Mar 18, 2021 - May 27, 2021
Grand Rapids - Cook Center
Learn to build collaboration, promote trust, and empower your employees to achieve results. Davenport University’s management certificate develops the core skills necessary to increase the productivity and performance of your teams.
Certificate of Management – Davenport University 12-week Management Training
In this management course, you will learn about the continuous rhythm of management: setting expectations, monitoring performance, and providing feedback. Improve skills in communication, motivating employees, problem solving, and conflict management to create high impact teams. The management certificate includes a DISC assessment, live instruction sessions with breakout discussions, and resources to support learning throughout the program. Participants also have continued e-Learning Management Toolkit access for 12-months and a free follow-up Impact Series course (included in the cost of the program).
The Certificate of Management is offered in an instructor-led online format (using Blackboard Collaborate) and in-seat at our Davenport University campuses in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Midland, and Detroit.
Management certificate topics include:
1. Defining the Leader in You (+DISC) We all possess different management strengths and attributes. In this management training, participants learn to utilize the DISC behavioral model to identify DISC styles in others and themselves. And how to tap into different strengths based on the interaction.
2. Communicating Without Confusion Good managers are also good communicators. Learn to turn strategy into action by connecting with your teams. In this management training, you will learn to use active listening, persuasion, and negotiation to improve communication.
3. Impacting Motivation Effective leaders improve team performance and confidence by understanding individuals’ motivation to perform. Learn how to assess the situation to determine what kind of leadership will motivate your employees.
4. Problem Solving for Business As a manger, it is common to be stuck in a situation without a clear solution. Learn to identify the underlying issues of the problem - not the symptoms - to identify and resolve issues.
5. Embracing Conflict Conflicts can tear teams apart and managers need to work to help resolve differences quickly and promote cooperation. Learn to identify types of conflict and identify a resolution to increase trust and credibility on your team.
6. Creating High Impact Teams Leaders in high-performance teams know how to create energy and enthusiasm. Team members feel inspired. In this management training, you will learn to recognize and utilize key elements that move teams from involvement to empowerment.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Build an understanding of different management styles to be successful in a leadership role
- Use assertive communication, minimize passive and aggressive communication, and use active listening to ensure that goals clearly communicated
- Identify the preferred communication style of others, and adapt your style accordingly
- Recognize behavioral styles and appropriate motivators associated with each style and distinguish between hygiene and motivation factors and use each appropriately
- Determine the business requirements necessary for solving problems and make decisions based on data
- Identify both healthy and unhealthy conflict and use techniques and tools to initiate and hold difficult conversations to manage conflict
- Recognize how others can best contribute to a team and draw those attributes out of team members to build an effective team culture
- Use the foundational coaching model, GROW, to help team members solve their own problems and enhance team dynamics
How the Organization Benefits
- Companies with talented managers experience greater profitability, increased productivity, and higher employee engagement
- Managers who are proactive problem solvers look beyond the status quo to improve, evolve and deliver
- Strong leaders are able to give employees clear guidelines to achieve their goals
How the Individual Benefits
- Leadership skills are transferable and put you one-step ahead of the competition
- Gain skills to better understand different perspectives, manage conflicts, and build working relationships
- Improve your self-awareness; it is what separates high-performers from their peers
Who Should Attend?
Davenport University’s management certificate is for any professional looking to improve leadership and management skills, including but not limited to:
- Managers, supervisors, and team leaders who need to learn to lead in today's complex environment or those who might be facing new challenges
- Experienced managers taking on new leadership responsibilities
- Professionals recently promoted into a management position