Falling Inn Love
|Falling Inn Love|
|Directed by||Roger Kumble|
|Edited by||Anita Brandt-Burgoyne|
|Music by||Edward Shearmur|
Falling Inn Love is a 2019 American romantic comedy film directed by Roger Kumble, an American film director, screenwriter, and playwright, from a screenplay by Elizabeth Hackett and Hilary Galanoy. It stars Christina Milian and Adam Demos. The film was released on August 29, 2019, by Netflix.
Gabriela Diaz's San Francisco design firm folds the week of her break-up with her non-committed boyfriend Dean. She enters a contest to "Win an Inn" in the New Zealand countryside and actually wins it. Thousands of airline miles later, she discovers The Bellbird Valley Farm boasts a crumbling facade, a floorboard-treading goat, a meddling neighbor who covets the space, and a 1960s Land Rover.
Gabriela is visited by Charlotte, the owner of the town's only B&B, who reveals that the previous owner's great-grandson entered the house in the "Win an Inn" contest to get rid of it.
Gabriela decides to do an eco-renovation to restore the Inn, and the plot revolves around tension, friendship and courtship with the nearby town's only restoration expert, Jake Taylor, a bereaved Kiwi contractor and chief volunteer firefighter.
With Gabriela and Jake completing the project as a 50-50 partnership, the story takes an interesting turn as once the final fixtures are hung, she's hesitant to leave him, the inn, and the inviting community that nurtured her creative side.
Dean shows up unexpectedly from the US after Charlotte invites him via text using Gabriela's phone. An attractive financial offer to buy the Inn is organized by Dean with a Melbourne investment company. This shocks Charlotte who planned to buy the Bellbird Valley Farm herself, thinking that Dean's sudden appearance would push Gabriela to sell the farm and return to her city life. However, after a fire at Charlotte's B&B and Jake's near-death experience, Gabriela decides to forsake her San Francisco life and remain in the community, running the Inn with Jake. The movie ends with a drone-shot sequence over the restored property.
- Christina Milian as Gabriela Diaz
- Adam Demos as Jake Taylor
- Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman as Dean Conner
- Anna Jullienne as Charlotte Wadsworth
- Claire Chitham as Shelley
- Blair Strang as Manaaki
- Jonathan Martin as Peter
- William Walker as Norman "Norm"
- Daniel Watterson as Chad
- Simone Walker as Sage
- Arlo MacDiarmid as Dr. Corey Harrison
The film was released on Netflix on August 29, 2019.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 67% based on 21 reviews, and an average rating of 5.7/10. The site's critics consensus reads, "Warm and welcoming, Falling Inn Love doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it will give those looking for a cozy new romantic comedy a nice place to lay their heads."
- N’Duka, Amanda (2019-02-13). "Christina Milian, Adam Demos To Topline 'Falling Inn Love' Netflix Movie". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2019-02-13.
- Davis, Arianna (August 31, 2019). "Falling Inn Love on Netflix Might Inspire You to Visit Its Charming Filming Location in New Zealand". The Oprah Magazine. Retrieved September 9, 2019.
- Christina Milian [@ChristinaMilian] (July 22, 2019). "Super excited to finally announce my new film FALLING INN LOVE will be released globally on Netflix August 29!!! @seewhatsnext @netflixfilm" (Tweet). Retrieved July 22, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Falling Inn Love (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved October 10, 2021.