List of The New York Times employees
This is a list of former and current New York Times employees, reporters, and columnists.
List of masthead employees as of August 2020:
- Jia Lynn Yang, national editor
- Michael Slackman, international editor
- Randy Archibold, sports editor
- Ellen Pollock, business editor
- Clifford Levy, metro editor
- Patrick Healy, Politics editor
- Stella Bugbee, Styles editor
- Gilbert Cruz, Culture Editor
- Sia Michel, Deputy Culture Editor
- Meeta Agrawal, Arts and Leisure Editor
- Bill McDonald, obituaries editor
- Will Shortz, crossword puzzle editor
- Jake Silverstein, editor, The New York Times Magazine
- Pamela Paul, editor, The New York Times Book Review
- Hanya Yanagihara, editor, T: The New York Times Style Magazine
- Amanda Cox, editor The Upshot
Opinion columnists as of August 2021:
- Eric Asimov, chief wine critic
- Peter Baker, chief White House correspondent
- Jo Becker, investigative reporter
- Walt Bogdanich, investigative reporter
- Ben Brantley, theater critic
- Manohla Dargis, film critic
- Jim Dwyer, "About New York" columnist
- Thomas Feyer, letters editor
- Michael R. Gordon, chief military correspondent, winner of George Polk Award
- Jesse Green, theater critic
- Michael M. Grynbaum, media correspondent
- Maggie Haberman, White House reporter
- Nicholas Fandos, Congress reporter
- Stephen Holden, film critic
- Neil Irwin, senior economic correspondent
- Lara Jakes, diplomatic correspondent
- George Johnson, science reporter
- Dwight Garner, book critic
- Michiko Kakutani, book reviewer
- Christine Kay, enterprise consultant
- Florence Finch Kelly, book reviewer
- Michael Kimmelman, architecture critic
- John Leland, popular culture, national
- Mark Mazzetti, National security correspondent
- Dennis Overbye, former deputy science editor, currently a science reporter
- Philip P. Pan, Asia editor
- Jon Pareles, pop music critic
- Bill Pennington, "On Par" columnist and sports reporter
- James Risen, national security correspondent
- Michael Rothfeld, investigative reporter
- David E. Sanger, Washington correspondent
- Charlie Savage, legal affairs correspondent
- A. O. Scott, film critic
- Robert B. Semple, Jr., associate editor, Times editorial page, Pulitzer Prize winner
- Scott Shane, national security correspondent
- Andrew Ross Sorkin, chief mergers & acquisitions correspondent
- Sheryl Gay Stolberg, Washington correspondent, covering health policy
- Neil Strauss, freelance music writer
- Anthony Tommasini, chief music critic
- David C. Unger, foreign affairs editorial writer
- Pete Wells, restaurant critic
- Chris Wiggins, chief data scientist
- Damon Winter, Pulitzer Prize-winning staff photographer
- Sheryl WuDunn, industry and international business editor and Pulitzer Prize winner
- Douglas Martin (reporter), obituaries
- Rory Smith, chief soccer correspondent
- George Jones (1851-1891)
- George F. Spinney (1893-1896)
- Adolph Ochs (1896-1935)
- Arthur Hays Sulzberger (1935-1961)
- Orvil Dryfoos (1961-1963)
- Arthur Ochs "Punch" Sulzberger (1963-1992)
- Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr. (1992-2017)
Editor in Chief
(position created in 1964 superseding Managing Editor as top news official)
- Turner Catledge (1964–1968)
- James Reston (1968–1969)
- position vacant (1969–1976)
- A. M. Rosenthal (1977–1986)
- Max Frankel (1986–1994)
- Joseph Lelyveld (1994–2001) and briefly in 2003
- Howell Raines (2001–2003)
- Bill Keller (2003–2011)
- Jill Abramson (2011–2014)
- Dean Baquet (2014–)
- George F. Spinney (1889-1893)
- Carr Van Anda (1904-1932)
- Edwin Leland James (1932-1951)
- Turner Catledge (1952-1964)
- Clifton Daniel (1964-1968)
- A. M. Rosenthal (1968-1977)
- Seymour Topping (1977-1986)
- Arthur Gelb (1986-1989)
- Joseph Lelyveld (1990-1994)
- Gene Roberts (1994-1997)
Editorial page editors
Titled Editor-in-Chief or Editor until retirement of Merz but never had authority over news pages.
- Rollo Ogden (1922-1937)
- John Huston Finley (1937-1938)
- Charles Merz (1938-1961)
- John Bertram Oakes (1961-1976)
- Max Frankel (1977-1986)
- Jack Rosenthal (journalist) (1986-1993)
- Howell Raines (1993-2001)
- Gail Collins (2001-2006)
- Andrew Rosenthal (2007-2016)
Other former personnel
- Brooks Atkinson, theater critic
- Matt Bai, news analyst and "Political Times" columnist
- Clive Barnes, dance and theater critic
- Jayson Blair, reporter (1999–2003); resigned over plagiarism and fabrications
- Raymond Bonner, civil war reporter in El Salvador; resigned in protest
- Don Hogan Charles, photographer
- Adam Clymer, former correspondent in Washington, D.C.
- William G. Connolly, co-author of The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage
- Bill Cunningham, fashion photographer
- Kurt Eichenwald, business reporter
- Janet Elder, deputy managing editor (died 2017)
- James M. Follo, chief financial officer (2007-2018)
- Leonard P. Forman, chief financial officer (2001-2007)
- Vanessa Friedman, fashion critic
- Linda Greenhouse, U.S. Supreme Court correspondent, Pulitzer Prize winner
- Trish Hall, masthead editor overseeing six feature sections (2010–2011), op-ed editor (2011–2015), and senior editor (2015–2017)
- Bernard Holland, music critic (1981–1994), chief music critic (1995–2008)
- Cathy Horyn, fashion critic (1998–2014)
- Sarah Jeong, Editorial Board
- Walter Kerr, theater critic
- Anna Kisselgoff, dance critic from 1968, chief dance critic (1977-2005)
- Arthur Krock, Pulitzer Prize winning correspondent and columnist
- Trymaine Lee, Harlem beat reporter (2006–2011)
- Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, book reviewer
- Eric Lichtblau, legal affairs reporter
- Hugo Lindgren, editor, The New York Times Magazine (2010–2013)
- Robert Lipsyte, sports journalist
- Herbert Matthews, reporter, known for interviewing Fidel Castro in his Sierra Maestra hideout
- Judith Miller, reporter, jailed for refusing to reveal sources
- Gretchen Morgenson, business reporter and winner of Pulitzer Prize
Stuart E. Nassauer, Senior Copy Editor (1949-1986); editor of Kennedy assassination news and other historical eventshttps://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/nytimes/name/stuart-nassauer-obituary?id=14827542
- Rajiv Pant, chief technology officer (2011-2015)
- Dith Pran, photojournalist during Cambodian war
- Harrison Salisbury, Pulitzer Prize and George Polk Award winner
- William E. Sauro, staff photographer. Won George Polk Award 1965.
- Sydney Schanberg, Pulitzer Prize and George Polk Award winner; resigned in protest.
- Allan M. Siegal, co-author of The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage
- Louis Silverstein, design director
- Craig S. Smith, former Shanghai bureau chief and founder of The New York Times' Chinese website
- Hedrick Smith, correspondent and bureau chief
- Barbara Strauch, editor (2000–2015)
- Walter Sullivan, science editor
- John Swinton, chief editorialist (1860–1869)
- Howard Thompson, film critic
- Don Van Natta, Jr., Pulitzer Prize winning investigative correspondent
- Sean Villafranca, design manager (1998–2008)
- Betsy Wade, copy editor (1956–2001)
- Bari Weiss, op-ed staff editor (2017–2020)
- Alden Whitman, chief obituary writer (1964-1976)
- Carey Winfrey, local and foreign correspondent
The public editor position was established in 2003 in response to the Jayson Blair scandal. In late May 2017, The New York Times announced that it was eliminating the post. Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr. announced: "The public editor position, created in the aftermath of a grave journalistic scandal, played a crucial part in rebuilding our readers’ trusts by acting as our in-house watchdog. We welcomed that criticism, even when it stung. But today, our followers on social media and our readers across the internet have come together to collectively serve as a modern watchdog, more vigilant and forceful than one person could ever be."
- Daniel Okrent (2003–2005)
- Byron Calame (2005–2007)
- Clark Hoyt (2007–2010)
- Arthur S. Brisbane (2010–2012)
- Margaret Sullivan (2012–2016)
- Elizabeth Spayd (2016–2017)
- Ember, Sydney (2016-10-19). "New York Times Names A.G. Sulzberger Deputy Publisher". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-26.
- Ember, Sydney (December 14, 2017). "A.G. Sulzberger, 37, to Take Over as New York Times Publisher". The New York Times.
- "The Masthead of The New York Times". The New York Times. 2020-08-08. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-09-04.
- "Matt Ericson Named Assistant Managing Editor". The New York Times Company. January 30, 2018.
- "Board of Directors". The New York Times Company.
- "The New York Times Company - News & Events - Press Releases". investors.nytco.com.
- Wall Street Journal: "New York Times Promotes Ad Chief Meredith Kopit Levien to Chief Revenue Officer" by Nathalie Tadena, Blogs.wsj.com, April 17, 2015
- Alpert, Lukas I. (June 7, 2017). "New York Times Promotes Meredith Kopit Levien to Chief Operating Officer". The Wall Street Journal.
- Ember, Sydney (2017-04-18). "New York Times Names Former Businessweek Editor to Head Business Section". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-26.
- Robertson, Katie (2021-06-09). "New York Times Names Stella Bugbee as Styles Editor". Nytimes.com
- Symonds, Alexandria (2017-08-21). "T Magazine's New Editor: From Glossies to Global Vision". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-26.
- "Our Very First Northern Europe Bureau Chief". nytco. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 18 November 2021.
- "Sui-Lee Wee Named Southeast Asia Bureau Chief". nytco. The New York Times Company. 25 October 2021. Retrieved 25 October 2021.
- "Our Next Baghdad Bureau Chief". nytco. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 18 November 2021.
- "Our New Madrid Bureau Chief". nytco. The New York Times Company. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 18 November 2021.
- "Our Next Jerusalem Bureau Chief". nytco. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 18 November 2021.
- "Next Steps for Mexico City Bureau". nytco. The New York Times Company. 19 October 2020. Retrieved 18 November 2021.
- "Mujib Mashal Promoted to South Asia Bureau Chief". nytco. The New York Times Company. 14 October 2021. Retrieved 26 October 2021.
- "Our Next Paris Bureau Chief". nytco. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 18 November 2021.
- "Opinion". The New York Times. Retrieved 2021-08-27.
- Bennet, James (2017-04-28). "Introducing Our New Columnist". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-26.
- "The New York Times Names Jesse Green Co-Chief Theater Critic | The New York Times Company". nytco.com. 22 March 2017. Retrieved 2017-03-23.
- O'Shea, Chris (14 April 2015). "NY Times Makes Changes to Investigations Team". Fishbowl NY. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Dunlap, David W. (18 March 2016). "2007-2016 - The Rosenthal Era in the Editorial Department". The New York Times.
- [dead link]
- "Times Reporter Who Resigned Leaves Long Trail of Deception", The New York Times, May 11, 2003. Accessed July 30, 2008.
- *Estrin, James (February 15, 2016). "The Harlem of Don Hogan Charles". The New York Times. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- "Sarah Jeong Joins The Times's Editorial Board". 2 August 2018. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- Jennings, Jay (2011-06-24). "Robert Lipsyte: Skeptic in the Press Box". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2021-09-02.
- "Robert Lipsyte - The New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2021-09-02.
- Alter, Jonathan (2006-04-23). "Taking Sides". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2021-09-02.
- Alpert, Lukas I. (2015-05-07). "New York Times CTO Rajiv Pant Joins Digital Media Startup Some Spider". Blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "Ask A Reporter: Craig Smith". The New York Times. 2002-11-03. Archived from the original on 2002-11-03. Retrieved 2021-09-02.
- McFadden, Robert D. (2020-12-04). "Betsy Wade, First Woman to Edit News at The Times, Dies at 91". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-12-04.
- "The New York Times offers newsroom buyouts, eliminates public editor post". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2017-06-04.