|Full name||Fabián Ruiz Peña|
|Date of birth||3 April 1996|
|Place of birth||Los Palacios y Villafranca, Spain|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|La Unión Los Palacios|
|2014–2016||Real Betis B||23||(2)|
|2017||→ Elche (loan)||18||(1)|
*Club domestic league appearances and goals, correct as of 23:03, 21 May 2023 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals, correct as of 23:50, 25 March 2023 (UTC)
Fabián Ruiz Peña (Spanish pronunciation: [faˈβjan rwiθ ˈpeɲa]; born 3 April 1996), simply known as Fabián, is a Spanish professional footballer who plays as a central midfielder for Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain and the Spain national team.
Born in Los Palacios y Villafranca, Seville, Andalusia, Fabián joined Real Betis' youth setup in 2004, aged eight, after starting it out at EF La Unión de Los Palacios. He was promoted to the reserves in July 2014, and made his senior debut on 21 September, coming on as a second half substitute in a 4–1 home loss against Marbella in the Segunda División B championship.
Fabián played his first match as a professional on 16 December, replacing Xavi Torres in the 51st minute of a 1–0 Segunda División away win against Lugo. He appeared in six matches during the season, as his side achieved promotion to La Liga as champions.
Fabián made his debut in the main category of Spanish football on 23 August 2015, coming on as a substitute for Alfred N'Diaye in a 1–1 home draw against Villarreal.
Loan to Elche
On 23 December of the following year he renewed his contract until 2019, and was immediately loaned to Elche in the second level. He scored his first professional goal on 17 March 2017, netting the first in a 3–1 away win against Gimnàstic de Tarragona.
Fabián contributed with 18 appearances for the side, suffering team relegation.
Upon returning, Fabián became a regular starter under new manager Quique Setién, scoring his first goal in the top tier on 25 September 2017 in a 4–0 home routing of Levante. The following 31 January, he renewed his contract until 2023, setting his buyout clause at €30 million.
On 30 April 2018, Fabián scored the winning goal for Betis as they secured UEFA Europa League qualification for the 2018–19 season following a 2–1 home win over Málaga.
On 5 July 2018, Fabián joined Napoli on a five-year contract until 2023 with Napoli reportedly paying Fabián's €30 million buyout clause. He made his debut on 16 September in a Champions League group game away to Red Star Belgrade, playing the full 90 minutes of a goalless draw. Ten days later he played his first Serie A match and first at the Stadio San Paolo, a 3–0 win over Parma.
On 30 August 2022, Fabián signed for Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) on a five-year contract. He made his debut as a substitute in a 1–0 victory over Brest at the Parc des Princes on 10 September 2022. On 1 February 2023, Fabián scored his first PSG goal in a 3–1 win over Montpellier.
After representing Spain at under-19 and under-21 levels, Fabián was called up to the full side by manager Luis Enrique on 15 March 2019, for two UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying matches against Norway and Malta.
He made his debut on 7 June 2019 in a Euro 2020 qualifier against Faroe Islands, as a 74th-minute substitute for Isco.
On 24 May 2021, Fabián was included in Luis Enrique's 24-man squad for UEFA Euro 2020.
Style of play
A left-footed central midfielder, Fabián is known for his vision, passing, ball control and dribbling skills, as well as his tactical versatility, and can play in a number of formations, such as 4–4–2, 4–3–3, and 4–2–3–1. He can also play as a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder.
- As of match played 21 May 2023
|Real Betis B||2014–15||Segunda División B||19||1||—||—||—||19||1|
|2015–16||Segunda División B||4||2||—||—||—||4||2|
|Real Betis||2014–15||Segunda División||6||0||0||0||—||—||6||0|
|Elche (loan)||2016–17||Segunda División||18||1||—||—||—||18||1|
|Paris Saint-Germain||2022–23||Ligue 1||27||3||3||0||7[c]||0||—||37||3|
- ^ Includes Copa del Rey, Coppa Italia, Coupe de France
- ^ Six appearances in UEFA Champions League, five appearances and one goal in UEFA Europa League
- ^ a b Appearances in UEFA Champions League
- ^ a b Appearances in UEFA Europa League
- As of match played 25 March 2023
- As of match played 25 March 2023. Scores and results list Spain's goal tally first.
|1||18 November 2019||Wanda Metropolitano, Madrid, Spain||6||Romania||1–0||5–0||UEFA Euro 2020 qualification|
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship Golden Player: 2019
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2019
- ^ "Fabián Ruiz" (in Italian). S.S.C Napoli. Archived from the original on 15 September 2018. Retrieved 7 July 2022.
- ^ "Fabián sigue quemando etapas rumbo a la elite" [Fabián keeps on skipping stages towards the elite] (in Spanish). Estadio Deportivo. 20 November 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ^ "Fabián y Gavi, dos palaciegos en el futuro del Betis" [Fabián and Gavi, two Palaciegos in Betis' future] (in Spanish). Cuenta con la Cantera. 16 September 2014. Archived from the original on 9 November 2017. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ^ "El Marbella golea a domicilio al Betis B" [Marbella thrashes Betis B away from home] (in Spanish). Diario Sur. 21 September 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- ^ "El Betis derriba el fortín del Lugo y se acerca a zona de ascenso" [Betis breaks down Lugo's fortress and draws near the promotion zone] (in Spanish). Marca. 13 December 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- ^ "Rubén Castro llega justo a tiempo" [Rubén Castro arrives just in time] (in Spanish). Marca. 24 August 2015. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- ^ "Fabián extends his contract and goes on loan to Elche CF". Real Betis. 23 December 2016. Archived from the original on 5 August 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- ^ "El Betis hace oficial la renovación de Fabián Ruiz hasta 2023" [Betis turn official the renewal of Fabián Ruiz until 2023] (in Spanish). Marca. 31 January 2018. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- ^ "Betis qualify for the Europa League with win over Malaga". Marca. 30 April 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- ^ "Napoli Confirm Signing of Real Betis Talent Fabian Ruiz on Long Term Contract". Sports Illustrated. 5 July 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- ^ "Official: Napoli pay Ruiz clause". Football Italia. 5 July 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- ^ "Le formazioni ufficiali di Stella Rossa-Napoli: Milik titolare, debutta Fabian Ruiz" [Official line-ups for Red Star-Napoli: Milik starter, Fabián Ruiz debuts] (in Italian). Eurosport. 18 September 2018. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- ^ "Fabian Ruiz, l'esordio al San Paolo: prestazione brillante e priva di errori" [Fabián Ruiz, debut at the San Paolo: brilliant performance and devoid of errors] (in Italian). Napoli Calcio Live. 27 September 2018. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- ^ "Fabián Ruiz signs five-year deal with Paris Saint-Germain". Paris Saint-Germain F.C. 30 August 2022. Retrieved 30 August 2022.
- ^ "First appearance for Fabian Ruiz". Paris Saint-Germain F.C. 10 September 2022. Retrieved 10 September 2022.
- ^ "Montpellier 1-3 PSG: Fabian Ruiz assists and scores in costly snoozefest". PSG Post. 2 February 2023. Retrieved 1 June 2023.
- ^ "OFFICIAL | Call-up for the first two EURO Qualifier matches". SeFutbol. 15 March 2019. Archived from the original on 27 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- ^ "Faroe Islands v Spain game report". UEFA. 7 June 2019.
- ^ Braidwood, Jamie (24 May 2021). "Euro 2020 news LIVE: Sergio Ramos left out of Spain squad plus latest before England announcement". The Independent. Retrieved 24 May 2021.
- ^ "Chi è davvero Fabian Ruiz" [Who really is Fabian Ruiz]. ultimouomo.com (in Italian). L'Ultimo Uomo. 22 June 2018. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- ^ Fabián at Soccerway. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- ^ a b "Fabián Ruiz". European Football. Retrieved 14 June 2021.
- ^ "Coppa: Napoli beat Juventus on penalties". Football Italia. 17 June 2020.
- ^ "Spain U21 2–1 Germany U21". 30 June 2019. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- ^ "Official Under-21 Team of the Tournament". UEFA. 1 July 2019. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Fabián at BDFutbol
- Fabián at Futbolme (in Spanish)
- Fabián Ruiz at National-Football-Teams.com
- Fabián Ruiz – French league stats at Ligue 1 – also available in French
- Fabián Ruiz on Twitter
- Fabián Ruiz on Instagram
- 1996 births
- Living people
- People from Los Palacios y Villafranca
- Sportspeople from the Province of Seville
- Spanish footballers
- Footballers from Andalusia
- Men's association football wingers
- Betis Deportivo Balompié footballers
- Real Betis players
- Elche CF players
- S.S.C. Napoli players
- Paris Saint-Germain F.C. players
- Segunda División B players
- Segunda División players
- La Liga players
- Serie A players
- Spain men's youth international footballers
- Spain men's under-21 international footballers
- Spain men's international footballers
- UEFA Euro 2020 players
- Spanish expatriate footballers
- Spanish expatriate sportspeople in Italy
- Expatriate footballers in Italy
- Spanish expatriate sportspeople in France
- Expatriate footballers in France