Kent-Meridian High School
|Kent Meridian High School|
10020 SE 256th Street
|School district||Kent School District|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||21.75|
|Color(s)||Red, white and blue|
Kent-Meridian High School is a high school located in Kent, Washington, United States, and part of the Kent School District. Kent-Meridian is one of four high schools in the Kent School District. It serves students in grades nine through twelve who live mainly in the south region of the district. Its principal is David Radford.
The school opened in its present form in 1951 when the Kent School District merged with the Panther Lake and Meridian School Districts. This new high school served all three districts. The former Kent High School building became Kent Junior High School.
Kent-Meridian is part of the Cascade Division of the North Puget Sound League as of the 2016-17 school year. Kent-Meridian High School's athletic teams are known as the Royals. Teams compete at French Field located next to the school.
Kent-Meridian uses a swimming pool which was built as a part of King County Forward Thrust which is now owned by the city of Kent.
Kent-Meridian won a track state championship in 2011, and finished second in 2009.
The Taylor Trophy is given to and kept by the winner of the yearly football rivalry between Auburn High School and Kent-Meridian dating back to 1908. Dr. Owen Taylor created the trophy presentation in 1929. Dr. Taylor owned the Kent hospital that was on Second Avenue and Gowe Street and he had a home on Scenic Hill. The rivalry is the second oldest football rivalry in Washington.
Kent-Meridian Technology Academy
Kent-Meridian is home to the Kent-Meridian Technology Academy. The KMTA is an innovative Small Learning Community that is part of Kent-Meridian, characterized by its utilization of project-based learning, STEAM, and 21st Century Skills.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (September 2017)
- Red Badgro, former MLB player (St. Louis Browns)
- Karl Best, former MLB player (Seattle Mariners, Minnesota Twins)
- John Bronson, NFL football player for the Arizona Cardinals, 2005-2007
- Morgan Christen, Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, appointed by Barack Obama
- Robin Earl, former Chicago Bears Running Back
- Jeff Jaeger, former NFL kicker
- Reggie Jones, attended (2001–04), NFL Cornerback (2009–10)
- PZ Myers, blogger.
- Robert L. Phillips, author, entrepreneur and professor.
- Dave Reichert, Congressman from Washington, former King County sheriff
- Jaleen Roberts, track and field athlete
- Kyle Townsend, Grammy and Academy Award nominated Record Producer
- "Kent-Meridian High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 24, 2021.
- "Meet Our Team / Staff Directory". Retrieved March 13, 2018.
- "Period of Rapid Growth (1950-Today)" Archived August 10, 2009, at the Wayback Machine Kent History: A Virtual Tour of Kent, Washington Retrieved July 12, 2006.
- Slater, Marcia. "Curriculum Management Audit:History of Kent School District Archived September 23, 2006, at the Wayback Machine December 1998. Retrieved July 12, 2006.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 19, 2016. Retrieved August 12, 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Longoria, Ruth. "Reichert to seek reelection" Mercer Island Reporter July 6, 2006. Retrieved July 12, 2006.