Charities that accept automobile donations do so either to sell the cars to raise money or to instead utilize the cars for the charity. Some non-profit organizations will accept cars that need some repair, fix up the cars, and then give them to individuals who may not otherwise be able to afford them.
Reputable Charities That Accept Automobile Donations
You may be surprised to discover that there is an abundance of charities that accept automobile donations directly. Some reputable charities that readily accept cars and other motorized vehicles for donation include:
- 1-800-Charity Cars: Perhaps one of the most highly publicized charity accepting car donations, this organization utilizes the majority of vehicle donations by reselling them and pumping the profits back into the cause. Some vehicles wind up getting donated directly to individuals and families in need.
- Kars4Kids: Vehicle donations to this charity, which is Jewish nonprofit organization, are used to fund a wide variety of youth programs, including summer camps, mentorship, after school programs, educational support, and more. This organization accepts cars, motorcycles, boats, and almost all other types of motorized vehicles.
- DAV: Vehicles donations to DAV are sold to raise funds used to help support the organization's mission of providing assistance to veterans and their families. This veterans service organization accepts most types of motorized vehicles in any condition, even if they aren't currently running.
- Habitat for Humanity Car Donation: Although this organization is well-known for building houses for needy families, this charity also has a can donation program that allows people to donate vehicles. Donated cars are sold, and the cash raised is put toward building affordable housing.
- Car Angel: When donating a car to this organization, people can choose one program to benefit from the sale of the car. This organization also operates the Boat Angel program, which accepts donations of boats, yachts, jet skis, and other watercraft.
- Goodwill: Not all Goodwill donation centers accept vehicle donations, but the ones that do accept car donations utilize the donations either as transportation for the participants served by the charity or sell them, which results in funds that are put back into Goodwill programs.
- Salvation Army: The Salvation Army accepts automobile donations. You'll need to enter your zip code on their website to locate vehicle donation services in your area. Depending on where you live, you may see specific results online or be directed to call a toll-free number.
This is not a complete list of reputable charities that accept automobile donations. In fact, you may want to have a look at charities in your local area. Schools, churches, and other non-profit organizations may eagerly accept cars and other vehicles as donations. You may find that a local organization is the best place for you to donate a car to charity. Car Donation Wizard is another option to consider. This organization operates a car donation program for nonprofits. They accept vehicles for donation and allow donors to select which of their partner nonprofit organizations will receive proceeds from the sale of their vehicle.
Choosing a Charity for Car Donation
Which charity should you choose after you make the decision to donate your car? You have many worthy charities to choose from. A good rule of thumb is to contact a charity which you personally endorse and ask if they accept cars as donations. This way you know that the donation goes directly to the charity of your choice. Even if they sell it for profit, you know that the value of your car goes toward a cause you believe in. If you are considering donating a car to an organization that you are not familiar with, visit the CharityWatch website to seek information on the group.
Questions to Ask
Don't just pick a random charity and call them to come pick up your car. Find out how the donation will be used and how it will benefit the charitable organization. Ask questions like:
- Is the car resold, given to a needy family, or is it kept by the charity?
- What are the organization's car donation guidelines?
- Does the charity handle pick-up and documentation costs associated with the transaction?
- Does the donation qualify for a tax deduction?
Tax Considerations for Car Donations
If a tax deduction is your main motivation for donating your car, be sure that any local charity you consider donating your automobile to has non-profit status and can legally offer you a receipt for tax purposes. Make sure you understand the IRS car donation rules before moving forward with the gift so that you're clear on the potential tax impact.
Put Your Unwanted Vehicle to Good Use
No matter whether your car is great shape, average condition or has a few dints and dings, a charity can put it work. Take the time to research the right charity for your vehicle donation. Your car can make a difference in someone else's life.