This company is not yet accredited. See reviews below to learn more or submit your own review.
Medifast is ideal for dieters who haven’t gotten results from a traditional healthy meal plan or are considering surgery to achieve weight loss. Medifast is a simple weight loss program that features five meal replacement items and one meal per day. It includes options for support through support groups and health coaches.
Medifast helps dieters lose weight at a steady pace. Products aren’t sold in grocery stores, but you can get free shipping. Medifast provides a free meal planner, access to a support coach and an online weight tracker.
- Weight loss tracker
- One-on-one counseling with coaches
- Free online meal planner
- Options for vegetarians, diabetics
- Not available in grocery stores
- Expensive products
… If you follow it exactly and make a pact with yourself to be different expect to lose 2 LBS a week. After you hit your weight loss goals and feel like a new person, remember as soon as you go back to your old ways you will look like your old self, maybe worse …Read full review
I could have never imagined that this could have changed the way I eat and want to eat so drastically and in such short period of time. Even with the changes that my doctor insisted on, I am down by 20 pounds ...Read full review
What is Medifast?
The Medifast program has three weight loss plans with three phases each and more than 70 meal replacements to choose from. In addition to eating five meal replacement items each day, users have a meal of lean meat and nonstarchy vegetables each day.
Dieters who choose Medifast as their weight loss program enjoy access to weight loss counseling and support, weight loss maintenance programming and perks like digital food trackers and free or cheap shipping.
Medifast has three weight loss programs designed to keep you satisfied while helping you achieve weight loss over the course of several weeks. Each program has options to help you hit particular health goals.
- Medifast Go ($451/month): The Medifast Go program features a 30-day kit with meals that help burn fat and aid in weight loss. These include 154 Medifast meals with a wide variety of on-the-go and low-prep options, a startup guide, a 30-day food journal, a Medifast blender bottle and a Medifast dining out guide. Among the foods in this plan are soup, pudding, pretzel sticks, shakes, oatmeal, bars, mashed potatoes and marinara sauce.
- Medifast Achieve ($478.30/month): Medifast Achieve includes 126 meals, 21 bags of crunchy snacks and a 30-day supply of Heart Health and Digestive Health supplements. Bonus items include 13 “lean and green” meal options, a Medifast blender bottle, a Medifast dining out guide, popcorn, crisps and strawberry lemonade flavor infusers. Some items are only included in the first Medifast Achieve meal plan.
- Medifast Thrive ($325.90/month): Designed for healthy weight maintenance, Medifast Thrive plans include two “lean and green” meal options, smoothie packets, shakes, yogurt bars and chocolate bars. Items in the Thrive kit are portable and convenient and offer various health benefits, such as necessary protein and fiber. After you complete your weight loss goals, using Thrive is a great way to maintain results.
How does Medifast work?
Medifast provides five prepackaged meal replacements to help consumers lose weight. Medifast meals are low-calorie and low-fat and designed to make you feel satisfied. Medifast bars, for example, contain 24 vitamins and minerals, 11 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber and 13 grams of carbohydrates.
The Medifast food list includes items like shakes, bars, oatmeal, pudding, soups, salads and scrambled eggs, plus “lean and green” meals that feature healthy proteins and three servings of vegetables. Greasy, fried or sugary foods are not permitted on the Medifast program.
Medifast is clinically proven. A Nutrition Journal study showed that dieters who adhered to the Medifast program achieved meaningful weight loss, and the study concluded that customers' “mean body weight decreased steadily and significantly.”
- How much does Medifast cost?
- Medifast costs between $325 and $480 per person for a four-week supply.
- Is Medifast safe?
- Medifast is usually safe. Plans feature replacement shakes, soups, bars and simple meals that provide between 800 and 1,000 calories daily. People with special nutrition requirements or who are breastfeeding or have certain health conditions can still benefit from a Medifast program. Those considering Medifast should consult with their doctor before beginning a plan, and some should complete the program under the supervision of their doctor.
- How much weight can I lose on Medifast?
- Medifast is designed to help people lose between 1 and 5 pounds per week. How much weight you lose on Medifast largely depends on how committed you are to the program.
- What is Medifast food made of?
- Ingredients in Medifast food include soy protein isolate, cocoa, whey protein concentrate, modified corn starch, soy lecithin, salt and corn syrup solids plus natural and artificial flavors. Medifast meals include shakes, soups and bars.
- Can you buy Medifast in stores?
- No, you can’t buy Medifast in stores. Medifast is currently only available through the company's website. Some people try to resell Medifast products on classified advertisement websites like Craigslist. It’s smart to purchase products only through the Medifast website to ensure you’re receiving the correct product and program information.
- Does Medifast cause cancer?
- No, there are no studies or scientific literature that indicate Medifast directly causes cancer.
- What snacks can I have on Medifast?
- Medifast snack options vary by plan, but permitted snacks include brownies, shakes, oatmeal, pudding, celery stalks, a half-ounce of nuts, a sugar-free popsicle or sugar-free gum. Some plans allow vegetables and lean proteins for snacking as well.
- Is Medifast safe for people with diabetes?
- Yes, Medifast is safe for people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Medifast meals have balanced nutrition and low glycemic index measures and emphasize portion-controlled eating at regular intervals throughout each day.
- What can I drink on Medifast?
- You can drink water and coffee on Medifast, but no alcohol. You can have regular coffee with one tablespoon of low-fat or fat-free creamer, half-and-half, skim milk or sugar-free flavorings. Additionally, the company offers low-calorie latte and cappuccino alternatives.
- What is the difference between Medifast and Optavia?
- Optavia is a subsidiary of Medifast. Medifast and Optavia products are similarly designed to help clients achieve their optimal weight loss goals. Optavia permits some food items that Medifast doesn't, like macaroni and cheese, and is priced higher than Medifast's monthly programs.
- How much exercise does the Medifast diet require?
- Medifast recommends completing around 30 minutes of moderate exercise each day while you're on a Medifast plan. It's also important to maintain proper fluid intake, particularly on hot days. Medifast suggests listening to your body and only doing what it allows. It's OK to stop exercise and rest if you become lightheaded or faint.
Does Medifast work?
Consumers who follow the Medifast program can benefit from losing weight in a reasonable, effective manner. Most consumers who use Medifast do see results from completing a program, though results vary by program and person. Studies indicate some participants regained some of the weight they lost after reintroducing regular foods to their diets.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
I get an email that my Optavia reorder will process in 7 days. I simply go into their site, log on and change the date for my next shipment if I don't want it at that time. I'm not sure why all of the reviews I've read complaining about getting orders they don't know about are happening. Maybe speak to your coach and tell them you aren't receiving those reminders?
So I’ve only been using the Medifast/Optavia program for two months. So far...so good. I know how to eat and lose weight. This is just an easy way to do it after a long illness that was a cause of weight gain.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
I purchased an Optavia kit in June 2019. Optavia is actually made by Medifast. The coach who made this purchase for me, did not tell me that I also signed up for monthly shipments. Much of what was sent I did not like and so I ate what I liked and somewhat liked and used real food (healthy options to substitute and get me through the first month. About 3 weeks after I had received my first order I noticed another charge of about $400 on my credit card. I was disgusted to find another shipment was made without my knowledge on top of all the product I had left which I did not like. I am retired and live on a limited income so $400 was a lot but it was a complete waste if I did not use it. I am writing this after reading that someone had product that was sent to them which was melted and Optavia did nothing about.
I do not know what their complete return policy is, but I do know after calling the company about the second order that was shipped without my knowledge that a new customer has a 30 day guarantee! I know this because unbelievably they told me to return everything back to them that I did not like. I boxed it up and shipped it back. I had opened the boxes of everything I returned and tried at least one. I paid for the shipping to return it but saw a credit for many times more than the shipping cost on my credit card. If you have any doubts about what I am telling you I suggest you call the company first! This was my experience! They also either stopped my second order from shipping or stopped it in route and I was refunded for that as well.
After that frustration it has been full speed ahead! I ordered my first order myself and ordered what I liked and a couple of new things. I do this now every month. I order for a month and get it shipped free. I am not sure what you actually have to order to get free shipping. Although I got off to a rough start, this company has been fabulous to work with. Knowing what you like is very important and somewhat critical to success for many of us. I wish Optavia would send a first kit with 2 of everything for a first order. Once we know what we really like we could then get a first order with multiple boxes that would last for a month. That is all I have for suggestions.
Fast Forward... 3.5 months. I did not let the initial start stop me, probably because this company made everything right by me. I am so grateful for that as I am not sure I would have continued if things had not played out like they did. I am 60 years old and was about 40 pounds overweight. I have medical problems from past injuries, autoimmune issues and a few others. My doctor thought this diet/life change would be a good start. My doctor insisted I make a few changes however so I include a slice of Florida avocado and all fruits and vegetable except for ones with the highest carbs. I also include a small handful of nuts each day usually in a salad that is more colorful than a GAY PRIDE PARADE (no offence meant). I seem to not really even care for meat like I once did and am happy with fruits and vegetables on most days. Except for my Optavia I have turned into a raw foodie..
I could have never imagined that this could have changed the way I eat and want to eat so drastically and in such short period of time. Even with the changes that my doctor insisted on, I am down by 20 pounds.. Wow.. Yay! I have not seen this on my scale in about 10 years! I am now not even sure that I should go down another 20 but I am still working it and will decide with my doctor after 15 more is gone. I have no doubts I will do this! I hope you see that I have included both my good and bad experiences here. If you need to lose weight and take it off for good with healthier eating habits, I suggest you give this a try. If you know someone that is using Optavia, you might even try to purchase one of everything that they have to get a better idea of what you will like and not like before you have boxes of them sent to you.
MY FAVORITES... Strawberry shakes, Dark Chocolate with cherry shake, Cheesy Buttermilk Mac & Cheese, Cinnamon Cream Cheese Swirl Cake, vegetable chili, Honey Mustard Sticks, Cinnamon Sugar Sticks, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits, Decadent Brownies, Red Berry Crunchy O's, Cinnamon Crunchy O's, Peanut Butter Bars, Drizzled Mint Chocolate Bars, Lemon Bars. It is no wonder I was overweight. I appear I still like sweets but with Optavia, these are for the most part just over 100 calories each and they are sweetened with stevia. Optavia/Medifast did right by me and I hope it is the solution you are searching for!
VISA, MC Gift unreloadable cards are not allowed, because credit card info is automatically SAVED without your consent. They told me it was Visa Gift card company, so I called and was advised it's not them. They verified the card amount for the purchase, you need to tell them not to save the card. I'm like what I did not ask them to, nor was there a box to confirm to save. Medifast refused to UN SAVE the card for the order to go through.
Order Kit for the first time. Changed kit preferences and foods that would be ordered. Got an email confirmation. When the kit came it was the prepicked foods in the kit. Called Medifast on 5/21. Was on hold for over an hour and on the phone for almost two hours. First they wanted me to pay to return products. Then they were going to send me a shipping label and then I could reorder the products, but were going to give me the first time buyer discount. Finally they agreed to send me a shipping label and still allow me to call back and get the discount to reorder, but would have to wait 5-7 days on the shipping label and then for the products to be returned before I could place the new order. Never got shipping label. Calling again today 6/3. Been on hold currently for over 30 mins. Will NEVER use this company or recommend this company to anyone. Very dissatisfied.
- 2,344,873 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
I lost over 100 pounds with Medifast several years ago. It was perfect for me because I could grab one of these bars and I was set. I never felt like I wasn't getting nutrients, I didn't have crashes, and it just worked. I continued to order the bars, mostly for convenience and maintenance, but I have ordered my last box. I started to notice that, after they started coming in an Optavia box, they not only didn't taste as good, they caused tons of gas and I started to have crashes and feel like I was not getting the nutrition I needed.
As time went on, I would get a little sick after eating them, maybe every other bar or so. Finally, I ate one this morning and, 2 hours later, here comes the food poisoning. I have always reacted to bad food more quickly than the average person, so yes, it was the Medifast bar. I don't know what Optavia did to the Medifast products, but I would say Medifast is done. It's a shame, too. Medifast has helped a lot of people, only to be ruined by what is likely corporate greed.
They’re terrible. I ordered a kit online for approximately $400 and customized my kit with the foods I knew I’d actually eat. What actually arrived was a bunch of gross food I didn’t pick. I called to try to return the food & have to pay shipping for their mistake!! Customer service is terrible, food is terrible, website is old fashioned & terrible. Buyer beware.
Helps you lose weight, but leads to lifelong problems. Medifast helped me lose 115 pounds. It also left me with a crippling eating-disorder from which I am struggling to pick up the pieces. When I started Medifast back in 2016, I weighed 285 pounds. I needed a lifestyle change. I chose Medifast, mainly because of the name. I had 4 small 110 calorie "meals" a day and a sensible dinner. My average calorie intake on a daily basis was probably less than a little over 1000. I saw the weight start to pour off, so I got more motivated to "stick with it". Eventually I started getting positive comments like, "You look great!" and "What's your secret?" I got down to 170 pounds, was in by best shape ever and started loosening the reigns from my restrictive eating behavior.
Around this time, the binges began and I became overwhelmingly obsessed with food. I was either eating as few calories as I could, or I was eating until I almost threw up. The frequency of my overeating increased and so I tried everything to curb my appetite, diet pills, protein shakes, coffee, books, even hypnotherapy. None of it worked. I was in constant agony because of how I felt and how I had put on 45 pounds of the weight I had lost. I know that Medifast did this to me. It is deplorable that this company and others market themselves as healthy dieting options when in reality there is no healthy dieting option. I'm just learning this now, but it is a pain I will continue to struggle with my entire life. Stay away from Medifast. Stay far, far away...
I have used this product in the past with really good results. I have to say the food isn’t very good but it works if you can stand it. My second order comes as an auto ship. They did an email at 2 am Sunday night. I call Monday morning to cancel my order and they said no problem it’s canceled. Nope 3 days later I have a box at the front door. It’s Medifast and With all the wrong food. I have never ordered any of this stuff. So I call to get a return label and Find out... I have to pay to return their wrong order! No way am I ever ever going to use this company again. The guy in customer service said he try to explain to upper management and try and give out a paid return slip to me. Are you kidding me???? I paid postage to get it to me and now I have to pay postage to send it back!!! ITS NOT WORTH IT!!! Stay away far far away!
In reading reviews which I wish I would have BEFORE I ordered it's the same thing across the board. The auto-ship is a scam for sure. You get an email that you are about to get an auto-ship that by the way I did not sign up for. I immediately call them within 10 minutes of the email and they tell me they stopped it. The girl on the phone said "we just don't sign people up for auto-ships Ma'am". I argued that I knew nothing about it! 2 hours later I get I get another email stated that my order shipped out. I call back again and they tell me it can't be stopped. These people that answer the phone have nothing to do with Optavia or Medifast. They are strictly order takers. Try to get your money back OR your shipping fees back! What a joke!
Medifast Company Information
- Company Name: