|Philipp Blum and Martin Blum (General Manager) Urs Bolter (General Manager Blum International Consulting) and Gerhard Humpeler (Head of Finance)|
|Revenue||1.887,85 million euros (2018/2019)|
Number of employees
Blum is an international manufacturer of furniture hardware. It is a family-owned company based in Höchst, a municipality in the Austrian province of Vorarlberg. Production facilities are mainly located in Austria, but the company also has production plants in the United States, in Poland and in Brazil. Blum supplies furniture manufacturers and hardware distributors in more than 120 countries worldwide. 97% of its products are exported, and its annual turnover is 1.887,85 million euros in 2018/2019.
The first product was a horseshoe stud, which prevents horses from slipping. Then in 1958, the first furniture hinge was produced. The construction of concealed hinges started in 1964, and this essentially led to the entry into the furniture fittings industry. Today, Blum products are exported to more than 120 countries.
Julius Blum died in 2006, and the family business continued to be run by his sons, Gerhard Blum and Herbert Blum. Today, the company structure is as follows: Gerhard E. Blum (26%), Herbert Blum (26%), and Blum Private Trust (48%). Since 30 June 2019 the third generation has taken the helm of the family-owned company, and Gerhard E. Blum will now focus on the Blum Group Holding. For the newly formed Management Board consisting of Philipp Blum, Martin Blum, Urs Bolter and Gerhard Humpeler and the Corporate Management Group, the key to future success is working together in a close-knit network and consistently building on the strengths and competencies of employees.
Production facilities and subsidiaries
The company has seven factories in Vorarlberg, and additional production sites are situated in Poland, Brazil and the United States. In the 2017/18 financial year, 48% of the company’s turnover was generated in the EU, 15% in the United States and 37% in other markets than Austria.
Factory in Jasin nearby Swarzędz, Poland
Blum subsidiaries (ranked according to the founding year):
Blum is specialized in the production of fittings and systems for furniture, in particular for kitchens. The main business segments are lift, hinge and pull-out systems. Blum products are displayed at showrooms, home design shows and fairs for the furniture industry, such as Interzum in Cologne  and Kitchen & Bath Industry Show (KBIS).
Blum invests 4% of its annual revenue in research and development. In 2014, the company holds around 67 patents and 2.100 trademark rights in total. Blum Austria occupies second place in the invention rankings and ranks amongst Austria’s top ten patent candidates.
The company has set up training rooms, laboratory kitchens and test-drive areas to identify requirements of kitchen fitters, manufacturers, sellers and kitchen buyers. Research insights have resulted in new and improved products and concepts for storage space planning in kitchens.
Blum has won several awards in product quality and design. In 2013, the furniture manufacturer received the European Inventor Award in the "industry" category for its hinge system Blumotion. The invention assures that doors, drawers and lift systems close gently and silently.
Blum Austria started its own apprenticeship system in 1970. The four-year program is a combination of class participation and practical training in the company. Students are able to learn high-tech professions in metal and plastics processing. Vocational training is common within central Europe, as young people are split at the age of 15 either to academic schools or to apprenticeships.
Eight training programs are currently offered:
In 1995, Blum USA introduced the in-house training program "Apprenticeship 2000" according to the Austrian model. The company cooperates with businesses in the community and the Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC).
As of September 2019, the company trains 363 apprentices, 21 of which are in the United States. Blum apprentices frequently take part in global competitions like WorldSkills, in which they have received several certificates of excellence.
- "Blum increases turnover by 50 million euros in the 2017/2018 financial year" (press release). Julius Blum GmbH. July 2018. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- Andiva, Yvonne (March 2015). "Fitted Kitchens". Construction Review.
- "Blum spends $10M for equipment". Charlotte Business Journal. 14 April 2008. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- GmbH, Julius Blum. "Locations". Julius Blum GmbH. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- Thorpe, Amelia (October 2012). "Smooth operators". EKB Business.
- Rusnak, Andrew (March–April 2015). "Perfecting motion". Charlotte Business Journal. Archived from the original on 2015-07-15.
- Legg, John (September 17, 2013). "Furniture Production visits Blum". Furniture & Joinery Production.
- "Blum Austria Trip – Part 1: Employee Investment » The Furniture Makers Company". www.furnituremakers.org.uk. Archived from the original on 2016-08-21. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Margarethe Endl (30 January 1997). "US-Tochter von Julius Blum strebt Milliardenumsatz an". WirtschaftsBlatt (in German). Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "The history of Julius Blum GmbH". Julius Blum GmbH. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Bathroom & Kitchen Update | Blum innovates at Interzum". www.bathroomandkitchenupdate.com. Archived from the original on 2016-08-18. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Blum to showcase product innovations at interzum 2015". My Office Magazine. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Red Dot Online: Winners of the interzum award: intelligent material & design 2015 - jury of experts granted top award to just nine entries". en.red-dot.org. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Blum introduces LEGRABOX and AMBIA-LINE | KBIS Pressroom". KBIS Pressroom. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "European Inventor Award 2013 goes to Julius Blum GmbH from Austria- ADVANTAGE AUSTRIA international - advantageaustria.org". Advantage Austria. Archived from the original on 2016-04-20. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Dual Training Made in Austria – the Blum Apprenticeship 2000 Program". ostaustria.org. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Apprenticeship 2000 trains workers for coming decades - Charlotte Business Journal". Charlotte Business Journal. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Encouraging new talent". Designer Kitchen & Bathroom. January 2015.
- "The Blum quality cycle". Julius Blum GmbH. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Blum's Energy Management System Certified with the new ISO 50001 | Architecture And Design". Architecture And Design. Retrieved 2015-10-30.