Update for October 26: Multiple Public Health Authorities’ Advisories and Orders issued by the Marin County Health Department, San Francisco City and County Health Department, and San Mateo County Health Department continue to be in effect. We ask the public to please recreate safely and responsibly.
Visitors should read their local health orders and review the appropriate health order for the county they intend to visit (if different) before planning to come to the park.
The park will offer very limited services outside those that support visitor or resource protection. Park rangers remain on duty protecting the parks and normal rules and regulations continue to apply. To protect NPS and contractor employees very limited trash and restroom services exist. The NPS urges visitors to continue to practice social distancing and Leave No Trace principles, including pack-in and pack-out, to keep outdoor spaces safe.
We are working to increase access to the park in a phased approach. In order to comply with local and state health authorities, many sites, services and operations remain closed until further notice. The status of sites and facilities will be updated as health orders change. While some listed areas are accessible for visitors to enjoy, a return to full operations will continue to be phased, and services may be limited. You can follow the park's advisory Twitter account @GGNRANPSAlerts for the latest updates.
Marin County OPEN (Special thank you to our partners at Marin County):
San Francisco County OPEN:
- Upper Fort Mason parking
- Lower Fort Mason (near Fort Mason Center for the Arts)
Crissy Field - East Beach parking
- Crissy Field - West Bluff parking
Long Avenue and Fort Point parking
- Battery East parking
- Langdon Court parking
- Baker Beach parking
- China Beach parking
- Navy Memorial parking
Merrie Way parking (Sutro Baths area)
- Sutro Heights parking
- Ocean Beach parking (City and County of San Francisco owned lots)
- Sloat Boulevard parking at Ocean Beach
- Fort Funston parking
- Alcatraz Island has reopened as a primarily outdoor experience. The interior of the New Industries Building, including the Red Power Exhibit has reopened. The interior of the Cellhouse is still closed due to construction until further notice. Please visit our concessionaire's webpage for additional details: https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/tour-options/alcatraz-day-tour/
- Fort Point National Historic Site reopening for outdoor experiences, however interior sections of building will remain closed. Visit website for more details: https://www.nps.gov/fopo/index.htm
Park sites or facilities that encourage congregating, including visitor centers, remain closed to help slow the spread of the virus.
Marin County CLOSED Sites and Facilities:
San Francisco County CLOSED Sites and Facilities:
San Mateo County CLOSED Sites and Facilities:
Additional Areas Not Managed by the National Park Service:
All other outdoor spaces and trails at Golden Gate National Recreation Area not listed above remain accessible to the public and open for use.
The NPS asks visitors to adhere to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local public health authorities to protect visitors and employees.