Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.
|Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||52 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original network||Disney XD|
|Original release||August 11, 2013 –|
June 28, 2015
|Preceded by||The Incredible Hulk (1996 TV series)|
Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. is an American animated television series based on the superhero character by Marvel Comics. The series premiered on August 11, 2013, on Disney XD in its Marvel Universe block, and ended on June 28, 2015.
The story is told from the perspective of an online reality show created by Rick Jones to foster public acceptance of the Hulk as a hero and not a monster. The "show" is filmed by robotic flying cameras that accompany the Agents of the Supreme Military Agency of Super Humans (S.M.A.S.H.) everywhere they go, resulting in humorous vignettes and visual gags throughout each episode.
Hulk, She-Hulk, Red Hulk, A-Bomb, and Skaar come together as the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. to tackle threats that no other superheroes can face. The Agents of S.M.A.S.H. have their base near the town of Vista Verde (where Bruce Banner first became Hulk) and often face various threats with a recurring one being from Hulk's archenemy Leader (who holds the key to Skaar's origin).
In Season Two, upon their return to Earth following their fights with the Kree and the Skrull, the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. are hunted by S.H.I.E.L.D. and the military (which now have Hulkbuster technology) following the incident caused by the Leader's Agents of C.R.A.S.H. After proving their innocence, the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. will later have to deal the Leader traveling back in time to alter history, followed by an invasion led by the Supreme Intelligence and the Kree Armada in the wake of the incarceration of Ronan the Accuser.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||26||August 11, 2013||December 3, 2014|
|2||26||October 12, 2014||June 28, 2015|
- Fred Tatasciore – Hulk / Bruce Banner
- Seth Green – A-Bomb / Rick Jones
- Eliza Dushku – She-Hulk / Jennifer Walters
- Clancy Brown – Red Hulk / Thunderbolt Ross
- Benjamin Diskin – Skaar
- James Arnold Taylor – Leader
Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. was unveiled at the 2011 San Diego Comic Con. Pre-production was outsourced to Karactaz Animation of Wellington, New Zealand. Film Roman was contracted to produce. Before it aired, writers Paul Dini and Henry Gilroy were confirmed to be writing for the series. Supervising Producer Cort Lane described the series as, "a great story about a great group of characters who have a really interesting family-style dynamic. It's very funny, with just the most amazing voice cast." On July 26, 2014, Disney XD renewed the series for a second season.
On July 12, 2015, Stephen Wacker, Vice President of Marvel Animation confirmed that the series had ended after the second season.
Jesse Schedeen of IGN gave the show's premiere a "Mediocre" score of 5.8 out of 10, panning the show's reliance on variations of the same slapstick gags and breaking of the fourth wall, which came at the expense of dramatic weight. Schedeen surmised that this material was targeted to an audience of boys age 6–12, and stated that the material could have been catered to an all-ages audience that included adults as well. Schedeen summarized the show as "a disappointing new addition to Disney XD's growing Marvel lineup."
- Lowry, Brian (August 5, 2013). "Review: 'Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of SMASH'". Variety. Retrieved October 26, 2015.
- Milligan, Mercedes (April 18, 2012). "Dushku is She-Hulk in New Disney XD Show". Animation Magazine. Retrieved October 26, 2015.
- Ng, Philiana (March 8, 2013). "Disney XD's 'Avengers Assemble,' 'Hulk' Get Premiere Dates". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Sands, Rich. "Disney XD Picks Up Marvel Cartoons Featuring the Avengers and the Hulk". TV Guide. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- "How to fail upwards!".
- Goldman, Eric (April 17, 2012). "Eliza Dushku Will S.M.A.S.H. as She-Hulk". IGN. Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- "Doorway to Destruction Pt. 2". Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. Season 1. Episode 2. August 11, 2013. Disney XD.
- "Comic-Con: Hulk Smashes New Team Cartoon". IGN.com. July 23, 2011.
- McNicol, Hamish (April 29, 2013). "Animation company does Hulking job". stuff.co.nz. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Things Get Personal For Ultimate Spider-Man in Season 2. newsarama.com.
- Khatchatourian, Maane (July 26, 2014). "Disney XD Renews Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble,' 'Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.'". Variety. Retrieved July 28, 2014.
- "How to fail upwards!".
- "TELETOON Canada Inc. - TELETOON Canada's Comedy-Filled Lineup Delivers Warm Laughter this Winter". newswire.ca. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Higgins, D (April 8, 2014). "New this week on Foxtel: Game of Thrones, Veep, Silicon Valley and two new Disney channels". Foxtel Community. Foxtel. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Schedeen, Jesse (August 11, 2013). "It's Hulk Without the pathos". IGN.