Thompson Rivers University (TRU) Kamloops Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fee & Scholarships
Thompson Rivers University Canada is a public research and learning institution which serves over 24,954 students through its campuses in Kamloops and Williams Lake, and distance learning courses. More than 3500 international students from 100 countries aspiring to study in Canada join the University every year. TRU is accredited to Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) for providing associate, bachelor and master degree programs. The University is the third in British Columbia with this accreditation and the first one to achieve it in less than 3 years.
The University offers bachelor and master degree programs for the students in areas like economics, accounting, business administration, adventure studies, chemistry, etc. Thompson has several international partnerships through its TRU World division. It gives out CAD 2.5 million worth of scholarships to the students in the form of awards, bursaries or grants every year. It also offers residence options and allows students to live on the campus and avail several facilities.
|Location||Kamloops, British Columbia|
|No. of campuses||2|
|No. of residence halls||3|
|No. of students||25,000+|
|No. of faculty members||400+|
|Average Class size||24|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, bursaries, awards, loans, and grants|
|Work study program||Available|
Thompson Rivers University Ranking
|Edurank||#1 in Kamloops
#48 in Canada
#1714 in world
|UniRank||#46 in the country
#1493 in the world
Thompson Rivers University Campus
- Thompson Rivers University popularly known as TRU is nestled in two campuses; Kamloops and Williams Lake campuses, located on the traditional territory, in British Columbia’s southern interior.
- The main campus of the university is the Kamloops campus which stands across the confluence of the North Thompson and South Thompson rivers where the school derived its name.
- Features of Kamloops campus-the main campus of the University includes over 80 active student societies and clubs, 12 athletic teams, including basketball, WolfPack varsity volleyball, soccer, and badminton, wireless internet access across the entire campus.
- It has close proximity to major urban centers like Vancouver, Calgary, and Seattle.
Thompson Rivers University Residence
- TRU offers on-campus accommodation to students in 3 halls of residence; North Tower, McGill residence and East Village.
- Application for residency is done online and a 100 CAD non-refundable application fee is required.
- Annual housing fee ranges from 3,975 CAD to 7,100 CAD depending on the apartment of residence, the type of room, and the amenities available and they include a 50 CAD non-refundable mandatory residence life activity fee.
- Students can also choose the home stay program where they are allowed to live with Canadian families. To ensure the effectiveness of this program, well-established network of experienced host families are available and every family is well-inspected and interviewed.
Thompson Rivers University Courses
- Thompson Rivers University offers a plethora of bachelor programs, masters programs, post-baccalaureates, certificates/diploma, and some other postgraduate programs.
- There are 140 programs on campus and more than 60 online programs.
- Courses are taken by students in the open learning to get ahead in his/her field or expand knowledge/expertise while students who take the program wishes to work toward a certificate, diploma or bachelor's degree in health sciences, education, business, etc.
- Thompson Rivers offers Adult Basic Education, Community Programs, and English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
Thompson Rivers University Application Process
The University accepts applications from international students for semester starting in January, May and September. Completed applications and supporting materials are encouraged to be submitted before deadlines. Late applications can only be considered if space is available.
How to Apply?
The international student admission process for Thompson Rivers University has been described below:
Application Portal: EducationPlannerBC application portal
Application Fee: 100 CAD
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted along with the application for admission:
- Official transcripts
- Degree Certificate (if awarded undergraduate degree is not indicated on transcript)
- Letter of Intent
- Proof of Official Name Change (if applicable)
- Two Reference Letters (one academic and one professional reference)
- Additional documents (any documents that might support the application)
- Scanned copies of original/official transcripts (or certified copies) of secondary school grades and any post-secondary institutions
English language requirements
Applicants are required to meet minimum English language proficiency requirements either by taking the TRU English Placement Test (EPT) with an acceptable score or providing an acceptable English language proficiency with minimum test score (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)
Thompson Rivers University Cost of Attendance
The tuition fee for different programs offered at the Thompson Rivers University varies. The estimated cost of attendance for the 2020-2021 academic sessions is presented on the table below:
|Fees||Undergraduate (CAD)||Graduate (CAD)|
|Tuition||7,320 – 24,326||5,217 – 33,630|
|Housing (depending on choice of residence)||3,500 – 7,950||3,500 – 7,950|
|General Fees (library, activity, Student Society, U-Pass, etc)||542 per semester||542 per semester|
|Health Fee||75 per month||75 per month|
|TRUSU Extended Health & Dental Plan||248 per year||248 per year|
|Estimated Cost of Textbooks||100-500 per semester||100-500 per semester|
|Total||13,788 – 35,244||11,885 – 44,748|
Thompson Rivers University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Thompson Rivers University offers comprehensive financial aids in forms of bursaries, scholarships, awards, work-study, loans, and grants.
- Students who have completed at least a semester of studies at the University are eligible for more than 500 aids and prizes are available.
- 43% of eligible entrance scholarship applicants were offered a scholarship award and 96% of scholarships offer worth above 1000 CAD is awarded annually to students with an 85% average or higher.
- Some of the scholarships available to international students include:
|Scholarship Name||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|International Athletic Scholarships||Eligible sports discipline include: Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball||Variable|
|Engineering Scholarships||Enrolled in a two-year Engineering Transfer program||3000 CAD|
|TRU Law International Student Award||Students enrolled in the Juris Doctor program||5000 CAD|
|International Social Media Ambassador Award||Enrolled as a full-time student in minimum 9 credits for the semester appointed as an Ambassador Minimum GPA of 2.5 on 4.0||Variable|
Thompson Rivers University Alumni Network
Thompson Rivers University alumni members are entitled to the following benefits:
- Career resources
- Alumni Association scholarships and bursaries
- Reunion planning assistance
- Alumni Access Card that allows discount on accommodation and travel, professional development, retail and merchandise, services, sports and entertainment.
Notable alumni include:
- Lorne Cardinal – Canadian television actor
- Steven Galloway – Novelist
- Daniel Hayes – Actor
- John Gordon Perrin – Canadian volleyball player
- Jim Cotter – Canadian curler
Thompson Rivers University Placements
- Students can get job placements while still studying at Thompson Rivers University under the work and study program. Under the program, students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week and earn on an average 2400-3000 CAD per month.
- Students can be granted a work permit for Canada for up to two years after graduation if they study for up to two-year at TRU. The average annual salary of the University graduates according to PayScale is 66,306 CAD.
- A student can earn up to 120,000 CAD per year living in Canada and a salary range from 30,200 CAD to 534,000 CAD per year.
|Bachelor’s degree||53,886 CAD|
|Diploma||21 CAD an hour|
|Apprenticeship||35 CAD an hour|
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://apply.educationplannerbc.ca/
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
QS World University
It was a quite and calm place to live with good amount of part time & full time job opportunities. The area is surrounded by hills and the downtown is good to hang out too with some good pizza shops like fresh slice to eat. There is a club too named CJ’s in downtown to hangout. Near the downtown river, there are 2 pubs named moxies and sharks which are very good.
Course Curriculum :
Course curriculum was good and vast. There were various level of courses. One thing to note and understand: in India, we call BBA a course and there are various subjects under that particular course. But when you come to Canada for study purposes, BBA will be called a Program and there are various courses under it. I thought it it relevant to discuss as hardly any Counsellor or anyone describe these differences.
I got to know about this college through internet.When I was in 12the standard I decided to pursue my further education from Canada.Then I came to know about this university.I made an online application via the online admission portal if the university. It had cost me around $100. I had not applied for admission at other colleges.
Course Curriculum :
From this course curriculum I had gain critical thinking skills, as well as the skills to analyze and interpret data.I had completed various projects under the direction of the faculty members.This consists of 75 course credits, with 15 upper-level Psychology credits.It had strengthen my communication skills also.
I opted for this university because one of my elder cousin studied there.So he suggested to pursue my masters from here.On his suggestion I decided to get admission here.For my admission I had to filled an online application form through the official website of the university.I had to paid around 100 CAD as the application fee.
Course Curriculum :
This course curriculum was just flexible and amazing.I had learn to use mathematical, computational, statistical and algorithmic techniques to solve analytically complex data problems.While pursuing this program I got engage in research and hands-on applications of data science in the classroom and through industrial projects, using cutting-edge techniques and algorithms.Overall it was a knowledgeable program.
I heard about this university from one of my maternal uncle, whose son did his bachelors from this university. He told me each and every thing about the selection criteria and difficulty level of the whole procedure. Even though I was in my 11th standard, I started my preparation under his tutelage. The application cost of my program was near around 100 CAD for one course.
Course Curriculum :
In my course curriculum, my core subjects were web design and development, programming methods, operating systems, artificial intelligence etc. It was a four year program in which I had the privilege to choose my elective subjects as per the rules. It had provided me a broad training in first two years of my course and then in further two successive years, there was a thorough training in computing science. In addition to it, I had learned here the general and specific scientific knowledge, and the analytical and research skills.
Since after completing my graduation in Mechanical engineering, I joined a company which deal with production of aero fasteners. I worked there for almost five years and saved sufficient amount for my MBA in Canada. Thereafter, when I came across the MBA program of this university, I found it under my budget and also liked the living culture of the city which I saw in the celebration ceremonies online.
Course Curriculum :
My optional subject were strategic management, advanced corporate finance, Innovation and entrepreneurship, and advance marketing management. Apart from them, there were several standard subjects in my course curriculum. All these subjects helped me in developing critical thinking skills as well as academic research skills.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary