2022 Los Angeles mayoral election
|Elections in California|
The 2022 Los Angeles mayoral election will take place on November 8, 2022, to elect the Mayor of Los Angeles. The primary for this election, a top-two primary by California law, will take place on June 7, 2022. Incumbent Mayor Eric Garcetti will be ineligible to seek a third term due to term limits, but is serving an extended second term due to a law moving election dates.
Major declared candidates
The following candidates (listed alphabetically) have held office, have been included in polls, or have been the subject of significant media coverage.
|18th Los Angeles City Attorney
Member of the California State Assembly from the 42nd district
Member of the Los Angeles City Council from the 5th district
|March 9, 2020
Other declared candidates
- Eden Cristo, grassroots founder of We Humyns (a group intending to get humans to Mars)
- YJ Draiman, perennial candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles and father of Disturbed lead singer David Draiman[unreliable source?]
- G. Juan Johnson, legal advocate
- Helan Mahmood, co-founder of fashion brand Don Kaka
- William Rodriguez Morrison, community organizer and perennial candidate
- Alestar Van Mater, real estate agent (party preference: Republican)
- Joe Buscaino, Los Angeles City Councilor, 15th District
- Rick Caruso, mall developer (famous for properties such as The Grove at Farmers Market and The Americana at Brand)
- Philip DeFranco, news commentator and YouTube personality
- Kevin de León, Los Angeles City Councilor, 14th District, former President pro tempore of the California State Senate and 2018 U.S. Senate candidate (party preference: Democratic)
- Wendy Greuel, former Los Angeles City Councilor, City Controller, candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles in 2013
- B.J. Novak, best known as an actor, writer and executive producer for The Office
- Mark Ridley-Thomas, Los Angeles County Supervisor (party preference: Democratic)
- Herb Wesson, former Speaker of the California State Assembly and former President of the Los Angeles City Council; Los Angeles City Councilor, 10th District (party preference: Democratic)
- "LA City Attorney Mike Feuer says he wants to be mayor, kicking off early group of entrants in 2022 races". March 12, 2020.
- "Los Angeles mayor wins re-election in landslide". March 8, 2017 – via www.reuters.com.
- Smith, Dakota. "City Atty. Mike Feuer says he's running for L.A. mayor". Retrieved January 20, 2021.
- Stuart, Gwynedd (March 10, 2020). "City Attorney Mike Feuer Is Running for Mayor of Los Angeles".
- "Eden Cristo mayoral campaign announcement".
- "Los Angeles Elections - Los Angeles Elections 2022". losangeleselections.com.
- "A Letter of Thanks". Random Lengths News. September 8, 2020.
- Spectrum1News - "Student Drops Out of College to Run for LA Mayor & Uses TikTok to Campaign"
- Van Mater for Mayor Los Angeles
- "LA councilman for San Pedro, Joe Buscaino, elected to lead National League of Cities, raising his political profile". November 26, 2019.
- Blum, Steven (April 22, 2019). "Mall Mogul Rick Caruso Is Considering Running for Mayor".
- DeFranco, Philip (January 20, 2021). "My wife has officially given me her blessing to run for Mayor of LA". Twitter.
- Feb. 10, David Zahniser Staff Writer; Am, 20205 (February 10, 2020). "They're running for L.A. City Council — but not ruling out a bid for mayor in 2022". Los Angeles Times.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Preston, Stefan; Articles, More; March 17, 2020 (March 17, 2020). "'The Office' Star B.J. Novak Confirms He May Run for Mayor of LA Someday".CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "In South L.A., a veteran Democrat finds himself facing candidates on his left". Los Angeles Times. February 28, 2020.