Steven C. Miller
Steven C. Miller is an American screenwriter, editor, and director. His feature film debut, Automaton Transfusion, became an instant cult classic and catapulted his career into Hollywood. He directed the remake of Silent Night, Deadly Night in 2012 and then shifted from horror to action. He has directed films starring notable actors such as Bruce Willis, Sylvester Stallone, Nicolas Cage, John Cusack, Aaron Eckhart, Giancarlo Esposito, and Dave Bautista.
Steven C. Miller
Miller on set of his feature film First Kill
|Born||March 8, 1981|
Decatur, Georgia, US
|Alma mater||Full Sail University|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, editor|
His feature film debut, Automaton Transfusion (2006), was made for under $15,000; it was purchased and released worldwide by Dimension Films after premiering at the 2007 Screamfest Horror Film Festival. After signing with Aperture Entertainment and United Talent Agency, Miller was attached to direct several studio films, including a cancelled MGM remake of Motel Hell (1980).
In 2011, Miller embarked on directing three more independent features. The first was the thriller The Aggression Scale (2012), described by IndieWire as "Home Alone with more death". After premiering at South by Southwest, the film was purchased by Anchor Bay Entertainment for worldwide distribution. His second project was Under the Bed (2012), referred to by JoBlo.com as "a blood-soaked horror extravaganza"; the film premiered at Fantasia Festival and was acquired for release by XLrator Media. Miller's next film was the Christmas slasher film Silent Night (2012), a remake of Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984). Fearnet stated "this straightforward and scrappy little remake is somehow more entertaining than half of what passes for 'wide release' horror movies these days." Silent Night, like The Aggression Scale, was released by Anchor Bay.
Miller made a shift to mainstream filmmaking with four films produced by Emmett/Furla/Oasis and released by Lionsgate Premiere: Extraction (2015), Marauders (2016), Arsenal (2017) and First Kill (2017). Miller had his fifth collaboration with EFO and Lionsgate through the sequel Escape Plan 2: Hades (2018). Through these titles, Miller has collaborated several times with (in addition to Willis) Dave Bautista, Adrian Grenier and Johnathan Schaech.
Miller's latest project, action-thriller Live, began production in Birmingham, Alabama in May 2018. The film will star Aaron Eckhart as a disgraced police officer seeking an escaped kidnapee after killing her abductor. Courtney Eaton will co-star as an online reporter filming the chase in real time.
|2006||Automaton Transfusion||Dimension Extreme||TBA||$30,000||50%||Directorial debut also writer and actor.|
|2012||The Aggression Scale||Anchor Bay Films||TBA||Also editor.|
|Under the Bed||XLrator Media|
|Silent Night||Anchor Bay Films||TBA||$114,633||64%||Remake of Silent Night, Deadly Night.|
|Marauders||Lionsgate Premiere||TBA||$1 million||25%|
|2018||Escape Plan 2: Hades||Summit Entertainment||$20 million||$16.7 million||9%||Sequel to 2013's Escape Plan.|
|2019||Line of Duty||Saban Films, Lionsgate||TBA|
- H. G. Wells' War of the Worlds (2005) – art department: second unit; direct-to-video
- Penance (2009) – special thanks
- Pernicious (2014) – thanks
- "Steven C. Miller - Film Director, Writer, and Editor". FullSail.edu. Full Sail University. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Rizzo, Stephanie. "Energy and Motion: The Kinetics of Steven C. Miller". FullSailBlog.com. Full Sail University. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Who I Am". TheStevenCMiller.com. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- Gencarelli, Mike. "Interview with Steven C. Miller". MovieMikes.com. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- Willmore, Alison (March 11, 2012). "SXSW '12 Review: 'The Aggression Scale' Is Like 'Home Alone' With More Death (But Not As Fun As That Sounds)". Indiewire. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Kit, Borys. "Anchor Bay Preemptively Picks Up 'Aggression Scale' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Billboard-Hollywood Reporter Media Group. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- UNDER THE BED is an all-out assault on the senses
- Exclusive: Filming Begins on Silent Night; Director Steven C. Miller Speaks!
- Scott Weinberg (November 30, 2012). "FEARnet Movie Review: Silent Night". Silent Night. Fearnet. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Sylvester Stallone's Escape Plan 2 Finds a Director". February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 10, 2017.
- Evry, Max. "Escape Plan 2 Director Confirmed as Steven C. Miller". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- Varner, Brandon. "Movie starring Aaron Eckhart filming in Birmingham, looking for extras". CBS42.com. WIAT. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Colurso, Mary. "Streets, places closed for 'Live' movie filming in Birmingham". AL.com. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Kit, Borys. "Aaron Eckhart, Courtney Eaton to Star in Real-Time Thriller 'Live!' (Exclusive)". HollywoodReporter.com. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Kroll, Justin. "Ben McKenzie to Star With Aaron Eckhart in 'Live' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.com. Variety. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Automaton Transfusion (2006)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2015-02-26.
- "Silent Night". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- "Extraction". Rotten Tomatoes/Flixster. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "Submerged". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "Marauders (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 10, 2016.
- "Arsenal (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. 2017-01-08. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- "First Kill (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- "Escape Plan 2: Hades (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- Interview at MovieThunder.com Archived 2007-10-11 at the Wayback Machine