Erez in concert
|Born||26 December 1989|
|Origin||Tel Aviv, Israel|
Noga Erez (Hebrew: נגה ארז; born 26 December 1989) is an Israeli singer, songwriter and producer. In 2017 her song "Dance While You Shoot" was used by Apple in an advertising campaign for its music streaming service. In the same year she released her debut album, Off The Radar to critical acclaim.
She grew up in Caesarea from the age of six and studied composition at the Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance. Through her childhood and while growing up she explored different instruments and studied different styles of music. She was a part of different groups and ensembles as a vocalist, keyboardist and percussionist. She served as a military musician during her conscription in the Israeli Defence Forces.
In 2011 Erez worked on a jazz album, which she almost finished and decided to scrap and move to writing and producing electronic music.
On stage, Erez performs as a three-piece-band with herself on vocals, Ori Rousso (sampler, synthesizer) and Jacobovitz Ran (electronic drums, percussion).
Erez's first single, "Toy" received a rave review from The New York Times: “the Israeli singer and electronic-music producer Noga Erez gives ‘Toy’ a beat that jitters and heaves, ratchets across the stereo field, speeds up fitfully and stops for a moment of dead silence halfway through the song; the melodies are brief modal phrases hinting at Middle Eastern origins... It's a sparse, thorny, unstable track — and haunting, too.”
Erez produced her first record "Off The Radar", which was released 2 June 2017 via City Slang, with her partner Ori Rousso. This release was followed by festival shows at Primavera, SXSW, Pitchfork Paris, Roskilde, MELT! Visions Festival, Convergence and Great Escape in 2017. She also toured the UK and Europe in 2017.
Erez's musical style draws influences from alternative, electronic music, and sample-based hip hop, but is also strongly influenced by political circumstances both in her country and globally, though she has been reticent to describe her work as political. In an interview with the Guardian, Erez describes her songs as her way to “process the issues that bother me about the world”. Her music also references her musical influences such as Flying Lotus, Björk, Frank Ocean or Kendrick Lamar. With a mix of drum computers, synthesizers, and vocals she describes the chaos in the environment she grew up with, through bass-heavy and danceable tunes.
02/06/2017 - Off The Radar
- "Noga Erez". Discogs. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- Apple's Weakness for Israeli Singers and What It Says About Selling Digital Music Haaretz. 7 November 2017
- Flying above the radar: an interview with Noga Erez TimeOut. 3 August 2017
- "Apple Music ad features electronic sound of Israeli musician Noga Erez". Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- Hutchinson, Kate (14 May 2017). "Noga Erez: 'I get told by people not to talk about what is happening in Israel'". the Guardian. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- Lerner, Rebecca. "Under 30 Musician Noga Erez Is A Rising Star In Israel's EDM Scene". Forbes. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- Just Off The Radar The Jerusalem Post. 28 March 2017
- "Tel Aviv's Fearless Noga Erez and Her New Song "Off the Radar"". Noisey. 4 April 2017. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "Noga Erez Imagines A Dystopia Where The Hand-People Judge Us All". NPR.org. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "Noga Erez shares a new video for 'Balkada'". DIY. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "Noga Erez is making music with a vision out of Tel Aviv, and she doesn't have a Plan B - Loud And Quiet". Loud And Quiet. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "Noga Erez Imagines A Dystopia Where The Hand-People Judge Us All".
- "INTERVIEW:ON THE RADAR: NOGA EREZ".
- "Noga Erez @ ARTE Concert Festival".
- "Noga Erez is making music with a vision out of Tel Aviv, and she doesn't have a Plan B".
- "Noga Erez Off The Radar".