The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
PS5 Restock Update: Consoles Are Available At Walmart Right Now
March is here, but the PS5 isn't any easier to find in stock. Check online inventory and the latest PS5 restock news here.
Walmart has the PS5 and PS5 Digital edition in stock right now. Walmart's restock is following its usual pattern, with consoles being released in waves every 10 minutes until they sell out of the entire allotment. We recommend refreshing the store page right before the next restock time. The PS5 tends to sell out immediately during Walmart's restocks, so snagging one requires some luck.
Retailers in general have been restocking the PS5 sporadically, sometimes randomly and other times with pre-announced times. Being able to buy a PS5 is largely a matter of luck and timing, but there are ways to boost your chances of actually securing Sony's new console.
How to buy a PS5: Our best tips
- Follow restock accounts on Twitter and turn on notifications: Accounts like Wario64, Spiel Times, PS5 Restock Alert, and PS5 Stock Alerts will tweet when PlayStation Direct and other stores have PS5 stock, and turning on notifications will ensure you don't miss any news (however, note that accounts like Wario64 tweet about deals and non-PS5 news as well). Of course, we tweet PS5 restock information on our own account, GameSpot Deals, as well.
- Stay logged in at major retailers and ensure info is up to date: You don't want to get to checkout and have to update your address or payment information--in that time, the PS5 could sell out. Make sure your shipping and billing information is up to date at all major retailers, and stay logged in if possible.
- Be ready at exact restock times when announced beforehand: Walmart and GameStop have a history of announcing PS5 restocks ahead of time, anywhere from days beforehand to one hour prior. While this is convenient for hopeful buyers, it also gives scalpers time to prepare as well, so they can be the most frustrating restocks to deal with. That said, plenty of people do still have luck with these pre-announced restocks, so you'll want to be ready at your computer at the set time with payment information on hand.
- Keep an eye on smaller retailers: Amazon, Walmart, GameStop, Target, and Best Buy aren't the only retailers selling the PS5. If you're a Costco member, we've seen the PS5 pop up there, and the Exchange store sometimes has consoles available for members of the military. We've also seen the PS5 at Kohl's, Meijer, Newegg, and more, so don't think that you're limited to the big stores.
- Know whether you're willing to buy a bundle: Stores like GameStop and Antonline have been selling the PS5 bundled with an extra controller and other accessories and games for higher prices. While these bundles tend to be priced at the exact value of everything included, some of these bundles have items you may not actually want, so you'll have to determine whether the price is worth it for you. For what it's worth, we suggest waiting to buy the console at MSRP if possible, but if you're willing to buy a pricey bundle, you may have an easier time getting the PS5.
- Bookmark the product pages: It helps to know exactly where online retailers are selling the PS5, so bookmark the direct listings at Walmart, Best Buy, and more. We've included those links further down in this article.
When will PS5 stock stabilize?
In a recent earnings report, Sony confirmed it sold 4.5 million PS5 consoles from October to December. The company acknowledged the current PS5 shortages but promised to "do everything in our power" to make more PS5s available to consumers, adding that it's on track to sell 7.6 million PS5 units during the first fiscal year. However, the PS5 stock situation likely won't improve until this summer at the earliest. Microsoft recently admitted that Xbox Series X stock will be constrained through at least June, so we expect the same is true of the PS5.
PlayStation boss Jim Ryan recently responded to the PS5 stock situation in an interview with GQ. "I know there were people who wanted a PS5 and couldn't find one," he said. "We're very sorry about that and obviously grateful that demand has been as strong as it is." Ryan added that PlayStation is working to get more PS5 units in stock and that fans can expect PS5 stock to increase every month. "We have been relentless in terms of trying to increase production and I really can’t say any more than that."
Where to buy a PS5: Check availability
We're continuing to update this guide as PS5 units go on sale--you can check out the direct retail listings and last restock info at major retailers below. Per the tips above, you'll want to keep in mind whether you're willing to buy a pricey bundle or pay above MSRP for the PS5 itself, as third-party sellers like StockX are options as well. However, we do recommend waiting to buy the PS5 at MSRP (and not hundreds above list price).
PS5 availability at PlayStation Direct
PlayStation Direct regularly opens up a queue for shoppers to buy the PS5 (and anything else on the first-party site), but it's often over an hour wait and unclear if the PS5 is even available. Still, it's worth checking PS Direct often, as it's the only store still releasing the PS5 on a somewhat regular basis. However, the queues appear to also be somewhat random.
Note that finding a queue on PS Direct doesn't necessarily mean the PS5 is in stock; it simply indicates high traffic to the store. It never hurts to jump in and wait if you find the queue and you'll be at your computer for a while, but know there's no guarantee it'll be in stock by the time you get through.
PS5 availability at GameStop
There was a massive PS5 restock at GameStop on February 24, with both the PS5 and PS5 Digital available on their own and in bundles. The bundles managed to stay in stock for longer than we've seen prior, and it marked the biggest PS5 drop we've seen at GameStop so far this year. There's no word on when the next PS5 restock at GameStop could be.
PS5 availability at Walmart
Walmart will have the PS5 and PS5 Digital in stock on March 4 at 12 PM PT / 3 PM ET. It's the first major restock at the retailer in about a month.
PS5 availability at Best Buy
Best Buy's last PS5 restock was on February 19, and both consoles sold out within minutes. Best Buy didn't have any stock on store shelves throughout the entire holiday season, but the retailer has stated that consoles will be available in stores in 2021. We suggest checking with your local Best Buy store in case of availability.
PS5 availability at Target
Target's most recent restock was on February 25. Both the PS5 and PS5 Digital were available, but they sold it extremely quickly. We still suggest calling your local stores for availability. This is only the third PS5 restock we've seen at Target since launch.
PS5 availability at Amazon
Amazon has been the least reliable retailer when it comes to PS5 restocks--we've barely seen the next-gen console in stock there since launch. The most recent Amazon PS5 restock happened on March 3. We only saw the PS5 Digital in stock, and it was gone within a few minutes.
Where to buy PS5 accessories
- See PS5 accessories at Amazon
- See PS5 accessories at Best Buy
- See PS5 accessories at Walmart
- See PS5 accessories at GameStop
While the Pulse 3D wireless headset was difficult to buy for a few months, stock for Sony's first-party headset has now stabilized at most retailers. However, there are some fantastic third-party PS5 headsets worth considering too. Our personal favorite is the Razer BlackShark V2 Pro wireless headset; other great options include the SteelSeries Arctis 1 and the Astro A50. Any of your existing PS4 headsets should work, too.
Other official PS5 accessories, like the media remote and DualSense charging station, are still harder to find in stock than the headset, though availability is slowly starting to improve.
See more PS5 recommendations:
Where to buy PS5's biggest games
Quite a few PS5 games are available now, including launch titles like Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. Keep in mind that many PS4 games come with free next-gen upgrades have been discounted since launch, making them a better deal than buying the PS5 versions outright.
PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch And More Games Coverage