This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dean||Eric A. Bullard, Ph.D.|
UCLA Extension is a continuing education institution headquartered in Westwood, Los Angeles, on the campus of the University of California, Los Angeles. Classes are held at UCLA, in Downtown Los Angeles, and other locations throughout Los Angeles County, including Torrance.
In 1902, University Extension was reorganized as a self-governing body within the University. The doors of UC Extension in Los Angeles (officially "University of California Extension Division, Southern District") were opened in September 1917.
Extension's original location was in downtown Los Angeles. For the growing film industry, one early course was "Motion Pictures: The Film as a Factor in Molding Tomorrow's Citizenry." By 1919, more than 1,600 students attended almost 100 classes.
Beginning in 1942, Dean Baldwin Woods guided University Extension through the revisionist era of World War II and the postwar years. "Long before many leaders in the community realized that the knowledge explosion had shattered the myth of ever 'finishing' one's education, he perceived the huge and unending task of continuing education."
UCLA Extension offers more than 5,000 courses and more than 100 certificate programs.
UCLA’s Entertainment Studies program has graduated Emmy-, Grammy- and Oscar-nominated and winning alumni, more recently including: Gavin Hood (Ender’s Game, Tsotsi, Rendition, X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and Darryl Swann (Macy Gray, Black Eyed Peas, Mos Def). Award-winning instructors include Kirk Saduski (John Adams, The Pacific, Game Change, The Seventies), among others.
The UCLA Extension Writers’ Program is the largest open-enrollment writing and screenwriting program in the world.
Notable alumni include: Bryan Cogman, Game of Thrones; Stuart Beattie, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra; Australia; Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl; 30 Days of Night; Collateral; Zoanne Clack, Grey’s Anatomy; Tucker Cawley, Parks and Recreation, Everybody Loves Raymond; Eric Jerome Dickey, Resurrecting Midnight; Doug Ellin, Entourage; Janet Fitch, White Oleander (Oprah Pick); Alice Greenway, White Ghost Girls (winner of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize for First Fiction); Gavin Hood, Tsotsi (Academy Award winner, Best Foreign Film); Randi Mayem Singer, Mrs. Doubtfire; Melissa Rosenberg, adaptation of Twilight; Dexter; Earl W. Wallace, Witness (Academy Award winner for Best Original Screenplay); Joseph Wambaugh, The Onion Field; Kevin Williamson, Scream, Dawson’s Creek; Iris Yamashita, Letters from Iwo Jima (Academy Award nominee for Best Original Screenplay).
Notable instructors and lecturers
Notable instructors and lecturers at UCLA Extension have included the Pablo Casals, Walter Cronkite, Steve Allen, Aldous Huxley, Henry Kissinger, Jascha Heifetz, and Peter Drucker, Giammario Villa, among others.
People who have taken classes or graduated from UCLA Extension include:
- Troy Aikman, NFL Hall of Fame quarterback, earned his B.A. from UCLA by taking his last two courses online through UCLA Extension.
- James Franco attended UCLA Extension, taking courses in literature and creative writing.
- Marilyn Monroe attended UCLA Extension in April 1951, taking “Backgrounds of Literature” with teacher Claire Soule. The previous month she’d presented at the Academy Awards at the Pantages.
- Univision news anchor Jorge Ramos received a journalism certificate from UCLA Extension.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger enrolled in Extension classes during the 1970s as a young actor and bodybuilder, and helped celebrate Extension's 90th anniversary.
- Frederico Lapenda Graduated in the Film & Television Program in 1994 - Movie Producer, MMA Hall of Fame Promoter, Allies of the Amazon co-creator with Stan Lee, Beverly Hills Film Festival President and Brazilian Tourism Ambassador.
- "UCLA Extension: UCLA Extension at Figueroa Courtyard". uclaextension.edu.
- "UCLA Extension: UCLA Extension Locations". uclaextension.edu.
- "UCLA Extension: Welcome to UCLA Extension". uclaextension.edu.
- "UCLA Extension: Gift Opportunity FAQs". uclaextension.edu.
- "UCLA Reaccreditation by WASC". wasc.ucla.edu.
- "University of California History Digital Archives". berkeley.edu.
- Lea Brunquist. "Business Womens Herald". Business Womens Herald.
- Brian Bell. "UCLA Extension reaches residents, professionals in downtown L.A." UCLA Newsroom.
- "UCLA Extension Wraps Deal". Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!.
- Mary Daily. "East of Westwood".
- MovieMaker. "Film School of the Week".
- Woods, Baldwin (2010). Baldwin M. Woods on University of California Extension: oral history transcript / and related material, 1956-1957. Nabu Press. p. 123. ISBN 1176211382.
- "Continuing Education - UCLA". ucla.edu.
- "Kirk Saduski". IMDb.
- "UCLA Extension Instructor: Kirk Saduski". uclaextension.edu.
- "UCLA Extension: Writers' Program". uclaextension.edu.
- "Success: Student Pens Episode of New HBO Series". uclaextension.edu.
- "Book Prizes – Los Angeles Times Festival of Books» Winners By Award". latimes.com. Archived from the original on 2013-04-05.
- "Writers' Program - Category Archive - Success Stories". uclaextension.edu.
- Amanda Crater. "UCLA welcomes Dalai Lama to campus May 2". UCLA Newsroom.
- Judy Lin. "UCLA Extension turns 90". UCLA Newsroom.
- Wendy Soderburg. "UCLA's famed former quarterback completes final 'pass'". UCLA Today.
- "Is James Franco For Real? -- New York Magazine". NYMag.com.
- Morgan, Michelle (2012). Marilyn Monroe: Private and Confidential. Skyhorse Publishing. p. 195. ISBN 1616087196.
- UCLA Newsroom. "Univision news anchor honored at UCLA Extension graduation". UCLA Newsroom.
- UCLA Newsroom. "UCLA Extension turns 90". UCLA Newsroom.