wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 136 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.
This article has been viewed 4,693,173 times.
Phone sex is a great way to spice up your sex life, whether you're doing it because your partner is far away because you're not ready to have other kinds of sex together yet because you just want to try something new, or any other reason! To have great phone sex, you need to let loose, stop being self-conscious, and be ready to get turned on, no matter how silly you may feel at first.
Part 1 of 2:
1Set up a phone date. While it's true that, as with any other kind of sex, phone sex can "just happen", the session is more likely to go well if you've planned ahead, especially if it's your first time doing it together.
- Pick a time when you're both alone and free to let your inhibitions loose. Your plan won’t work if you're rolling around in bed, feeling hot and heavy, while your partner is shivering in the rain outside the library.
- If your partner is new to phone sex or feeling unsure, consider sending them this article, or reading it together.
- Don't forget that you can always discuss what you'd like to do during phone sex before you start.
2Let loose and get in the mood. It will be difficult for you to enjoy yourself if you feel tense or silly, so before you call, do whatever you need to do to get yourself comfortable and feeling sexy.
- Let loose: Lie in bed for a while, browse the internet, have a glass of wine, jog on the spot, do a silly song and dance in front of the mirror -- anything that will allow you to release the tension from your body.
Get in the mood: Setting up a sexy atmosphere can help put you in the right frame of mind, so consider doing whatever you'd do to prepare for any other kind of sex. Here are some ideas:
- Tidy up your room and make the bed
- Dim the lights, perhaps set up some candles
- Play soft music
- Have a bath or shower (and a shave, if you like)
- Think of a role play to spice up the call (you two skinny dipping, etc.)
- Put on (or take off!) your favorite, sexiest clothes, and underwear
- Set out some sex toys
- Turn yourself on by gently caressing your body, or thinking about your lover, or imagining sexual encounters you've had or would like to have... but don't let yourself get too turned on just yet -- that's what the phone call is for!
Part 2 of 2:
Having Phone Sex
1Begin the call. Once you have your partner on the phone, take things at a speed you're both comfortable with. There's no "correct" way to have phone sex.
- If it helps you relax, spend a few minutes chatting before you get started... just don't let yourselves get distracted from your sexy goal.
- A low, soft tone of voice or heavy breathing can help set the mood, but don't force it if doing so is unnatural for you: speaking and breathing comfortably in your normal tone of voice will be sexier than an awkwardly forced attempt at sounding sexy.
2Introduce a casual topic that will segue nicely into sexy talk. Getting started is possibly the hardest part, especially if it's your first time! Pick a topic that's easy for you to bring up, but which has the potential to spiral into steamier territory. Examples:
- How much you miss them, or wish they were with you
- What you would like to do if they were with you
- What you're wearing and how you look in it
- What you're doing
- How you're feeling
- Ask your partner to describe any of the above to you
3Escalate into sexy talk. Once you have the ball rolling and you're feeling comfortable, try getting bolder with your descriptions, or bring up new, sexier topics. A good approach is to describe or ask your partner to describe, the following three things:
What you're doing: Describe how you look and the way you're touching yourself. Be as coy or as raunchy as you like!
- Ask for "advice" -- for example, "should I start playing with my underwear?"
- Tell them what you'd like them to do if they're willing.
- Don't feel bad if you're not comfortable with touching yourself -- you can still let them know that you're enjoying simply listening to them.
What you're imagining: This could be, for example, what you'd like to be doing with your partner, a moment from great sex the two of you have had in the past, or a mental image of what they're describing to you.
- You might want to start out slow: begin with tame descriptions like "first, I'd stroke your hair" or "I really like the way your chest looks in a T-shirt", before moving on to steamier things like "then I'd kiss your neck" or "remember when you did that thing to me in the shower?"
- As always, how explicit you get, and how quickly, is entirely up to you.
How you're feeling: Describe the physical and emotional feelings you're experiencing as a result of what you're doing and/or what they're saying.
- Moaning is a great way to communicate how good you're feeling. However, there's no need to do this if you're not comfortable with it. You can start with just letting your breath go at first, to help bring out little moans into louder moans.
- Let them know when they've described or done something you really enjoyed. Likewise, don't be afraid to tell them when you don't enjoy something -- it'll allow the two of you to move on to something else that you'll both find enjoyable.
- What you're doing: Describe how you look and the way you're touching yourself. Be as coy or as raunchy as you like!
4Masturbate and orgasm (optional). Mutual masturbation and orgasm are excellent additions to phone sex, but they're not a requirement by any means.
- Don't feel bad if your partner doesn't join you in masturbating. If you don't want to masturbate alone, ask them before you start if they'd be interested in joining you. Likewise, don't get anxious if they start masturbating and you don't want to -- you're not obligated to join them. Just enjoy listening to them pleasure themselves.
- Don't worry if one or both of you fail to reach orgasm. Think of it as the icing on the cake, rather than the goal of the exercise.
- If you reach orgasm before your partner is ready to stop, don't go quiet! Continue talking to them, describing what you're feeling and imagining.
5Finish having phone sex. The point at which you decide to stop is up to you. There's no need to wait for orgasm -- or, indeed, to stop just because you've both come.
- There's no rule as to how quickly you should end the call after finishing. Some people prefer ending the call as soon as their breathing has gone back to normal, whereas others prefer to stay on the line and chat.
- Let your partner know how much you enjoyed yourself before you end the call.
QuestionIs there any harm in having phone sex every day?Community AnswerNot really, no. Since it's over the phone, there is obviously no chance of pregnancy or STDs. Just make sure you (and your partner) are not feeling pressured to do anything you/they don't want to do.
QuestionWhy would couples do this in the first place? Why can't they just do this in real life?Community AnswerMaybe if the husband/boyfriend or wife/girlfriend is away somewhere and the person they are dating wants to do it with them but can't. In this case, phone sex might might feel like they are being intimate from afar. There are many potential reasons why though, it's personal and between the consenting partners.
QuestionCan we use Facetime?Community AnswerYes, but that's not the only way to do it. You don't need to have a video component if you're not comfortable with that. It's up to you and your partner.
QuestionWhat if I don't own a phone?Community AnswerThe point to phone sex is really to be on the phone. However, if you find a way to use online video chat, that could work as well. If all else fails, you could ask a friend to borrow their phone for the night -- just make sure they're on board with the plan beforehand.
QuestionDoes phone sex involve use of your camera?Community AnswerIt could involve use of the phone's camera. It is entirely up to you and your partner. It may be worth a discussion with your partner. It all depends upon the rules you and your partner establish before and during the session. Pictures may heighten the level of excitement for each.
QuestionHe hung up on me! What do I do?Community AnswerDid you discuss the idea of having phone sex before you called him? He may be surprised or shocked by you coming on too strong over the phone if this is a new idea to him. Phone or text him back asking for a normal chat, then raise the matter of what you were trying to do and ask him outright if it's something he is keen to try or feels uncomfortable with. Then take it from there.
QuestionHow do I overcome a fear of pain from sex toys?Community AnswerIf you are scared of pain, start with something small and comfortable. Basically, in your comfort zone. Test any that you may be using during the phone sex before the call, so you can become comfortable. Remember, sex toys are a thing totally based on preference, and if you've tried it once or twice and still don't like it, then you don't have to use it.
QuestionWhat if I am underage and want to have phone sex?Community AnswerThis is not recommended, since it would be considered child pornography. Yes, even if your partner is a minor as well, you both could be arrested and charged if you are caught by the wrong person. On that note, don't send nudes either for the same reason.
QuestionCan I catch an STI from phone sex?Community AnswerNo, since your partner isn't actually with you.
QuestionWon't Apple track me down and store the sounds of my orgasms and post them on the internet?Community AnswerNo. No one wants to hear your orgasm sounds, let alone store them and post them on the internet.
About This Article
If you want to spice up a call with phone sex, start slowly by speaking in a low, soft tone and talk about something that will segue into steamier territory. For example, tell your partner how much you wish they were there with you or describe what you’re wearing. Once you get the ball rolling and you both feel comfortable, start to describe what you’re doing and get as raunchy as you want. You can even ask your partner for “advice,” like “Should I start playing with my underwear?” As the conversation continues to heat up, try masturbating together. However, don’t feel pressured about reaching orgasm, since that's the icing on the cake, rather than the goal of the exercise. For more advice, like how to set up a sexy atmosphere to get in the mood for phone sex, scroll down.