What causes rash on inner thigh? And what could be the possible treatment options available for a rash on inner thigh?
What Causes Rash on inner Thigh
Consider the following:
- Prickly Heat
Prickly heat is commonly referred to as Miliaria and occurs when the pores become blocked and trap the sweat in the skin. Though Prickly heat might be accompanied with too much inflammation and irritation it should not be a cause for concern.
Prickly heat in many cases affects people on bed-rest, infants and children and most commonly occur when the weather condition is hot and humid.
Prickly heat appears like tiny bumps on the skin and can affect any area of the body, from the back and chest to the groin and inner thighs. Symptoms of this condition usually go away after the skin has begun to cool down.
- Food Allergy
Allergic reaction to certain foods such as avocado, egg, Shell fish, strawberry, peanut and legumes can result to a rash on inner thigh or other parts of the body such as chest, arms, face and buttocks.
Food allergies could be large or small bumps on the skin which with time go away on their own. Also antihistamine can be administered to block the histamine receptor cells.
- Contact Dermatitis
Contact dermatitis occurs when the skin is exposed to irritants or allergens. Contact dermatitis is the most common cause of inner thigh rash because the thighs come in contact with clothing and detergents every time now and then.
Other irritants and allergens that can result to a rash on inner thigh include, bleach, fragrance, soap, latex, nickel, poison Ivy among many others.
- Tinea Cruris
Tinea Cruris is commonly referred to as Jock itch. Jock itch is caused by a fungus and is highly contagious especially through sharing items like towel, clothing or through direct skin contact. The condition most often affects men than women because naturally men sweat more than women especially around the groin region. Their genitalia produce a lot of heat.
Tinea cruris or jock itch is normally associated with itchiness, burning and in the process the itchiness and burning result to a scaly and flaky rash on the genitals, inner thighs and buttocks.
Rash on inner thighs can be the after-shave effect especially where shaving of the inner thighs was done using unclean, dull blades or where shaving was done against the direction of hair growth.
In such cases, there is usually a lot of itching and inflammation which then result to formation of a rash and bumps on the inner thighs.
Chaffing is when two areas rub against one another. Chaffing is very much common between inner thighs especially in obese people because the thighs rub against one another. Physical activities such as running or biking can also result to chaffing.
Chaffing is usually associated by blistering, irritation, redness and inflammation, though these symptoms will go away after the cause of chaffing has been looked into.
Eczema is also in known as atopic dermatitis. Eczema can affect any part of the body that is genitals, inner thighs, buttocks, face, arms and chest. It is usually characterized by red itchy, dry skin and if not addressed within a short period of time, it can result to:
- Darkening of the skin
- Rashes on different parts of the body
- Hardening of the skin
- Bumps and patches
According to American Academy of Dermatologist (AAD), Eczema is not only common in children, but it can affect anyone of any given age. The Academy estimate that between 10 and 20% of children in United States have Eczema while just 2 to 5% of adults are affected.
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
According to American Academy of Dermatologist (AAD), hidradenitis Suppurativa is a rare rash that occurs in areas with lots of sweat glands such as armpits, inner thighs and groin area where skin rubs against skin. The academy further notes that the condition arises due to hair follicles getting blocked in these areas (armpits, inner thighs and groin region).
The exact cause of hidradenitis suppurativa is yet to be known but health experts’ suspects that the cause could be genetics, lifestyle factors, overweight, hormones or alcohol abuse.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
STDs can also result to a rash on inner thighs and groin region. Some of the common STDs that cause a rash on inner thighs include:
- Genital Herpes. Genital herpes can result small red bumps and rashes on the genitals which then eventually spread to other areas within the grown region such as anus, buttocks and inner thighs. The bumps and rashes caused by genital herpes could be itchy, irritating and painful.
- As syphilis progress from primary to secondary type, the tiny-sized sores and bumps could spread within the groin region to areas such inner thighs and result patched-rashes that are associated with pain, itchiness and inflammation.
- Cercarial Dermatitis
Cercarial dermatitis is commonly referred to as Swimmers itch and it is an allergic reaction to certain parasites like schistosoma parasite that live in some lakes, ponds or ocean waters. The parasite can burrow into the skin in your inner thighs and cause a rash.
Cercarial dermatitis is commonly associated with burning sensation, reddish-brown pimples, rashes and tiny blisters within very few days of swimming in the infected water. Cercarial dermatitis does not require any medical attention unless the rashes and blisters get worse.
It is also important to note that, there is no risk of getting cercarial dermatitis when you swim in properly chlorinated pools.
Candida is a fungal infection that commonly cause rash on inner thighs and groin area. The groin and inner thighs are more often moist and this result to accumulation and growth of micro-organisms such as fungus or yeast and this gives rise to rashes and many other skin lesions.
- Nappies and Diapers
In infants or newborns, diaper or nappy rashes are very common. Their thighs get rashes and blisters due to this nappies and diapers. If the diaper is filled with urine or excreta and not changed for long hours it can result to irritation to the baby’s skin.
In many cases, changing the diapers and keeping the baby’s groin area clean more frequently help to solve the problem. In other cases, you might need to apply anti-fungal prescriptions from your pediatricians.
Obesity is commonly associated with red rash, raised bumps and inflammation within the skin folds like underarms and groin region like inner thighs due to friction inside the skin folds. This condition is medically referred to as intertrigo.
- Synthetic Clothe
Tight clothing made from materials which are synthetic in nature or clothing washed with chemical soaps has ability to cause an allergic reaction. Also some type of cloth have been made from rubber and latex, such clothe significantly induce rash on inner thighs.
- Other causes
Other 12 possible causes of a rash on inner thighs include:
- Genital Warts
- Insect bites
- Acne vulgaris
- Yeast infection
- Poor hygiene
- Tight garments
- Pityriasis rosea
- Certain Medication
Itchy Rash in Groin area Female
Wearing very tight skinny jeans or nylon underwear could cause an itchy rash in the groin area of a woman. The rash that arises as a result of wearing tight clothing can complicate itself into an infection and therefore, need to be given absolute immediate attention. Other possible causes of rash in the groin area of a woman include;
- Acne vulgaris
- Hormonal imbalance
- Certain Medications
- Poor hygiene
- Insect bites
- Genital Warts
Rash on Inner Thigh during Pregnancy
Rash on inner thigh is a common phenomenon in majority of expected women. Some of the inner thigh rashes are harmless while others are accompanied with too much inflammation and itchiness and they can be a sign of an underlying medical condition.
In pregnant women, a rash on inner thighs as well as lower abdomen could be due to friction in between these parts. In the third trimester of pregnancy, the fact that the belly lies on the genitals as well as on the thighs, may see a flare-up of heat rash. To get relief from these rashes always apply some talcum powder or antiperspirants to reduce sweating within these region.
How Prevent Rash on Inner Thigh
Practice the following preventative measures to avoid cases of inner thigh rash:
- Use proper hair removal techniques such as use of hair removal creams when shaving your inner thighs or you can avoid shaving your thighs completely.
- Avoid soaps with fragrance and chemicals. Use herbal soaps that contain calendula, tea tree oil.
- After taking a bath, always apply talcum powder on your thighs to absorb excess moisture.
- Avoid swimming in parasite contaminated waters, always if you have to swim, do so in properly chlorinated pools.
- Apply antiperspirants between your things when the weather condition is hot and humid to reduce excess sweating between your thighs.
- Avoid chaffing by wearing anti-chaffing type of clothing such as bandelettes and bikers.
- If you are allergic, avoid foods and other allergens that trigger allergies on your body.
Rash on Inner Thigh Treatment and Remedies
The process of getting rid of inner thigh rash depends on what caused the rash and how severe the condition causing the rash is. There are numerous treatment options that can be administered in this regard and they include:
Anti-histamines are usually administered on inner thigh rash that is as a result of allergic reactions. Anti-histamines work by blocking histamine receptor cells and in the process minimize the flare-up of rashes and reduce redness as well.
It is also important to note that anti-histamines work for a very short period of time, in cases where they have been used and the inner thigh rash isn’t going away, health professionals usually recommend the use of epi shots.
Over-the-Counter Medicated Creams
In cases where the rash on your inner is mild or is not attributable to any medical condition, then application of medicated over-the-counter creams could be of great help in getting rid of the inner thigh rash. Many over-the-counter creams have hydrating properties that help to restore the normal health condition of the skin.
Thus, it is usually recommended by health professionals to go for creams containing retinoid and vitamin D because they work effectively and fast in restoring the skin back to its normal health.
Use of UV-Rays
Use of UV-rays in treatment of inner thigh rash in many cases work effectively on rashes caused by Psoriasis, Eczema, STD or Fungal infection. The use UV-rays is medically known as Phototherapy. In this procedure UV-rays are used to slow down the production of dermal cells. The process helps to get rid of inner thigh rash in the long term.
Where the major cause of inner thigh rash can be related to a weak immune system then immune boosting drugs can be administered under strict supervision of a health professional because some of them if required prescription is not observed they can cause kidney damage and blood pressure.
Steroids have anti-inflammatory components they help to get rid of the inner thigh rash by reducing inflammation and itching on the skin. A good example of a steroid that can be used to get rid of inner thigh rash is corticosteroid creams or injections. Corticosteroid is commonly used in getting rid of Eczema, Psoriasis, Candida and bacterial infections. This medications according to health professionals, they should not be used regularly as they can have an adverse effect on the skin.
Here are several home remedies which can be of help in getting rid of inner thigh rash; you can try any of them depending on your preference and availability.
- Cold Compress. The cooling and soothing effect of an ice can reduce the inflammation effectively. The coolness numbs the receptor cells that are causing itchiness. To use cold compress, take ice cubes and wrap them in a clean towel. Place the ice cubes on the inner thigh rash and remove after 15 minutes. Repeat this process at least 3 times a day.
- Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera is rich in antibacterial, Anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. To use Aloe Vera, mix 1 teaspoon of aloe Vera with freshly brewed green tea and 1 tablespoon of lavender water. Apply the mixture on the inner thigh rash. Leave the mixture to dry completely. Repeat the application at least 2 times a day.
- Baking Soda. Baking soda contains anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties which make it effective in getting rid of thigh rash caused due to bacteria or fungal activities. To use baking Soda, mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda and water to make a paste. Apply the paste on your inner thigh rash. Rinse off with water after 45 minutes and pat the area dry. Repeat this process at least 2 times a day for 1 week.
- Oatmeal contains sooth and moisturizing properties that make it an effective remedy in treatment of inner thigh rash. To use Oatmeal, add 1 cup of oatmeal to bathwater, soak in your thighs for at least 15 minutes. Wash normally and pat dry, repeat the process 2 times in a day.
- Turmeric is a prominent ingredient that has been used for a very long time including inner thigh rash. To use Turmeric, mix 3 tablespoons of turmeric powder and 3 tablespoon of water to make a paste. Apply the paste on the inner thigh rash. Leave it dry completely and rinse off with water. Repeat the process at least 3 times a day.
- Chamomile Tea. Chamomile Tea has large amounts of soothing and anti-fungal ingredients that make chamomile tea an effective remedy. To use chamomile, brew some chamomile tea and rinse off the affected area using this tea and pat dry. Rinse your inner thigh rash at least 4 times a day.
When to See a Doctor
Visit your doctor for consultation and examination of your inner thigh rash when:
- Your inner thigh rash is extremely painful
- Your inner thigh rash does not improve after a few weeks of using over-the-counter medication and home remedies
- Inner thigh rash return within weeks of treatment
- The rash appears in several other parts of the body
- Inner thigh recurs often
- Inner Thigh Rash Home Remedies https://homeremediesforlife.com/inner-thigh-rash/
- Rash on Inner thigh causes, symptoms and treatment https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321113.php
- Rash on inner thighs causes, pictures and treatment https://emedicalhub/inner-thigh-rash-causes-pictures-treatment/
- Inner thigh rash types, on female and male https://diseasespictures.com/inner-thigh-rash/
- How to treat heat rash in the groin area in females-
- 15 Effective home remedies to get rid of jock itch stylecraze.com/articles/effective-home-remedies-for-treating-and-relieving-jock-itch/