Teichrieb 'like an excited dog' after attacking Kamloops teenager, judge told during civil trial - Kamloops News - Castanet.net

Teichrieb 'like an excited dog' after attacking Kamloops teenager, judge told during civil trial

Grisly details at beating trial

A B.C. Supreme Court judge heard grisly details Tuesday about the 2016 near-death beating of a Kamloops teenager — and the attack's aftermath — as part of the civil trial of the vigilante who left him permanently disabled.

Jessie Simpson was in a coma for months following a June 19, 2016, attack at the hands of Kristopher Teichrieb, who was armed with a metal baseball bat.

Simpson, then 18, had been out celebrating high-school graduation. He became separated from a group of friends and wandered onto Teichrieb’s property, where he was pursued and beaten.

Teichrieb is in a federal prison in the Fraser Valley serving a seven-year sentence for aggravated assault. Simpson’s condition has improved modestly but he will never work and will require 24-hour care for the rest of his life.

RCMP Const. Grant Bernier was the first police officer to arrive at the scene following the attack. He said the first thing he noticed was Teichrieb waving excitedly — “kind of like an excited dog.”

“He was saying ‘I got him, I got him,” said Bernier, who recently left the national police force for a job in the private sector.

“You could see blood and stuff everywhere. The guy on the ground was not really moving.”

Bernier said another Mountie tended to Teichrieb while he approached Simpson.

“I started looking at Jessie to see if he was OK,” he said.

“He was not responsive to anything. He was just laying there unconscious, struggling to breathe. Short, laboured breath. Frothy blood coming out of his mouth. His eyes were rolling back in his head.”

Bernier painted a grim picture.

“Deformed,” he said. “It was disgusting. I remember his arms tightening and just kind of flexing up and down, just little sounds of moaning.”

Simpson’s mother, Susana Simpson, testified about what life has been like for her family since the attack.

She told court she got a phone call from police on the day her son was attacked and then rushed to Royal Inland Hospital from Kelowna.

“I thought Jessie was in a car accident,” Simpson said. “I didn’t realize someone hit him over the head with a baseball bat. … I just cried when I saw him. It was horrible. I couldn’t recognize my own son.”

In the weeks leading up to the attack, Teichrieb had threatened vigilante action in talks with police about crime in the area of his house, on the corner of Holt Street and Clifford Avenue.

Teichrieb applied for parole in October and was denied.

Simpson’s lawyers have accused Teichrieb of hiding assets — namely his $587,000 Clifford Avenue home — in the wake of the attack. Teichrieb is alleged to have sold the home to his parents for $1.

Simpson is suing Teichrieb for healthcare costs, damages and loss of future earnings. The judgement will likely be substantial.

Teichrieb has already been found civilly liable for the attack on Simpson, meaning he is responsible for any monetary damages or costs stemming from the attack and its aftermath. The purpose of this week’s B.C. Supreme Court hearing is to determine how much money Teichrieb will owe.

The hearing is expected to conclude on Wednesday.

Teichrieb, who is self-represented, was not present on Tuesday, though he was served and comments in his parole documents from October make it clear he was aware of this week's trial.

More Kamloops News