Gregory Edward Abel
June 1, 1962
|Education||University of Alberta (BComm)|
|Title||Chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Energy|
Gregory Edward Abel (born June 1, 1962) is a Canadian businessman, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Energy, and vice-chairman of non-insurance operations of Berkshire Hathaway since January 2018.
Early life and education
Gregory Edward Abel was born on June 1, 1962 in Edmonton, Alberta. He earned a bachelor's degree in accounting from the University of Alberta in 1984 and is an AICPA certified public accountant.
Abel began his career working as a chartered accountant with PricewaterhouseCoopers in their San Francisco office. In 1992, he joined CalEnergy, a geothermal electricity producer. In 1999, CalEnergy acquired MidAmerican Energy, adopting its name, and Berkshire Hathaway acquired a controlling interest later that year. Abel became CEO of MidAmerican in 2008, and the company was renamed Berkshire Hathaway Energy in 2014.
Abel is also vice chairman of Edison Electric Institute, and a director of Associated Electric & Gas Insurance Services Limited, Kraft Heinz, Nuclear Electric Insurance Limited, the Hockey Canada Foundation, the Mid-Iowa Council Boy Scouts of America, and the American Football Coaches Foundation. He has been on the board of trustees at Duke University and at Drake University.
In May 2021, while speaking with partner Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett confirmed Abel as his future successor as CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Abel's handling of CalEnergy’s take-over of a British utility in the 1990s is credited to mark the start of this transition.
- "Edmonton-born Greg Abel picked as Warren Buffett's successor as Berkshire Hathaway CEO". CBC News. May 3, 2021. Retrieved May 3, 2021.
- Nelson, Jacqueline (May 14, 2014). "Warren Buffett's Canadian lieutenant eyes Alberta expansion". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "Executive Profile: Gregory Edward Abel". Bloomberg LP. Archived from the original on 11 January 2018. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Claman, Liz (2018-09-07). "Greg Abel: Holding a key to Buffett's Kingdom". FOXBusiness. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- Kim, Tae (10 January 2018). "Warren Buffett takes a step closer to naming a successor as Berkshire appoints Abel and Jain to board as vice chairs". CNBC. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Das, Anupreeta (28 February 2015). "Greg Abel: an Astute Deal Maker Who Shuns the Spotlight". WSJ. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- Jordan, Steve (11 January 2018). "New Berkshire Vice Chairman Gregory Abel called 'truly innovative' with 'great ideas'". Omaha World Herald. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- Platt, Eric (May 3, 2021). "Berkshire succession: Greg Abel confirmed as Warren Buffett's successor". The Financial Times. New York. Retrieved May 3, 2021.
- Huddleston, Tom. "What you need to know about Greg Abel — Warren Buffett's successor at Berkshire Hathaway". Retrieved 18 May 2021.