List of Michigan area codes
- 231 – Northwestern Lower Michigan: Traverse City, Ludington, Muskegon, Petoskey, Big Rapids and Cheboygan
- 248 – Northern Metro Detroit: All of Oakland County, Northville, and most of Northville Township; overlays with area code 947
- 269 – Southwestern Michigan: Battle Creek, Benton Harbor, Allegan, Hastings, Kalamazoo, and St Joseph
- 313 – Wayne County: Detroit, Dearborn, Redford Township, and the Grosse Pointes
- 517 – South Central Michigan: Lansing, East Lansing, Jackson, Charlotte, Coldwater, Howell, Hillsdale, and Adrian
- 586 – Northeastern Metro Detroit: All of Macomb County
- 616 – Western Michigan: Grand Rapids, Holland, Greenville, Grand Haven, Zeeland, and Ionia
- 734 – Western and Down River/ Southeastern Michigan Metro Detroit: Ann Arbor, Monroe, Wayne, and Ypsilanti
- 810 – Southern Flint/Tri-Cities and The Thumb: Port Huron, Flint, Flushing, Otisville, Davison, Brighton, Sandusky, and Lapeer
- 906 – Upper Peninsula: Marquette, Sault Ste. Marie, St. Ignace, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Munising, and Mackinac Island
- 947 – Northern Metro Detroit: All of Oakland County, Northville, and most of Northville Township; overlays with area code 248
- 989 – Northern, Flint/Tri-Cities and Northeastern Lower Michigan: Alpena, Mt. Pleasant, Bay City, Saginaw, Midland, Owosso, Gaylord, and Bad Axe
An additional planned area code that is not yet in service:
Michigan's numbering plan expanded from three area codes in 1947 to twelve:
- 1947: Area codes 313, 517 and 616 are three of the original 86 area codes in the North American Numbering Plan.
- 1961: Area code 906 was created in the first split of 616.
- 1993: Area code 810 was created in the first split of 313.
- 1997: Area code 734 was created in the second split of 313. and area code 248 was created in the first split of 810.
- 1999: Area code 231 was created in the second split of 616.
- 2001: Area code 586 was created in the second split of 810, and area code 989 was created in the first split of 517.
- 2002: Area code 269 was created in the third split of 616, while area code 947 was created as an overlay of 248.
Thus, as of October 30, 2019, the original area code 313 has been split and overlaid five times, producing six of Michigan's twelve area codes; original area code 616 has been split three times, accounting for four of the twelve area codes; and area code 517 has been split once, accounting for the last two of the twelve area codes.
- "NANPA : Number Resources – NPA (Area) Codes". www.nanpa.com. Retrieved January 3, 2018.