 50 caliber, armor-piercing bullet, creating the thread for a brass screw. This was used to attach George’s creation of a model P 38 airplane. Why the P 38? That was George’s favorite plane, one he would have loved to pilot. He was too tall to be a pilot.

For the fuselage and cockpit, he used 50 and 30 caliber bullets. In the machine shop on board, he found sheet brass, which he used to construct the wings and tail pieces.

In 1946, this beautiful work of art was embellished in Shanghai. A Chinese sculptor George met in the streets of the city, etched dragons and suns around the base, and a star on each wing. George doesn’t remember what he paid the artist, but thinks it was most likely with cigarettes. Two packs, five cents each.

As George was disembarking the ship for the last time, his captain offered to buy the ashtray for fifty dollars. The offer was turned down.

George dismantled his ashtray, wrapping the pieces in clothing, making it easier to carry safely in his sea bag. He was transferred to a Merchant Marine vessel and was headed home. This trip took George through the Panama Canal, the Caribbean, and finally to the Chesapeake Bay. George and his ashtray were headed home to Brookline, where he reassembled the ashtray.

To this day, no part of any smoking material has ever found its way to the ashtray.

Local Musician Honors Family With Song, ‘Abuelo’

Local Musician Honors Family With Song, ‘Abuelo’

By George Pelletier - Telegraph, Milford Bureau Chief | Oct 24, 2020

HOLLIS – Local musician and Berklee School of Music graduate Fredy Guzman lost his grandfather in late August and decided to pay homage to him with his new single, “Abuelo” (“grandfather” in Spanish).

Originally from Lima, Peru, Guzman moved with his family to Hollis in 2002. Two months ago, the singer, guitarist and composer relocated back to the area after spending time in his native land.

“I’ll be moving in the next couple of months,” he said. “Either to New York or New Jersey.”

Guzman was accepted to Berklee at the early age of 17 and graduated when he was 21. There he studied jazz composition, but for the last five years, he was traveling through the Andes Mountains in South America.

“I was studying the music from my country,” he shared. “My grandparents, all four of them, are from the Andes. So after graduating and spending time between New York City and Boston, I realized how important it is to go deep into your roots.”

After seeing a concert by Grammy-winning guitarist and vocalist Lionel Loueke, who hails from Benin, Africa, Guzman developed a friendship with the artist and it was Loueke who produced one of his albums.

“He had a lot of African influence in his playing,” Guzman said. “He sings in his native language. I was impressed, so I thought I would do that with my roots, with Andean music. I to traveled festival celebrations that last one-week long, with more than 12 hours of music every day. It was intense.”

Guzman released his second album containing Peruvian music, titled, “Ay Vida.”

“Before my trip, I was mostly jazz and blues,” he said. “Really, the blues came first. That and the Andean music.”

As a high school student at Hollis Brookline, Guzman was a huge fan of the Allman Brothers Band and was heavily influenced by their music and their style of southern rock.

“I saw them more than 20 times,” he said. “In the song, ‘Abuelo,’ you can hear that influence when play a slide guitar solo.”

Guzman’s other musical influences include classical (Beethoven and Ravel), as well as pop artists like Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran and opera singer Andrea Bocelli.

A video for “Abuelo” was filmed in Hollis and was a Guzman family affair. Most of the video was filmed in the apple orchards next to Silver Lake Road; the waterfalls during the chorus of “Abuelo,” are from Venezuela.

“It is a tribute to my grandfather, Ramiro,” he said. “He just passed away and I was able to sing this song to him during his final days. My brother filmed the video, my stepfather flew the drone. And I directed and edited the video and it was done here where I grew up.”

Guzman’s first CD, “Waijazz,” is a fusion of jazz and Peruvian music and is available, as is “Abuelo,” on iTunes and other music platforms.

“It combines the music styling of Huayno and jazz,” he clarified. “In Peru, the album was received by people who really enjoy international music. There is a big population in Peru who only like traditional music – that’s to say, music from the Andes that is traditionally played.”

It was after making “Waijazz” that Guzman decided that if he wanted to spread his music in South America, he would have to be traditional.

“They’re a little close-minded there,” he said. “The album actually was on Spanish national TV. I have a video clip of “Ojos Azules” which is the third track on the album.”

The album gave Guzman world exposure as he began inching his way back to the music of his country.

“Initially, I didn’t have high expectations,” he said. “People don’t know you. But it did well and I’m happy with the results. And obviously, I learned a lot of things.”

Getting to know his roots, and the kind of music that he wanted to compose and sing started to sink in for the young performer.

“I was getting to know the industry better, too,” he said. “And I was trying to get more organized. And now if I go to the Andes, especially the south of Peru, they call me, ‘Ay Vida’ or say ‘Hey, Ay Vida, how are you?'”

It’s become a major social movement, Guzman explains, as he works to elevate the self-esteem of Peruvian people.

“A lot of people feel ashamed of being indigenous,” he said. “They feel ashamed of speaking Quechua.”

Quechua is the second most common language and the most widely spoking native language, spoken by roughly 13 percent of the population, primarily in central and southern highland regions of Peru.

“With the second album, my goal was to raise that self-esteem and make people proud of where they come from,” Guzman said. “And I’m focusing on my vocals now because when I was at Berklee, my main instrument was guitar. But when I was traveling in the Andes, I realized that a lot of people sung naturally from an early age. So I said, ‘I should try this.'”

Guzman’s has several videos on YouTube, including “Abuelo.” For more information, visit

John Weidman, Brookline’s World-Renowned Master Sculptor

John Weidman, Brookline’s World-Renowned Master Sculptor

Interview by Nancy C. Reinbold, September 2020

John was 33 years old when he was invited to use a barn owned by Dick and Barbara Coon as a studio. It was in the ’70’s, and according to John, a very nice thing for the Coons to have done. His studio remained there until 2020. The Coon family were very kind people.

John met Sid Hall, Jr. and rented a room from him, which was close to his studio. During the ensuing years, John has contributed much to Brookline. John said, “that is because Brookline has contributed so much to me, is very accepting of me, and my occupation.”

The first commission for John came from the Church, now the Brookline Community Church. The steeple had been taken down and was in pieces when John first saw it. Betty and Sid Hall, Sr. were behind the project to restore it, a major project. John said that it helped him reach back to working with people. He had been alone for a long time. He worked with volunteers. “You don’t push volunteers, you request.” The experience gave John the opportunity to enjoy the talents and endeavors of many people.

Restoring the steeple was a real adventure because it dealt with a new structure and history. While about forty feet above ground, he did a lot of praying. He was working on limited scaffolding, securing the top piece with a cable in order to work at the top. “It was actually a lot of fun.” The Revere bell was in good condition, and John did not want to “mess with it.”
Brookline Community Church, Photo by Nancy Reinbold
 John and his wife, Nadiya, restored some of the windows which had been destroyed at the church. They replaced pieces of glass and painted them to fit the pattern. Nadiya has worked a lot with John at the various symposia he has attended around the world. “She is very talented. She was in one of the National Folkloric choruses in the Ukraine for seventeen years. She traveled to many countries around the world, giving performances. She has a beautiful voice. She never has a heated discussion. It just becomes a song.”

Mr. and Mrs. Garvin commissioned John to create the Hand with the Cross, now placed in the small park adjacent to the Church. They were parishioners. Mr. Garvin used to work for Sterilite, and various other business. As with the Coon family, John remembers them as very nice, wonderful people. The church committee asked John what he would do to commemorate 2000 years of Christianity. He went to them with his proposal, and other elements that are important to him. The fabric is “society,” the hands the “people,” and the cross the “vision of the people.” The three fingers represent the Trinity, the thumb “strength,” and the little finger “free will.” They accepted the proposal with enthusiasm.

Once again John was called to the church when the wooden handrails at the side entrance of the church were in need of repair or replacement. John restored them and installed some additional railing. The front entrance now has iron railings. “It was fun.” John frequently says “it was fun” when talking about the many works he has created around town.

Nadiya's Story - From Ukraine to Brookline

Nadiya's Story - From Ukraine to Brookline

As told to Betsy Small, Milford, NH Edited by Nancy Reinbold Nadiya Weidman grew up in a village in the Ukraine, where everyone had a farm, and everyone learned how to grow enough food to support the family. She describes this community as the kind of place where family friends support one another in everything that happens. "They loan you money if you have no savings, a temporary place to live if you have nowhere to go." As a young girl, Nadiya learned how to be self-sufficient and to enjoy life. "I had friends, a close family, performed Ukrainian folk songs in a singing group." She volunteered as a medic for the Soviet Republic of Ukraine without ever thinking that this experience might shape the rest of her life. "I was twenty-eight years old, single and living a full life.” In May1, 1986, Nadiya was woken up at 3 am. There had been an accident at Chernobyl, 70 miles away from the city where she lived. At 6 am that morning, she boarded a bus along with 200 other first responders, and with 150 emergency vehicles traveling behind them. "Everything was covert. The Soviet government had not announced anything yet, so no one was informed about what exactly had happened, nor did anyone take precautions to protect us. They provided us with a suits but nothing that could shield us from the radiation." Nadiya recounts the events of 31 years ago with a resigned acceptance. "We were supposed to clean up animals. We were brought to a forest to create a camp. It was cold nights and we gathering branches and grasses to put in under tents. Nobody informed us about radioactive dust that branches and grass collected. We spent two weeks in this camp. We had individual dosimeters but they were old and did not work correctly. We had no idea of the real dangers of our exposure." But after fourteen days, we were replaced with a new group. Some General from Moscow happens to come to this area, demanding to know what were the people doing there. In 24 hours second group was send back home. The government immediately provided her group opportunities to support healing, and vacation time, including a trip to Moscow along the Volga river, a popular international tourist destination and considered the 'life blood of Russia." There Nadiya met her husband John, a forty-five-year-old sculpture artist, traveling the Soviet Union. Two years later, Nadiya received a letter from John asking if they could meet. He had planned a visit to the Czech Republic for a project with friends. "Of course, I still didn't speak English, so I purchased an English language book and asked my friend, a teacher from Pedagogical University in Chernigiv, my city in Ukraine, if she could translate the letter and help me reply." From Czech Republic John traveled to Lithuania through Ukraine. He was invited by Lithuanian sculptor whom he had met at an International Sculpture Conference in Washington, DC. "It was 1991, the year Ukraine declared its independence. A friend told John not to go - it would be too dangerous. But he came anyway”. When John arrived in Ukraine, he invited Nadiya to join him. At the end of December they got married in Ukraine, and spent the next three months together in the Czech Republic. "I met his friends, and enjoyed the beautiful city of Prague." Nadiya and John's honeymoon continued while they traveled back and forth between the U.S. and Eastern Europe, collaborating with an extensive network of artists from around the world and attending exhibitions and sculpture symposiums. After some time, they chose to settle in Brookline, NH, where John and Paul Andres, the owner of a mountain in Brookline, began conceptualizing the Andres Institute of Art - a sculpture park lining forest trails with works contributed from artists around the world. From the beginning, Nadiya was involved with many aspects of the Andres Institute which her husband co-founded. She was and still is manager at the Mariposa Museum for over a decade, caring for the Mariposa’s large collection of artifacts from around the world, creating displays for exhibitions. Nadiya describes many differences between Ukrainians and Americans. "Back home, we were more interdependent, but of course, in America, you have freedom. You can start a business; you can create opportunities and move forward. No one here tells you what you can and cannot do in the same way." She also misses many of her old friends and, of course, her family, whom she now is in constant contact, thanks to modern technology.
Give Your Old Laptops and Tablets a New Life

Give Your Old Laptops and Tablets a New Life

If you have a used laptop or tablet you'd like to go to a child who can use it to do their school work, please drop it off at the United Way of Greater Nashua office at 20 Broad Street in Nashua any time between 11am and 3pm on weekdays this month.
Image may contain: people sitting, screen and laptop
Donated laptops and tablets should be able to connect to wifi and have a built in camera. These items will be wiped clean of any data and prepared to go out into the community by UW's team of tech repair volunteers.
Please help us spread the word by "sharing" this event!
Funny Money Has History in Brookline

Funny Money Has History in Brookline

Some enterprising merchant in Brookline appears to have issued his own currency to pay his debts. Pretty clever. Presumably it was a Mr. Tucker whose face appears on the bill. Does anyone recognize him or know at which business in town this bill can be redeemed? If anyone out there can shed some light on the story behind this Brookline curiosity, please share your findings. There is an easy-to-use “submit” feature for news and information at For that matter, if you or someone you know would like to tell our communities about a local business, organization or event, those submissions are welcome also. The motto of the Hollis Brookline Rotary Club’s online newsletter is “sharing information to create a better community.”
Remembering Karen Ann Anderson (Mayou)

Remembering Karen Ann Anderson (Mayou)

Karen Ann Anderson (Mayou), 59, of Wilton, NH, passed away on July 18, 2020 at St. Joseph’s Hospital Nashua, NH. She was born December 22, 1960 in Fort Benning, GA spending most of her years in Brookline, NH. She was a graduate of Hollis Brookline High School. She is survived by her mother, Ann Anderson; her two sisters, Susan Jambard, Leigh and husband John-Luc Metz; three nieces, Blake Jambard, Lindsey Jambard, and Hannah Metz, and one nephew Lucas Metz; two great nieces, Harper and Marlie, and a great nephew Quincy; and husband Charles Mayou. She is predeceased by her father, Carl Anderson Jr. Karen was a lifelong lover of the arts, following the Grateful Dead and the Rolling Stones. She was a talented artist who founded a unique and successful Batiking business, “Gringo Trail,” designing beautiful handmade attire. Karen was an avid traveler, exploring the world and having a special affinity for the Caribbean where she loved turquoise water, being kissed by the sun and having her toes in the sand. She brought her eclectic influence back home as one of the creators of The Melting Pot restaurant in Wilton, NH, where she filled the menu with incredible recipes influenced by her travels around the globe. Karen enjoyed her friends and family, being at home with her beloved kitties, and surrounding herself with gardens of beautiful flowers and bountiful veggies. She shared a very close bond with her father working alongside him at his store, The Color Shop, for decades. She loved her nieces and nephew, always being the adult sitting at the kids table or being in the center of the squirt gun battle. Karen was always up for having a good time! Her family and friends deeply mourn her passing and hope that everyone can remember the wonderful times and adventures they shared with Karen over the years.
Hollis Writer, Hinkley, Pens Children’s Book, ‘Bears in Windows’

Hollis Writer, Hinkley, Pens Children’s Book, ‘Bears in Windows’

By George Pelletier - Nashua Telegraph, Milford Bureau Chief | Aug 8, 2020

HOLLIS – The idea of putting stuffed bears in windows began as COVID-19 unfolded. The “Teddy Hunts” was a game that was being played around the world and across our country during the pandemic.

Author Cheryl Hinkley, a recent breast cancer survivor, stumbled upon the concept during a hike with her husband.

“I noticed one teddy bear on a mailbox,” she said. “And I thought, ‘I guess someone dropped their bear.’ And then a few houses down I saw another one, and then another and another. And I said, ‘What is with all the Teddy Bears?'”

Hinkley googled it, and learned of the global phenomenon, happening around the end of March as COVID-19 seeped into people’s lives and our culture.

“I had only been home from work for a couple of weeks then,” she recalled. “It took off really quickly. And that was the beginning of it.”

Hinkley thought the idea of putting bears in windows and such was a novel idea in more ways than one.

“My husband works for the elementary school,” she said. “It kind of became a thing.”

The notion of writing a book came to Hinkley a few weeks later.

“I saw more and more people putting them out,” she shared. “I had two or three or four in my own house. And I thought, ‘These kids have been home for a few weeks,’ not knowing how long the quarantine was going to last.

I didn’t know if it made sense for me to make a book out of this because, by the time I would get this finished, everything would be over.”

Hinkley sat down and outlined the book and over the next few days, she tweaked it some. Hinkley then spoke to her son’s girlfriend, who is a graphic designer.

“I asked her what she thought of the idea,” Hinkley said. “‘What do you think of illustrating this?’ I asked her and she said, ‘Let’s try it. What the heck.'”

The author figured they had nothing to lose, except a few dollars to publish the book themselves. The result is the book, “Bears in Windows.”

“It went from there,” Hinkley said. “I thought I would see what happens. And at this point, it had been six or eight weeks and now they were talking about closing schools and remote learning. And now my husband was telling me things from the elementary school side.”

Hinkley figured she would have time, until the books arrived in the mail and wondered how she would get the books sold.

“My daughter owns her own online company, so she was helping me set up a website and do Instagram and Facebook,” Hinkley said. “The website was really the best thing, getting that up and running and making it feel like me. And now I just started promoting through those ways.”

She took it upon herself to just start contacting folks, including The Telegraph and The Cabinet.

“It’s a children’s book,” she said. “It’s an encouragement. It’s local.”

Hinkley is pleased with the end result and that she has another book under her belt, one that was penned prior to her new book.

“Not having ever done this before, I was happy,” she said. “I actually had written another book, which is actually my first book. But it’s with a water colorist, so it’s a totally different style and feel. The pages are a lot fuller.”

The other book is about a hummingbird, which may take a little more time.

“It’s a hyper-hummingbird who has had too much sugar,” Hinkley said.

Hinkley has written a fair amount of poetry, which she draws from her faith. She doesn’t know if she’ll publish her poetry.

“I have toyed with my cancer story actually,” she said. “Having gone through breast cancer last year, there is some story in that, so I thought at some point, that maybe I would write something about that.”

Healthwise, Hinkley said she is feeling “awesome,” and has “finally got some hair back.”

“It was April of 2019 that I was diagnosed,” she explained. “I had the surgery in May and then had chemo through the end of the year and then radiation at the beginning of this year.”

Although she doesn’t have grandkids, Hinkley got the idea of putting a few books in the “Little Free Libraries” that are scattered throughout the area.

“I’ve started putting them in,” she said. “As I’ve seen a few of them, I’ve put a few in there. And I’ve given a copy to the local library. And when school starts, I’d like to get into a kindergarten or first grade class and read to them and go from there.”

For more information, visit
Hollis Man Brings Music Back To New Hampshire

Hollis Man Brings Music Back To New Hampshire

By George Pelletier – Nashua Telegraph, Milford Bureau Chief | Aug 8, 2020

HOLLIS – Musician Joe Birch is back in town.

After eight years of gigging in Florida, the Hollis native will be performing at Alpine Grove for an acoustic evening on Aug. 14.

“I just moved back here,” Birch said. “I used to play around here a lot. You could almost call this a return.”

Birch did come back to New Hampshire to play a gig or two during the summer months, when the heat index in the Sunshine State shoots mercury straight out of a thermometer.

When asked what brought him to Florida, Birch replied, “a woman.”

“She wanted to move down there, so we tried to make it work,” he explained. “The gigs were good and the tips were great. I could play a million tiki bars, so music-wise, it was pretty successful. And then COVID hit.”

Opportunities to play bars and restaurants quickly dried up and Birch had to rethink his plan.

“Since my relationship didn’t work out, I thought, ‘Why am I in the 100-degree heat?'” he shared. “The music had stopped. So, I decided to come back where I grew up. I figured this was the right time to make the move back and I’m happy I did. It feels great.”

A graduate of Hollis High School, Birch had his sights on music even before he was a teenager. 

“My dad bought me a guitar when I was ten,” he said. “And he took me to my first concerts, which were B.B. King and Eric Clapton. He always loved the blues.”

Birch’s dad had an impressive record collection, which he quickly discovered. And he learned he had a great knack for playing by ear.

“From then on, I loved that guitar,” he said. “I would run home from school just to get to that guitar and put the hours in, which I’m glad I did.”

With no cell phones or video games back then to distract, Birch dedicated much time to his music and playing songs by Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin.

“Hendrix was like having an epiphany,” he said. “I’m definitely into some of the greatest music and guitarists that ever played. It was that late ’60s, early ’70s era.”

Birch quickly went electric, with a new guitar from Hampshire Music.

“That was a cool place,” he said. “I wish I had taken pictures of the building back then. You’d go in there and there were these alleyways full of music instruments and equipment.”

Playing gigs now, Birch mixes songs that people know and love to hear. But he said they’re not necessarily the most predictable songs.

“I like to play the cooler, less-heard songs,” he said. “I’ll throw a couple of original tunes in, but 90 percent is good stuff that people remember. It kinds of brings them back. The nostalgic stuff really seems to work.”

Those songs were especially popular in Florida, with many retirees wanting to hear the songs that they grew up on.

Now Birch has a 13-year-old son who is getting into that same music as his dad did when he was that age.

“It think it’s great that young people are listening to classic rock,” he commented.

Birch did take a few guitar lessons for a couple of years, but he soon reached the point where if he heard a song, he could quickly replicate it.

“I could put a cassette in and once I got to the level where I developed my ‘ear,’ I could just put on a song and copy it. I’ve been that way ever since. Reading music kind of faded away a long time ago.”

Now that he’s back in the North East, Birch, who has only been here a month, said he hasn’t really sized up the music scene yet.

“I sort of took a little break,” he said. “I wanted to land on my feet and get settled. Alan and Michelle Archambault at Alpine Grove are friends, and said they were developing this music series. So, I decided to try one.”

Birch hopes to play more gigs and is entertaining the idea of getting a band together. He used to play at UNH and in the seacoast area, in Portsmouth, Durham and Newmarket.

During his high school years he was in the band, Coldfinger with fellow Hollis high graduates.

Musically, he likes the band Greta Van Fleet, who many audiophiles say sound like Robert Plant and Jimmy Page.

“They’re brothers,” he said. “They’re like 16 and some people were calling them ‘a young Zepplin.’ To me, that is really cool.”


Strong and Courageous: Adam Verrecchia

Strong and Courageous: Adam Verrecchia

Dear Friends and Community Members,

It is with a heavy heart, yet one uplifted by Christ’s promise of Resurrection, that I write with the news that 9-year old Adam Verrecchia of Hollis, whose entire family are a beloved part of the Congregational Church of Hollis family, died a little after 9:30am on Monday, August 3rd. His parents, Kim & Joel, brother Luke, and sister Josie, were all with him at home.

I feel that words are failing me just now, especially because Adam was such an extraordinary child. He truly loved to read and listen to the Bible every day—highly unusual for most human beings these days, and even more so for a young child. His favorite verse appears at the opening of the Book of Joshua and a plaque on his wall (see image below): “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9). I cannot come up with more perfect words than these to meet this moment.

A Memorial Service is being planned, to be attended in person by the family only, but we are making arrangements to stream it via Facebook Live or a similar platform. Further details will follow.

The Flowering Cross has been erected in front of the church to receive flowers and tributes for Adam and the family. And the Verrecchia family is establishing a fund at the church to construct a memorial garden area. This is separate from our active BOV/building project, but the hope and intention is to find a place somewhere on church property to create a peaceful place where many people will find comfort and strength as they spend time with God and the memories and spirit of loved ones in our community. If you would like to contribute to this fund, you may send donations to the Congregational Church of Hollis, U.C.C., with the words “Memorial Garden” in the memo line.

Adam touched and inspired countless lives, because the spirit and light of Christ burned brightly in him and invited others to love, appreciate, and care for others in the completely unselfish and joyful way he did. We give thanks for his life in our community, and now for his eternal life in the holy community of the Saints in Light.

Yours with faith, hope, and love,
Rev. Tanya Stormo Rasmussen
Clarence Farwell Reports for Duty at BHS

Clarence Farwell Reports for Duty at BHS

Much to the delight of the Brookline Historical Society Wednesday work party (Jim Pope, Bob Canada, David Fessenden and Peter Webb), Clarence Farwell reported for duty on July 8. Despite a recent hospitalization, Clarence was available to offer sage advice to the group, shown here carefully considering a proposed course of action. Welcome home, Clarence.
Bob Heyer Honored by VFW as 2019 Hollis Citizen of the Year

Bob Heyer Honored by VFW as 2019 Hollis Citizen of the Year

HOLLIS, NH - A special part of the annual Hollis Town Meeting is the VFW presentation of Citizen of the Year. Robert Heyer, Hollis town photographer, was presented this honor at the meeting on June 20, 2020. Andrew Seremeth, Commander, Post 11373 presented the certificate: "For meritorious and distinguished service in furthering the aims and ideals of Americanism and of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States through his photographic record of patriotic events and gatherings in and around the Town of Hollis, NH. Through his photography, the citizens of Hollis see the patriotic spirit of our community throughout the year and are proud that they live in such a community." Bob also received recognition from Governor Sununu, The NH Senate, and the NH General Court.
Remembering Thomas J. Lochhead, 1948 - 2020
  • Remembering Thomas J. Lochhead, 1948 - 2020
  • June 24, 2020
    Hollis woman on mission to show military veterans appreciation
  • Hollis woman on mission to show military veterans appreciation
  • June 15, 2020
    New Black Belts Awarded at Neil Stone's Karate Academy
  • New Black Belts Awarded at Neil Stone's Karate Academy
  • June 09, 2020
    School Resource Officer Richard Bergeron Recognized
  • School Resource Officer Richard Bergeron Recognized
  • June 04, 2020
    New Flag Pole Honors Dr. Vahrij Manoukian
  • New Flag Pole Honors Dr. Vahrij Manoukian
  • May 25, 2020
    Officer Megan McLynch Graduates from Southern New Hampshire University
  • Officer Megan McLynch Graduates from Southern New Hampshire University
  • May 15, 2020
    Remembering Rolf H. Bremer
  • Remembering Rolf H. Bremer
  • May 13, 2020
    75th Wedding Anniversary Celebrated!
  • 75th Wedding Anniversary Celebrated!
  • April 25, 2020
    Download the official Hollis Brookline News Online app