Did Jennette McCurdy's underwear-clad selfies lead to the end of Sam & Cat? Future of Nickelodeon show 'in doubt' after photo scandal
- Photos of the 21-year-old Nickelodeon star posing in her underwear were leaked on the internet last month
- They emerged after she publicly criticized her ex-boyfriend's kissing
- Sam & Cat has yet to be renewed for a second season despite its success
- McCurdy missed the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards at the weekend and said it was because of how she had been treated by the channel
- Reports claim that she has fallen out with them over money because her co-star Ariana Grande gets paid 'way more' than she does
She was the butter-wouldn't-melt star of hit kids' comedy show Sam & Cat.
But it seems that Jennette McCurdy's out of office activities may have led to the unfortunate early end of the Nickelodeon programme.
Production on the show has reportedly stopped and it is unlikely to be renewed for a second season following selfies of Jennette, 21, wearing just her underwear being leaked on the internet.
But there are also claims that the show has not been renewed because Jennette, who skipped the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards last weekend, has fallen out with the network over pay - and is upset that her co-star Ariana Grande earns 'way more' than her, TMZ reported.
Not so innocent: Jennette McCurdy, the star of Nickeldeon's Sam & Cat, right, was left red-faced when photos of her in her underwear, left, were leaked online. The show has not been renewed for a second season
'The photos caused no issues and we have the utmost respect for her': The network denies that the leaked racy pics are behind the production hiatus, while the star herself insists her unhappiness stems from Nickelodeon's 'treatment' of her
Deadline Hollywood claim that the fact there has been no announcement about the renewal of the show for a second season is incredibly unusual considering the immense success of the 40-episode first series.
The scandal began last month, when the images of Jennette in a bra and thong hit the web after she publicly slammed Detroit Pistons player beau Andre Drummond for being a bad kisser.
However, despite Jennette insisting she only sent the images to one person, Drummond has insisted that he wasn't responsible for the leak.
When Jennette failed to attend the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards, despite being nominated for Favorite TV actress, over the weekend, rumours of trouble between the young star and the TV network continued to spread.
Jennette posted a lengthy message on her Twitter page in an attempt to explain her absence from the red carpet awards to her fans, writing: 'A lot of you guys are asking why I didn’t attend the KCAs.
Scandal-hit: 21-year-old McCurdy shares her own scantily-clad images on her Facebook and Twitter pages
Star: McCurdy is on the show with Ariana Grande, right, with whom she has reportedly been feuding with
'I wish I could explain everything as thoroughly as I would like to, but unfortunately a simpler explanation is all I can write. I was put in an uncomfortable, compromising, unfair situation (many of you have guessed what it is) and I had to look out for me.'
Making reference to a reported feud between herself and co-star Ariana Grande, Jennette continued: 'I chose to not go because sticking up for what is right and what is fair is what my mom taught me is ALWAYS the most important thing.
'I want to thank those of you who have reached out with kind words of support, McCurdians and Arianators alike. No matter who or what you support, I believe in supporting fairness first. If you have done that, thank you.'
She then added: 'My previous tweet has nothing to do with pics leaked.oh you guys lol. It has to do with how nickelodeon treated me. That’s all. Thanks for the love.'
Knock-on effect: Despite being the highest-rated show on the network, extended from 20 to 40 episodes just one month into its first run, the series is yet to be renewed for a second season following the scandal
Staying at home: McCurdy, who shared these images on Facebook, said her absence from Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards last weekend had nothing to do with the leaked photographs
The way they were: While it's been reported that the discord between the friends is nothing personal, Jennette's decision to ditch her pal at the awards show on the weekend suggests otherwise
And a spokesperson for Nickelodeon told the New York Daily News reiterated that the pictures were not to blame for any 'feud' between them and Jennette.
A statement read: 'The photos caused no issues between McCurdy and the network, and we have the utmost respect for her.'
And of the claims that the show has wrapped early, officials said: 'We are wrapping up what was an unusually long production cycle of Sam & Cat, and everyone is understandably tired.
'We are going into our production hiatus next week which will give everyone on the show a much needed rest.'
In the series, which took home the Favorite Show award at the ceremony, Jennette and Ariana, aka Sam & Cat, are roommates who also run a childminding company.
Most watched News videos
- Gunman 'scouted Beqiri's home' disguised as litter picker, court heard
- Incredible moment half-eaten shark manages to keep swimming in ocean
- Fallen trees block road after Storm Arwen causes disruption in The Wirral
- PM 'confident' Christmas will be 'better than last Christmas'
- Dozens of terrified dogs rescued from dog meat trader in Indonesia
- Dutch residents react to Holland's latest Covid lockdown restrictions
- Heavy snow hits Scotland as Met Office issues red weather alert
- Russia launches deadly missile as tensions with the West continue
- Epidemiologist: Travel bans against Covid variants are 'unnecessary'
- Travellers in South Africa react to disruptions due to new variant
- Met Office issues red weather alert as gale force winds expected
- Night footage of Russia launching deadly hypersonic Zircon missile