Chelsea have endured a difficult time under Frank Lampard. The English manager took charge as caretaker manager last month but has registered just one win across competitions. His team next face Manchester United at Old Trafford on Thursday (May 25).
Meanwhile, attacker Kai Havertz is likely to stay at Stamford Bridge. Elsewhere, the Blues are interested in Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez. On that note, here's a look at the key Chelsea transfer stories as on May 23, 2023:
Kai Havertz likely to stay
The German forward has endured a difficult season but has managed nine goals and an assist in 45 games across competitions. The 23-year-old has blown hot and cold since joining the Blues in 2020 and is linked with an exit this summer.
Bayern Munich are eager to secure his services, with manager Thomas Tuchel reportedly planning a reunion with him at the Allianz Arena. However, speaking to Give Me Sport, Jones said that despite failing to impress under Lampard, Havertz is likely to stay in London.
"Havertz hasn't been totally convincing in Lampard's time at the club. There's still some question as to whether he stays at Chelsea for next season. The signs I've got at the moment are that he probably will stay," said Jones.
Mauricio Pochettino's arrival could help the 23-year-old get back to his best.
Chelsea eyeing Lautaro Martinez
Chelsea have turned their attention to Lautaro Martinez, according to The Daily Mail.
The Blues are looking to bolster their attack, with the current crop failing to impress this season. A new No. 9 is at the top of the club's agenda, with neither Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang nor Romelu Lukaku expected to last beyond the summer.
Reported incoming manager Mauricio Pochettino is likely to ask for a new frontman to lead the line ahead of the new season. The Argentinean could eye a reunion with Harry Kane at Stamford Bridge, but prising him away from Tottenham Hotspur could be a challenge. Victor Osimhen is also an option for the London giants, but Napoli are expected to demand above £100 million for his services.
Martinez has emerged as a more realistic option for Chelsea. The Argentinean has been in a good run of form with Inter Milan, registering 25 goals and ten assists in 53 games across competitions this season. The Nerazzurri's financial woes are well documented, so they could be convinced to offload their star man with a suitable bid.
Blues could offload Kalidou Koulibaly this summer, says Paul Brown
The Blues could offload Kalidou Koulibaly this summer if they receive a suitable bid, according to transfer insider Paul Brown.
The Senegalese defender has failed to live up to expectations since arriving at Stamford Bridge last summer. The 31-year-old has helped register 11 clean sheets in 32 games across competitions for the Blues this season.
Speaking to Give Me Sport, Brown said that Koulibaly will want to continue his association with the London giants beyond the summer.
"I don't think he'd be willing to leave Chelsea on a low. I've seen a lot of talk that maybe Chelsea would make him available this summer, and I'm sure if a club came in with a big offer for him, it would be considered," said Brown.
"But I genuinely don't think that Koulibaly would want to go, and I don't think what's happened at Napoli would have a big impact on him. I'm sure he's glad they've won the title, but he made his decision to leave, and I don't think he regrets it."
Koulibaly is likely to struggle for first-team opportunities next season, as Chelsea will be able to call upon the likes of Wesley Fofana, Benoit Badiashile and Levi Colwill.