How to hire drawer
In an increasingly digital world, there’s something novel about hand-drawn or hand-painted artistic works. If you’re looking for a freelancer who can use traditional artistic media such as charcoal, pencil, pen, and paint to create works of art, a drawing specialist can help.
So how do you hire drawing specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top drawing specialists on Upwork.
How to shortlist drawing professionals
As you’re browsing available drawing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a drawing specialist who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., painting landscapes with acrylics).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular drawing specialist.
How to write an effective job post
With a clear picture of your ideal drawing specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective drawing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From paintings to sketches, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, art mediums, or tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bring your drawing project to life? Log in and post your drawing job on Upwork today.
What is a drawer?
It may seem surprising to find traditional art skills on a freelancing platform; however, there is still a demand for conventional art, be it acrylic painting, oil painting, charcoal drawings, or pen and pencil. Freelance drawing specialists also tend to possess graphic design and digital art expertise.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in drawing freelancers:
- Drawing with pencil, pen, or Wacom tablet
- Graphic design
- Use-case-specific art expertise (e.g., creating character designs for a webcomic)
Why hire drawer?
The trick to finding top drawing specialists is to identify your needs. Is your goal to create hand-drawn art for a handcrafted product you are selling? Or do you require niche skills such as medical illustration to be performed via Wacom tablet for use in a digital format? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a drawer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced drawing specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their drawing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.