Angel Maturino Resendiz - The Railroad Killer | Murder | Criminal Law
Está en la página 1de 11

Angel Maturino Resendiz: The Railroad Killer

BY Joseph Geringer

Terror Near Tracks

One of the more romantic elements of American folklore has been the crisscrossing rail system of this
country steel rails carrying Americans to new territories across desert and mountain, through wheat
fields and over great rivers. Carl Sandburg has flavored the mighty steam engine in elegant prose and
Arlo Guthrie has made the roundhouse a sturdy emblem of America's commerce.
But, even the most colorful dreams have their dark sides.
For nearly two years, a killer literally followed Wheatfield America's railroad tracks to slay
unsuspecting victims before disappearing back into the pre-lit dawn. His modus operandi was always
the same he struck near the rail lines he illegally rode, then stowed away on the next freight train to
come his way. Always ahead of the law.
Angel Maturino Resendiz, 39 years old, was apprehended early this month (July, 1999) after eluding
state police for two years and slipping through a two-month FBI net until, after nine alleged murders,
he was finally traced and captured by a determined Texas Ranger.
Known, for apparent reasons, as "The Railroad Killer," Angel Resendiz (who was known throughout
much of the manhunt by the alias Rafael Resendez-Ramirez) has been called "a man with a grudge,"
"confused," hostile" and "angry" by the police, the news media and psychiatrists. He is an illegal
immigrant from Mexico who crossed the international border at will. Most of his crimes took place in
central Texas, but he is suspected of having killed as far north as Kentucky and Illinois.

Mugshot of Angel
While he fits the mold of serial killers such as David Berkowitz and the Boston Strangler, Resendiz
killed more meditatively for something he needed: alcohol, drugs, a place to hide out, though usually
money. He raped, but "sex seemed almost secondary," according to former FBI profiler John Douglas.
Douglas calls Resendiz "just a bungling crook ...very disorganized," but one whose own
disorganization worked well for him. Because his trail was haphazard, because he himself didn't know
where he was heading next, this directionless, drifting form of operation kept Resendiz inadvertently
ever-the-more elusive. FBI special agent Don K. Clark says that the manhunt was complicated by the
fact that Resendiz had "no permanent address" while continuing to travel unchecked "throughout the
United States, Mexico and Canada."
While his travels might best be described as spontaneous, and his slayings as combustive, that is not to
say that the Railroad Killer didn't have his own particular signature. He pretty much followed a
routine. For one, the murders all occurred "in close proximity to train track locations," to quote Clark.

Late last month, in the heat of the intensive manhunt for the murderer, John Douglas described what
appeared to be the killer's simple but deadly agenda:
"When he hitches a ride on the freight train, he doesn't necessarily know where the train is going. But
when he gets off, having background as a burglar, he's able to scope out the area, do a little
surveillance, make sure he breaks into the right house where there won't be anyone to give him a run
for his money. He can enter a home complete with cutting glass and reaching in and undoing the locks.
"He'll look through the windows and see who's occupying it. The guy's only 5 foot-7, very small. In
fact...the early weapons were primarily blunt-force trauma weapons, weapons of opportunity found at
the scenes. He has to case them out, make sure he can put himself in a win-win situation."
Where he came from, what spurred his crime spree, what kind of man was Resendiz these will be
examined in the succeeding chapters. For now, let's pause to examine his list of victims.
The Killings
Following is a list of the nine serial murders attributed to Resendiz:

Christopher Maier
Victim 1: August 29, 1997/Lexington. Ky.: Christopher Maier, 21, a University of Kentucky
student, and his girlfriend are attacked while walking along the tracks near the college. Maier is
bludgeoned to death and she is raped and beaten, almost to the point of death. She miraculously

Victim 2: October 4, 1998/Hughes Spring, Texas: On this cool Fall evening, 87-year-old Leafie
Mason is hammered to death by a tire iron by someone who enters her home through a window.
Her front door faces the Kansas City-Southern Rail Line tracks only 50 yards away.

Dr. Claudia Benton

Victim 3: December 17, 1998/Houston, Texas: An invader breaks into the home of Dr. Claudia
Benton, 39, of the Baylor College of Medicine, when she arrives home, the intruder rapes, stabs
and bludgeons her repeatedly with a blunt instrument. Her home is near the rail lines that run
through suburban West University Place. When the police recover her stolen Jeep Cherokee in
San Antonio. TX, they find fingerprints on the steering column that match those of drifter
Resendiz, a known illegal alien. Three weeks later, a county judge signs a warrant for Resendiz'
arrest for burglary but, strangely enough, not for murder. There is not enough evidence, says

Rev. Norman Sirnic and wife Karen

Victims 4 & 5: May 2, 1999 Weimar, Texas: Late at night, the Reverend Norman J. "Skip"
Sirnic, 46, and wife Karen, 47, are struck to death by a sledgehammer in the parsonage of the
United Church of Christ located adjacent to the town's railroad. The couple's red Mazda is
found in San Antonio three weeks later. Forensic evidence matches the killing of Dr. Benton in

Noemi Dominguez
Victim 6: June 4, 1999: Houston, Texas: Schoolteacher Noemi Dominguez, 26, is clubbed to
death in her apartment, located near rail tracks. Seven days later, troopers find Dominguez'
1993 white Honda Civic abandoned at the international bridge at Del Rio, Texas.

Josephine Konvicka
Victim 7: June 4, 1999/Fayette County, Texas: Seventy-three-year-old Josephine Konvicka is
killed in bed by a blow of a pointed garden tool to the head. She lived in a frame farmhouse not
far from Weimar, where a month prior Rev. and Mrs. Simic were killed, and within shadows of
a rail yard. Her car has been tampered with, but the killer is unable to find the keys.

George Morber
Victims 8 & 9: June 15, 1999/Gorham, Ill.: An intruder breaks into a mobile home to kill its
two occupants, After shooting George Morber, Sr.,80, in the head with a shotgun, he then clubs
to death Morber's daughter, Carolyn Frederick, 52. Their house sits only 100 yards from the a
railroad track. The next day, a passerby spots Fredericks' red pickup truck in Cairo, IL, sixty
miles south of Gorham, being driven by a man matching Resendiz' description.

Carolyn Frederick
Most of Resendiz' victims were found covered with a blanket; none were of a tall or burly stature, for
the killer himself is of a diminutive size and stature. But, he might well have been a giant for the terror
he struck in the hearts of otherwise-relaxed communities. Citizens' emotions ran high in the towns
where he killed; in the smaller ones, especially, people who had never locked their doors and windows
at night were now bolting them. Children were ushered off the dusky streets by nervous parents, shops
closed early, and moonlit strolls ended.
Sentiments throughout pretty much echoed the words of Mayor Bernie Kosler of Weimar, the little
Texas burgh where the Simics and Mrs. Konvicka were slain. "The stores around here," he said, "have
sold out of pistols."

State and city law enforcement agencies did what little they could to find the will-o'-the-wisp maniac.
Freight yard security was steeped up and hobos by the boxcar loads were hauled into local jails for
positive identification and questioning. Sometimes freight trains were paused to hell with time
schedules! and searched engine to caboose. Hispanics, even those who worked in the yards,
complained to their bosses about the dirty looks they got from townspeople and what they felt was
harassment from the police.
Hangouts for transients became targets for raids; policemen marched through homeless shelters, blood
centers and soup kitchens where men earning money as migrant workers were known to frequent.
Loiterers about town were hustled into police stations for questioning, but quickly released when it
was proven they were not Angel Resendiz.
In June of 1999, the Federal Bureau of Investigation placed the Railroad Killer on its Top Ten Most
Wanted list. The Bureau's Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (VICAP) compared the elements of
the alleged Resendiz killings to come up with matches linking the same man to all of them. The FBI's
initial reward of $50,000 for information leading to Resendiz' capture escalated within days to
$125,000 as affected municipalities anted up.
Wanted posters described Resendiz as 5'7" tall, weighing 140-150 pounds; black hair, brown eyes and
dark complexion; scars on right ring finger, left arm and forehead; a snake tattoo on his left forearm
and a flower tattoo on his left wrist; has been known to employ any one of dozens of aliases, social
security numbers and birth dates (although the certified date seemed to be August 1, 1960); has worked
as a day laborer, migrant worker or auto mechanic.
In the meantime, Jackson County, IL officially charged Resendiz with the murder of the Gorham
killings after his fingerprints are documented. Officials in Louisville, KY did likewise. Angry
authorities in the latter city, where Christopher Maier became the first of the Railroad Killer's nine
known victims, disseminated wallet-size photos of the murderer, urging citizens to notify the police
immediately if they even think they have spotted him.

On July 1, authorities in Fayette County, TX, identified DNA from Noemi Dominguez in Josephine
Konvicka's home, indicating that after Resendiz killed the younger woman, he drove her car to other
woman's home for more bloodletting.
Don K. Clark, special agent in charge of the FBI's Houston office, coordinating the nationwide
manhunt, called Resendiz "a very dangerous and violent person," explaining why the Mexican national
and border jumper was placed on the infamous Top Ten list. "He's demonstrated he can use almost any
kind of object to take a human life in a very violent manner and we've got to try to catch him." Two
hundred agents, he said, were assigned round-the-clock assignments in locations where Resendiz was
known to have struck and where he might strike next. Of course, areas of concentration included
freight yards and rail depots. "We have the train tracks," Clark summarized.
Agents soon received more than 1,000 phone tips from people who claimed they had either seen the
fugitive, who knew the victims, or thought they might have something new or novel to add to the
strategy of the manhunt or psychology of the fugitive. Most of the leads were blind, but some of them
proved solid, as was the call that came in from vacationing acquaintances of Resendiz who spotted him
in Louisville. This occurred about the same time that John Matilda, director of the Wayside Christian
Mission in that city, advised the police that he, too, had seen the runaway.
On July 7, the FBI felt they had made a good move in recruiting the help of Resendiz' common-law
wife, Julietta Reyes, whom they brought into Houston from her hometown of Rodeo, Mexico, 250
miles below the border. "She would like to do everything she can to get (her husband) to turn himself
in to the appropriate authorities," reported Clark.

Julietta Reyes & daughter

Surprisingly, Julietta turned over to the FBI 93 pieces of jewelry that she had been mailed to her from
her husband abroad. She was sure they belonged to his victims. And she was on target. Relatives of
Noemi Dominguez quickly identified thirteen of the pieces. As well, George Benton, husband of the
murdered Claudia Benton, claimed several other pieces as her property.
A Fatal Slip-Up
For all the spent efficiency, Angel Resendiz continued to elude the law at every turn. John Douglas,
who had been with the FBI for 25 years, rued the fact that, "the manhunt for the accused killer (had)
been hampered by the lack of a coordinated computer system that would allow law enforcement
officials to compare notes instantly and determine patterns."
The lack of such a system proved to be more injurious to the manhunt than Douglas could have
predicted at the time.

On June 2, the Border Patrol apprehended Angel Resendiz near El Paso as he was attempting to cross
the border illegally. While he was in its custody, the United States Immigration & Naturalization
Service (INS) performed a computer search on him, checking his fingerprints and photo against a
possible fugitives list. Because the system failed to identify him as a wanted man, the INS deported
him to Mexico.
The slip-up proved to be much more than an embarrassment it wound up to be a crucial blunder.
After his release, Resendiz immediately found his way back into the States where, within 48 hours, he
killed both Dominguez and Konvicka near Houston, then Morber and his daughter in Illinois. Four
innocent people murdered over a computer glitch.
"Our computers told us that he was nothing of lookout material," explained C.G. Almengor, a
supervisor at the border. His words were too anti-climactic. "We really wish he had been in the system
so we could have caught him."
But, the error could not be totally blamed on modern technology. On July 1, a month after the mistake,
a Justice Department representative admitted that the West University Place Police Department had
notified the INS about Resendiz back in December right after the death of Dr. Benton, INS
Commissioner Doris Meissner announced an internal investigation into the matter.

Suspicious Angel
The manhunt for Resendiz involved more than the physical knocking on locked doors and pacing
through dusty freight yards. As with any manhunt the FBI conducts, a lot of time is spent getting to
know the type of man or woman for whom it is searching. This includes studying the culprit's criminal
background, social history and psychoses.
Resendiz had a long record of criminal enterprises before the series of known murders began in 1997
"He probably started killing somewhere in his late 20s," remarks John Douglas, who as a former FBI
agent, spent many hours pursuing other Resendezes (Resendiz was listed as Resendez-Ramirez on the
wanted poster). "He may have killed people like himself initially males, transients." Continuously
being sent back to Mexico by U.S. deportation officers who found him in this country illegally, he
"became angry at the population at large. What America represents here is this wealthy country where
he keeps getting kicked out...(he) just can't make ends meet. Coupled with these feelings, these
inadequacies, fueled by the fact that he's known to take alcohol, take drugs, lowers his inhibitions now
to go out and kill."

Angel Resendiz (aka

Rafael ResendezRamirez)
In the FBI's possession is a birth certificate listing Resendiz as having been born on August 1, 1960 in
Izucar de Matomoros in the state of Puebla, Mexico. His mother, Virginia de Maturino, claims the real
spelling of his surname is Recendis, not Resendiz, which he uses. She admits that her son spent his
formative years not with her, but with another family that seemed to lack proper guidance. And
homosexuals in Puebla may have sexually abused him, she says.

Virtually an orphan, Resendiz roamed the streets as a child, without a real family role model. The FBI
has identified a sister in Albuquerque, New Mexico and other relatives both south and north of the
border. Relatives in the U.S. have migrated as far north as the Great Lakes and as far east as Vermont.
Angel Resendiz first came to the attention of the U.S. Justice Department at age 16 when he was
caught in Brownsville, TX, trying to cross the border from Mexico in 1976. "He was deported two
months later," says the Dallas/Forth Worth Internet Service, "the first of...numerous run-ins with U.S.
authorities." In 1988, he briefly lived in St. Louis where "he registered with a temporary agency and
worked a half-day at a manufacturing company (and) voted in two elections under an assumed name".
Resendiz' criminal life in the United States, as well as his ability to escape long-term punishment here,
reads like a bad novel. After his first deportation in August 1976, he returned to the U.S. a month later
where INS agents located him in Sterling Heights, MI., and yet again in October, this time in McAllen,
Texas. Then he quieted for a spell.
No one knows when he slipped back into this country, but in September of 1979, he was sentenced to a
20-year prison term for auto theft and assault in Miami, Florida. Luck on his side, he was paroled
within six years and released onto Mexican soil.
But, the drifter drifted quite actively. Over the next decade, Resendiz was

apprehended and tried in Texas for falsely claiming citizenship, for which he did an 18-month
prison stint (1986);
was arrested for possessing a concealed weapon in New Orleans, receiving an 18-month
sentence, but paroled after a year (1988);
earned a 30-month sentence for attempting to defraud Social Security in St. Louis (1988);
pleaded guilty to burglary charges in New Mexico, a crime that gained him an 18-month prison
term, though again he was paroled after a year (1992); and
was apprehended in a Santa Fe rail yard for trespassing and carrying a firearm (1995).

For the last infraction he was again deported. In fact, after every incarceration and in between them
he was dumped across the border so many times that he resembled a boomerang.
Two years after the last recorded deportation, he materialized in Kentucky to kill Christopher Maier.

Sometime in early June, a young Texas Ranger by the name of Drew Carter conceived the notion that
perhaps Resendiz' sister, Manuela, whom Resendiz is said to idolize, might be instrumental in affecting
her brother's surrender. He contacted Manuela, who lived in Albuquerque, to assess the practicality of
his plan. The woman, who feared that her brother might eventually be killed by the FBI, or might kill
again in the meantime, promised Carter that she would do everything humanly possible to help.

Drew Carter
The FBI had traced Resendiz' whereabouts to Mexico where he had absconded not long after the
double murder in Illinois. He was believed to be, at that point, hiding near the town of Ciudad Juarez.

In his easy-going, unforced rapport with Manuela, Sgt. Carter explained that he was working with the
FBI and legal prosecutors in Harris County (TX) to offer the fairest deal he could to her brother, the
Railroad Killer, under the circumstances. If he surrendered himself, Carter told her, Resendiz would be
assured of three things: 1) his personal safety while in jail; 2) regular visiting rights so that his wife,
sister and others could visit him; and 3) a psychological evaluation. In effect, Carter's weeks-long
relationship-building effort created solid steps toward working a miracle that is, getting a serial
killer to turn himself in."
Carter, who had been a Texas Ranger less than a year, believed in being straightforward. Says he,
"Honesty's never hard. Sincerity is something people sense. That's what I did. I was honest with the
On Monday, July12, Manuela received a fax from the district attorney's office in Harris County,
putting into writing the agreement that Carter had stated. The offer was then passed on to another
relative who acted as emissary between his sister in Albuquerque and brother Angel in Mexico. That
evening, word came from Ciudad Juarez that the Railroad Killer would, based on the Carter's word,
surrender. The long-awaited moment was scheduled for 9 A.M. the following morning.
Tuesday, July 13. Carter was there ahead of time, accompanied by Manuela and her pastor to act as
spiritual guide. They met on a bridge connecting Zaragosa, Mexico, with El Paso.
"When I saw that face there was a little bit of excitement there because I finally said, 'This is going to
happen,'" Carter recalls. He watched Resendiz alight from the truck in dirty jeans and muddy boots. As
he neared him, "He stuck out his hand, I stuck out my hand, and we shook hands."
With the timidity of a true hero, Carter, who pulled off one of the greatest arrests in Texas Ranger
history, refuses to take full credit for his coup; he cited the support of the FBI and other law
enforcement and county representatives who helped establish the terms of agreement that convinced
the dreaded Railroad Killer to cross that bridge.
Whoever gets the credit, the event pleased many and brought relief, especially to the victims' families
and friends. The Dallas/Fort Worth Internet Service reports, "Several hundred people in Weimar
attended a ceremony to pray and give thanks for the suspect's capture. As the sun set and a train whistle
blew in the background, residents of the South Texas town hugged and cried."
But, sometimes anger dies hard. "I wish (Resendiz) the worst," says murder victim Josephine
Konvicka's daughter. "He's destroyed so much of our lives."

Law enforcement officials remain perplexed as to why the Railroad Killer surrendered so freely to a
state that has executed more people than any other. Surely, Resendiz must know that, if convicted of
any of the murders in Texas, which seems very likely, he will face the death penalty. More so,
prosecutors in Harris County where on Thursday, July 22, he was indicted for the murder of Dr.
Benton hold the national record for sending murderers to the electric chair.
Texas Ranger Carter's surrender agreement was very concise in detail. In no way was the verbiage
misleading as to confuse Resendiz into believing he would be spared due punishment. One possible
speculation for Resendiz' easy surrender was that he feared bounty hunters who, it was known, had
gathered in Mexico to collect the reward.
An editorial in The Dallas Morning News reads thus: "Mr. Resendiz faces a long legal process. Some
questions surrounding the surrender itself need to be answered why did he not merely 'lose himself'

in Mexico? Or, given Mexico's policy against extraditing alleged murderers to the United States
because of the death penalty here, why did he not simply surrender to Mexican authorities? Once those
questions are answered, (his) surrender may turn out to be as interesting as the manhunt itself."
In the meantime, his world of endless railroad tracks has constricted to a 60-square-foot cell at the
maximum-security Harris County Jail. A cot, a toilet and a wash basin are his life's accessories.
"Because of the high profile of the case, he's under administrative segregation...A deputy has constant
visual observation of him," explains facility spokesperson Celeste Spaugh. Four murder charges are
filed against him and he faces other possible charges in Kentucky and Illinois. Maybe, Florida, too.
That state is in the process of comparing blood samplesfound in a 1997 Marion County murder a
body found beside rail tracks.
Mexico Has Questions
There may be a good reason why Angel Resendiz chose not to surrender to Mexican authorities.
Perhaps, our neighbors south of the border want to talk to him, also, about some killings in Ciudad
"We are looking at the homicides we haven't cleared that appear to fit his method," states Steve Slater,
an advisor to the Chihuahua State Public Safety Department...He has family in Juarez, including his
mother. He's been through here a lot. We certainly have railroad tracks and bodies found by railroad
tracks, and most are women."
Before this case rounds out, Angel Maturino Resendiz may be shown to have taken part in any one of
another 200 cases the FBI says fit his modus operandi. He may turn out to be one of the greatest or
perhaps a better word is infamous serial killers of all time.
In any event, the Railroad Killer will no longer be riding any box cars, so Arlo Guthrie may return to
glorifying the wheat fields of America and the clack-clack-clack of the train riding mighty iron rails of

Sentenced to Death
Angel Maturino Resendiz has been found guilty of capital murder and today sits on death row in
Livingston, Texas. All he has to look forward to is a lethal injection that will send him to God's
Jury selection for what would eventually lead to the eight-day trial of the Railroad Killer began late
March 1999, in Houston, Harris County. The latest chapter of the Resendiz drama began tumultuously
with his refusal to play ball even with his own lawyers. First, he refused to be tested by a courtappointed psychiatrist (although he eventually conceded), and then he chose not to accept a change of
venue despite his attorneys' claims that he might not get a fair trial in Houston.
Even though Resendiz has been formally charged with the murders of seven people in total, he has
only been tried and convicted of one of those killings, that of Dr. Claudia Benton, whom he slew in her
home in 1998. Her body had been found a couple of weeks before Christmas, battered and broken.
Several items stolen from Benton's home including fragments of a steering column from Benton's
Jeep were later recovered by police in the house of Resendiz's girlfriend. As well, Resendiz's
fingerprints were found in that same automobile
Presiding over the trial was District Judge William Harmon; chief prosecutor for the state was County
District Attorney John Holmes, Jr., assisted by Devon Anderson. Court-appointed defense lawyers

Allen Tanner and Rudy Duarte, aware that the state's case against their client was air tight, fought to
have Resendiz committed on insanity.
The trial faced several postponements. One was caused by a delay in procuring the findings of several
psychiatrists, to whose examinations Resendiz at first would not submit. Another was generated by the
defense council's action to move the trial from Harris County to a place where, they felt, sentiment was
less harsh against the headline-making serial killer.
A segment of the motion read, "Publicity (here) has been inflammatory and unfair and has created such
hostility towards the defendant, and prejudiced the opinions of members of the community to such a
degree, that it is unlikely that a verdict can be solely reached on the evidence presented at the trial."
That the court might have decided in favor of the motion was thwarted when the defendant himself
refused to abide with the request. Opposed to a local trial in the outset, he changed his mind afterwards
stating that he believed that no matter where he went the public mindset was already poisoned against
him. Despite his attorneys' pleas, Resendiz would not consent.
After the pre-trial upsets were finally settled, the session commenced to a packed courtroom on May 8,
1999. Judge Harmon issued a gag order that muzzled lawyers from talking freely to the press, but the
explosion of emotions behind the courtroom doors was pyrotechnical. Over the next week, a jury
equally divided by male and female members heard a series of witnesses from both sides.
The thrust of the trial seemed to center on whether or not Resendiz was sane or insane when he
committed his crimes, particularly the murder of Dr. Benton. The defense brought forth forensic
psychiatrist Dr. Bruce Cohen who diagnosed the defendant as schizophrenic. Cohen claimed that
"(Resendiz) did not know his conduct was wrong." Because of a mental delusion that had him
believing his victims were evil, said Cohen, "(the defendant) thought he was justified in his behaviors."
However, a psychiatrist testifying in behalf of the prosecution presented an altogether different
summary. Dr. Ramon Laval, while agreeing that Resendiz did have unhealthy views of women and of
mankind in general, and suffered from misguided fixations, attested that Resendiz "knew what he was
doing" when he murdered Dr. Benton and the others. With that, Prosecutor Holmes again reminded the
jurors of the Railroad Killer's savagery unleashed upon his victims and, before detailing Dr.
Benton's murder, warned the court that it is "one of the most horrible that you will ever have the
misfortune to hear."
Of the twenty-plus witnesses for the prosecution, the last and most impacting was the 23-year-old
girlfriend of victim Christopher Maier. Maier and she were attacked while strolling home from a
function at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Raped, bludgeoned and left for dead, she
recovered to identify Resendiz as the Railroad Killer. In court, she detailed the bloody assault, which
took place on August 27, 1997, near local railway tracks.
According to the witness, after Resendiz killed Maier and before he pummeled her, he sardonically
told her, "You don't have to worry about him anymore."
In closing arguments, the prosecution pointed to the heinous nature of Resendiz's crimes, the
premeditative nature of each, the heartlessness displayed and, especially, to the inescapable evidence
of his guilt: fingerprints, palm prints and, most damaging, DNA evidence collected from the scenes of
the crime.
With little weight in their favor, the defense team merely begged for the mercy of the jurors to spare
the life of the murderer. Meekly, almost pathetically, attorney Rudy Duarte recalled to the jury, "(Our
client) recognized he had a problem, and he turned himself in. That is something."

The jurors felt no sympathy. On May 17, 1999, after 10 hours of deliberation, the panel pronounced
Angel Maturino Resendiz guilty of first-degree, premeditated murder. Despite his lawyers' pleas, the
Railroad Killer was sentenced to death.
A half-hearted appeals process awash, Resendiz now awaits his fate in silence.
George Benton cannot easily forgive his wife Claudia's murderer. "It's been hard," he confesses, and
remembers the day he had to tell his daughters that their mother was killed in fury.
One victim's mother summed up her life since the murder of her kin, including the terrible memories
disinterred at the trial: "It was like watching a horror movie."
Angel Maturino Resendiz was executed in Huntsville, Texas, on June 27, 2006, by lethal injection.

The Railroad Killer story was compiled from up-to-the minute news sources, which include:
APB Online (articles by staff writers Valerie Kalfrin & Amy Worden)
Associated Press, The
CNN Interactive
Court TV Online
Dallas/Fort Worth Internet Service, The
Dallas Morning News, The
El Paso Times Online
Lubbock Online Networt