Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Christopher Landon|
|Produced by||Jason Blum|
|Music by||Bear McCreary|
|Edited by||Ben Baudhuin|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Freaky is a 2020 American slasher comedy film directed by Christopher Landon, from a screenplay by Landon and Michael Kennedy, and starring Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton, Katie Finneran, Celeste O'Connor, and Alan Ruck. The film tells the story of a high school student who unintentionally switches bodies with a serial killer. Jason Blum serves as a producer under his Blumhouse Productions banner.
Freaky premiered at Beyond Fest on October 8, 2020, and is scheduled to be released theatrically in the United States on November 13, 2020, by Universal Pictures.
Tormented high school student Millie Kessler (Kathryn Newton) becomes the newest target of the Blissfield Butcher (Vince Vaughn), an infamous serial killer, during her senior year. When the killer's magic dagger causes her to swap bodies with him, Kessler discovers she has only a day to reverse the switch or else remain trapped as a middle-aged murderer hunted by the city, while the real killer – in her body – targets her classmates at Homecoming.
- Vince Vaughn as the Blissfield Butcher, an aging serial killer famous for having never been caught. He and Millie trade bodies due to a mystical curse associated with his dagger.
- Kathryn Newton as Millie Kessler, a tormented high school student who unintentionally trades bodies with the Blissfield Butcher.
- Katie Finneran
- Celeste O'Connor as Nyla, Millie's friend
- Alan Ruck
- Misha Osherovich as Josh, Millie's gay friend
- Uriah Shelton as Booker, Millie's crush
- Radhesh Aria
- Dana Drori
In early August 2019, it was announced that Christopher Landon would write and direct a new horror film, with Jason Blum serving as a producer under his Blumhouse Productions banner. Specific plot details were not revealed, but the story would reportedly follow a violent figure wreaking havoc in a small town. Production was expected to begin in October in Atlanta, Georgia, and there was some speculation it could be a reboot of Scream. However, Landon later debunked rumors that the film was a remake of Scream, stating that the upcoming project was to be an original story taking inspiration from Mary Rodgers's Freaky Friday.
Later in August, it was announced that Kathryn Newton and Vince Vaughn had joined the cast of the film, with the screenplay being written by Landon and Michael Kennedy. In October 2019, Uriah Shelton, Alan Ruck, Katie Finneran, Celeste O'Connor and Misha Osherovich joined the cast of the film.
Freaky had its world premiere at Beyond Fest on October 8, 2020. The film is scheduled to be released in theaters on November 13, 2020, before being made available via video on demand on December 4, 2020.
- "2020 Films Beyond Fest – Freaky". Beyond Fest. Retrieved October 4, 2020.
- Bruggerman, Tom (October 2, 2020). "As Bond Vacates 2020, Universal Offers Theaters Short Windows on The Croods and Freaky". IndieWire. Retrieved October 2, 2020.
- N'Duka, Amanda (August 29, 2019). "Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton Topline Chris Landon Body-Swapping Blumhouse Thriller". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- Fisher, Jacob (2019-08-05). "Christopher Landon Set To Write & Direct New Horror Film For Blumhouse (EXCLUSIVE)". DiscussingFilm. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- Cavanaugh, Patrick (August 14, 2019). "Happy Death Day Director Offers an Update on His Upcoming Blumhouse Project". ComicBook. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- Galuppo, Mia (October 23, 2019). "'Looking for Alaska' Actor Uriah Shelton Joins Blumhouse Body Swap Movie". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 24, 2019). "'Succession' Star Alan Ruck, Katie Finneran & More Join Chris Landon Blumhouse Film". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- "Georgia film and TV production at 36 in November, down from 43 in November 2018". AJC. November 12, 2019. Retrieved November 12, 2019.
- "Day 1 - AND SO IT BEGINS!! #bodyswap". Instagram. October 21, 2019. Retrieved November 12, 2019.
- "Day 35 - THE LAST DAY. Gonna miss all these people... 😭 #bodyswap". Instagram. December 12, 2019. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
- "Beyond Fest Brings Freaky, Archenemy, Possessor, Saint Maud and More to the Drive-In This October". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (September 10, 2020). "Universal Sets Blumhouse Body-Swap Movie Freaky For Fall Theatrical Release". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 10, 2020.